German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Big Business Breeder vs Small Hobby Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/453746-big-business-breeder-vs-small-hobby-breeder.html)

Yoshi 05-24-2014 06:46 AM

Big Business Breeder vs Small Hobby Breeder

I've been looking at some working line breeders and I noticed that there is a huge price difference between the big business breeders and the small hobby breeders. But is there a difference in quality of the dog? For example, there's a big breeder and a small breeder and they are both using similar lines. However, the big breeder charges $2500 + GST for just a pet quality dog, limited register, while the small breeder charges $2000, main register. I would pay for freight as well for both.

Now I know that a good dog is priceless and I was prepared to pay $2000 dollars + freight, I was almost even willing to pay $2500 + freight if I really liked the dog/dog's parents. But I am not sure if I want to pay $2500 + GST + Freight for a dog that was on limited papers when another breeder had similar lines for much less and main papers! Is this bad of me? :confused: I mean I would like to have some money left over for emergency vet visits before I suss out good pet insurance.

Also, I know that some small breeders can be just as good, if not better than the big breeders. I know this because my mum breeds horses and they are just as good, and quite a few times, better than the big breeders and she is a small breeder. Is this the same in the dog world? :help: Am I being unreasonable? I just would like a dog that I can love and suites my requirements. :wub:

Freestep 05-24-2014 12:51 PM

There was another discussion about this just recently.

IMO, the "big business" breeders that charge up to $7500 for their "ultimate supreme" puppies are smart business people, but not necessarily better breeders. I would never pay that much for a puppy; the quality is not going to be any better than that from a small "hobby" breeder, and from what I've heard, these big kennels don't even stand behind what they sell.

Kaimeju 05-24-2014 12:54 PM

I think it really depends on the breeders in question and the particular dogs. $2500 isn't an unreasonable price and most breeders that I've seen sell with limited registration. Some will grant you full if you take the time to title the dog later. Small breeders can absolutely produce excellent dogs. It is not a red flag that they are a small operation.

What are your goals for your dog? Is there a particular reason you need full registration?

I bet if you post links to the breeders' websites, you could get opinions on people who have purchased from them before.

LaRen616 05-24-2014 01:12 PM

I personally cannot see myself ever paying more than $2,000 for a puppy, no matter what breed it is. $2,000 is my max price.

I would much rather go for the small hobby breeder who has 1 or 2 litters a year. I feel like they have more time to spend with their puppies and get to know each individual puppy so that they can match it to the proper home, they have more time to communicate with their past and future puppy buyers, they are more likely to not be stressed out or overwhelmed with puppies and dogs.

simba405 05-24-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5560474)
I personally cannot see myself ever paying more than $2,000 for a puppy, no matter what breed it is. $2,000 is my max price.

I would much rather go for the small hobby breeder who has 1 or 2 litters a year. I feel like they have more time to spend with their puppies and get to know each individual puppy so that they can match it to the proper home, they have more time to communicate with their past and future puppy buyers, they are more likely to not be stressed out or overwhelmed with puppies and dogs.

Same. No way I'm paying 2000 for a pup unless that thing ****s gold or I'm a top competitor/working.

With that said a big breeder has produced many Pups and you are paying for that reputation or track record. If they are consistently producing good dogs then they should charge more than a hobby breeder who might have great dogs but great dogs don't always mean great Pups.

I got mine from a hobby breeder and don't regret it for a second. Good hobby breeders work their dogs and like what they see so they breed.

I'd also go with the breeder that is easy reached and will support you. Mine called me when he dropped the pup off at the airport and called me that night to make sure the pup made it. Also called to check up on the dog periodically. Can't go wrong either way. Reputable is reputable. Unless you're really experienced you can't tell the differences in the dogs anyways

Yoshi 05-26-2014 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaimeju (Post 5560434)
I think it really depends on the breeders in question and the particular dogs. $2500 isn't an unreasonable price and most breeders that I've seen sell with limited registration. Some will grant you full if you take the time to title the dog later. Small breeders can absolutely produce excellent dogs. It is not a red flag that they are a small operation.

What are your goals for your dog? Is there a particular reason you need full registration?

I bet if you post links to the breeders' websites, you could get opinions on people who have purchased from them before.

I'm not sure if I need full registration because I don't plan to breed unless if the dog is awesome and I believe he would make a great contribution to the breed. :wub: I just always thought that limited papers were less expensive? It's also a pet peeve of my parents for some reason . . . :eek:

"I am really after a companion dog, but I also would like a dog with typical German Shepherd temperament. I do not plan on doing competition sports, but would rather do practical jobs with him like a bit of herding or tracking, or guarding property/farm animals. I do roustabouting and working in the sheep-yards a fair bit. I really, really, do not want a timid dog or a dog that lacks clarity. But yeah, mainly a companion that does random jobs every now and then." ~ That from a post in another thread. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post5564866

But yeah, this is what I am looking for. :)

The big breeder is Von Forell and I hear they have some good dogs but I was told that in a few of their litters they are using Bruno so now I am not so sure . . . :confused: Looking for the perfect dog is not as easy as many make it out to be!

Yoshi 05-26-2014 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshi (Post 5564874)
I'm not sure if I need full registration because I don't plan to breed unless if the dog is awesome and I believe he would make a great contribution to the breed. :wub: I just always thought that limited papers were less expensive? It's also a pet peeve of my parents for some reason . . . :eek:

EDIT: Believe should be believed. :p

sparra 05-26-2014 08:01 AM

My neighbour has a Von Forell dog......he is pretty great......he is actually related to my bloke which we find funny as we live in the middle of nowhere ......no one around here owns GSD and ours are related.....probably cause they are WL :)

Yoshi 05-26-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparra (Post 5564962)
My neighbour has a Von Forell dog......he is pretty great......he is actually related to my bloke which we find funny as we live in the middle of nowhere ......no one around here owns GSD and ours are related.....probably cause they are WL :)

Hi Sparra, could you please tell me who bred your dog? I'm curious about your experiences. :) Pm me if you feel that is better. Almost no one I know personally has had a working line German Shepherd and all I have are the breeders' word. I really wish I could post puppies' parents and see what other knowledgeable working line breeders have to say. :p I'm no expert but I really would like to make the right decision.