Southern California breeders... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Southern California breeders...

Good evening,

My wife and I are looking for a quality german shepherd puppy (10-16 weeks), preferably female with medium to heavy red highlights. Our daughter is turning seven and she has shown us that she is ready for a pet, other than a fish.

We need her to have an excellent temperament, very social and excellent with children. Also, we need her to have excellent hips/elbows and an excellent documented bloodline. We will not be showing the dog, but she needs to be capable of being trained to be a good companion and friend, as well as good around other dogs. We have plenty of hiking trails around our house for exercise, a very high energy daughter, and a welcoming home.

Any advise on breeders in the area to seek out, or to not seek out, would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
stevenandvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My nieces are 7. One will be eight in October, the other will be eight in January. They are not slouches. They do Tae Kwon Do, have been riding horses for a year now, have been doing gymnastics and dance for about 3 years, and swimming since they came to us at about a year old.

Last year I put the leashes of a couple of 4 month old puppies in their hands, and they actually pulled the one that is more athletic down.

At six, almost seven, the responsibility for a pet and the training and the management of a puppy is totally on the parents. My sister does not have a pet. She and her girls are very busy and they travel. So it is up to me to help them learn about owning a dog, training dogs, etc.

I have a bitch who is going to be 9 years old in August, and the girls have been walking her for about a year. She is very well-trained. And I am training the girls to work with her. Today, they were reading their books for school to her.

I am not sure what you mean by high energy, when it comes to your daughter. She has to have patience to work with a puppy at all. She has to be able to control herself. She has to be able to listen to your instructions and follow them. And for a puppy, she has to be able to take her hands away and let it sleep, and let it move at its own pace, and let it settle.

I am not saying that it is impossible. I have puppies out there with families with kids. But the puppy is the responsibility of the adults and not a pet only for the kids. At six, almost seven they are not ready for the responsibility of training and managing a GSD puppy.

Don't know any breeders in Southern California. If you find a good breeder, see if they have any trained bitches, that are retiring. You might be able to find a dog that your daughter can handle with supervision a little easier. A retired breeding dog is like a win-win situation, if she comes from a good breeder. The dog should be top quality, with training -- good for you, it can also be very good for the breeder and the dog.

Good luck.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

German Shepherd's are challenging enough for an educated adult to own, train, maintain, give a balanced existence and most importantly love. Seriously, I feel your 7 yr. old daughter might be better suited to have a Goldfish in a bowl, or a Hamster in a cage before trying to walk a high wire without a net..

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

West Coast German Shepherds in Caliente, Barbie has beautiful dogs and may have puppies now.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all of the thoughts. We have a new puppy (McKenna) at home as of last night from Jackie at Grunenfeld. Awesome puppy. My daughter had a leash on her this morning before school and they walked around the front yard for 10 minutes. Awesome puppy and her new best friend forever. This is her dog and we will be helping her to train the puppy. They are great together.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just a quick picture.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Grunefeld is an excellent breeder. One of my first Shepherd's parents was a Grunefeld dog. Socialize the puppy with other dogs and people as much as possible as they are very protective of their people and yard.

Brando GSD 2/14/94 -6/17/03 RIP
Julietta GSD 4/4/03 -11/23/13 RIP

Rest in peace my babies.
Brando & Julietta's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default McKenna is home...

Taking a break on her bed...
Attached Thumbnails
Southern California breeders...-mckenna-060314.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.