German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Working Line health clearances (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/451265-working-line-health-clearances.html)

Sarah'sSita 05-18-2014 12:12 AM

Working Line health clearances

Anyone know of high quality working line breeders that will have their breeding stock tested for DM using the OFA test?
you can pm or post

This is a simple, cheap test. Any idea why more breeders aren't testing their breeding stock to help minimize degenerative myelopathy?

hunterisgreat 05-18-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah'sSita (Post 5531193)
Anyone know of high quality working line breeders that will have their breeding stock tested for DM using the OFA test?
you can pm or post

This is a simple, cheap test. Any idea why more breeders aren't testing their breeding stock to help minimize degenerative myelopathy?

Pm sent

volcano 05-18-2014 12:48 AM

My girl is from a "backyard" working line breeder. When I got her there were no tests yet but now her parents have good ofa and negative dm.

Sabis mom 05-18-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah'sSita (Post 5531193)
you can pm or post

I'd like an answer to that as well

Xeph 05-18-2014 03:20 AM

Not everybody believes in the validity of the test.

Chris Wild 05-18-2014 10:37 AM

As Xeph said, there is question as to the validity of the test. It is also very new, and more and more breeders are using it each year so I definitely see an increase. However it is only a piece of the puzzle. Good for breeders to gather some additional info to plan breedings, but DM testing alone shouldn't be a primary motivator to doing a breeding. Same for any other one, single trait.

wolfstraum 05-18-2014 10:53 AM

OFA only recently added this test to their database....there were private labs doing it a few years back. I have done/will do (have the tests just have to get them done) my young dogs....and know that my two young females, Bengal and Kira, are both clears...I think one is done through OFA and the other through a lab....

I am not totally convinced that it is totally reliable....but it was cheap and easy to do -do I think it will help me make decisions for choosing stud dogs? That remains to be seen....I probably would pass on a Pos/Pos....but with a clear female, I can still use a Pos/Clear male without serious doubts....

A friend has a gorgeous Falk v d Wolfen son....beautiful dog, bone, color, head - you'd think he was a DDR dog!!! He is 8 - his dam is an Olex Valsory daughter....these two dogs have been used extensively - as were their sires and their progeny....The Falk son has rapidly progressiing DM.... and you can see that the genes for DM are so so so widespread.....I think I will limit my breeding to at most a male who is Pos/Clear....

Lee

Sarah'sSita 05-18-2014 12:06 PM

Right there are concerns about validity of the test, but it is my understanding the more recent OFA test is valid - meaning the results of tests have been reproduced enough to deem it an appropriate measure. It is understood that they are many genetic traits to watch out for, however DM has been partially isolated to a specific KNOWN genetic mutation - unlike many more complicated genetic issues affecting the breed, plus the test is relatively cheap and provides breeders another tool to work with or not. Although risks of genetic "bottleneck" are also concerning, more breeders are using due diligence to develop their own quality working line dogs to be clear of genetic this trait. Perhaps we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water on this one. Disclaimer - I am not a breeder nor genetics expert by any means. I am curious

Xeph 05-18-2014 12:18 PM

People still aren't convinced. They even believe that there are different types of DM. GSDs aren't the only breed that can get it. Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Boxers also suffer from it, but it apparently presents differently.

Guardyan 05-18-2014 01:13 PM

The following link contains info pertinent to the discussion:

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

There are dogs that have been found to have DM even though they were DM Clear.