German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Breeder in or around NC - WGSL/Whites (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/453890-breeder-around-nc-wgsl-whites.html)

JeaneneR 05-24-2014 02:26 PM

Breeder in or around NC - WGSL/Whites

I'm looking for a shepherd for a friend and running out of leads for good breeders. She is looking for a dog suitable for service/assistance work. She already has a trainer so that isn't an issue but needs to find a good candidate.

She needs a Low to moderate prey drive, Medium to high ball drive, low to moderate energy levels. She will likely be doing sport work (agility, flyball, obedience) with the dog as well but because of her disability doesn't always have the energy levels to work a high drive dog so working lines are out.

She's looking currently for WGSL and maybe even a good white shepherd breeder. She Might consider the right american show dog though in the past neither of us have been impressed with nerves and working drives.

Looking at young adults and puppies at this time.

hunterisgreat 05-24-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeaneneR (Post 5561058)
I'm looking for a shepherd for a friend and running out of leads for good breeders. She is looking for a dog suitable for service/assistance work. She already has a trainer so that isn't an issue but needs to find a good candidate.

She needs a Low to moderate prey drive, Medium to high ball drive, low to moderate energy levels. She will likely be doing sport work (agility, flyball, obedience) with the dog as well but because of her disability doesn't always have the energy levels to work a high drive dog so working lines are out.

She's looking currently for WGSL and maybe even a good white shepherd breeder. She Might consider the right american show dog though in the past neither of us have been impressed with nerves and working drives.

Looking at young adults and puppies at this time.

High ball drive = high prey drive. Don't think you have a clear understanding of drives

JeaneneR 05-24-2014 04:36 PM

You can have a decent retrieve drive without a super high drive to chase small animals. Perhaps I should have been more specific with that but there is a difference in the drives. You can have a dog with super high prey drive with no retrieve drive (I have one at home) and the reverse is also true. Yes the drives come from a similar place but are not the same at all times.

Now back to my original question. I am looking a breeder in or around NC that breeds dogs appropriate for service work. Preference given to a breeder who has already placed one or more pups in successful service homes.

simba405 05-24-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeaneneR (Post 5561458)
You can have a dog with super high prey drive with no retrieve drive (I have one at home) and the reverse is also true.

You have an example?

Last I checked prey drives includes chasing after anything that moves and that includes a ball. The dog not bringing the ball back to you is a training issue.

JeaneneR 05-24-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simba405 (Post 5561514)
You have an example?

Last I checked prey drives includes chasing after anything that moves and that includes a ball. The dog not bringing the ball back to you is a training issue.

Last I checked this doesn't have anything to do with recommending a breeder. I'm not looking to get into an argument on drives, I'm looking for a breeder not a debate.

PMRonan 05-25-2014 09:41 AM

Triad K9 - Our Kennel

Guy is super nice and has legit dogs.

hunterisgreat 05-25-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeaneneR (Post 5561458)
You can have a decent retrieve drive without a super high drive to chase small animals. Perhaps I should have been more specific with that but there is a difference in the drives. You can have a dog with super high prey drive with no retrieve drive (I have one at home) and the reverse is also true. Yes the drives come from a similar place but are not the same at all times.

Now back to my original question. I am looking a breeder in or around NC that breeds dogs appropriate for service work. Preference given to a breeder who has already placed one or more pups in successful service homes.

You can't just slap "drive" after any behavior. You are describing different manifestations of prey drive. Prey drive, food drive, defensive drive, sex drive. That's pretty much all there is. Anything else is a behavior caused by one or more of the drives

kr16 05-25-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRonan (Post 5562922)
Triad K9 - Our Kennel

Guy is super nice and has legit dogs.

Breeder in or around NC - WGSL/Whites

PMRonan 05-25-2014 04:26 PM

generally in my experience a "/" means "and/or"... But good luck with that, teach me to try to suggest someone to has EXCELLENT dogs and is super knowledgeable about what litter dogs on his yard's temperament and abilities tend to have.

carmspack 05-25-2014 04:55 PM

A good breeder won't say , here it is ! exactly what you are looking for , Because everything you asked for is in conflict and confused.

What is her primary need? Therapy , some for of assistance service ? Then go find that . Don't tell the breeder how or what the character profile will be for that purpose. Go to a breeder with experience providing that , and let them tell you , show you , what they have or will have.

this is so confused
"She needs a Low to moderate prey drive, Medium to high ball drive, low to moderate energy levels. She will likely be doing sport work (agility, flyball, obedience) with the dog as well but because of her disability doesn't always have the energy levels to work a high drive dog so working lines are out"

seems like you can't do right because no matter what you provide , there will be a complaint or dissatisfaction . Flyball for instance is high energy , high ball drive , high prey (prey/play) , so much so that there are "breeds" specially created for the advantage in this competitive timed sport. Mixes of border collie and racing greyhound .