Be careful who you purchase from - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Be careful who you purchase from

My GSD is a wonderful alpha, guard dog! Wendy was born that way. I had no experience about choosing breeders. When I first got her, she was aloof. She loved to play, but had not really been "introduced" to loving and being picked up! She is very obedient and attentive. But please check the breeder carefully! Dr. Preiser is great with GSD's, but they are not your "fun, easy going pups".
ana lucy hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

sound advice. one must learn about the different types of gsd and choose one that fits your life style.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What is your definition of alpha/guard dog? What are you seeing in the dog that makes you think that?

BTW...I grew up in Buffalo Grove!
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi, thanks for asking. Though Wendy is extremely sweet with us, she's always on guard. When we walk, though she stays by my side and obeys...you can tell that she is watching for danger. Where some dogs just walk and enjoy themselves sniffing, Wendy does that, but she keeps one eye peeled to anyone approaching us.

It's hard to explain. Kelly, her trainer, who is also a breeder noticed it when she first evaluated her before we began training. By the way, we went to Tops in Grayslake! What a place!!! Wendy was "put" through a gauntlet of K9's. She went to her full height, her hair bristled and she stared four down. One actually went #1 while standing there!

While training, Kelly noticed that she was very dominant. Though she obeyed, you could tell that she was "thinking about it."

I've met Wendy's half sisters, and brother. They all have the same attitude. Strong, protective and can stare any dog down. I love her and she's my baby, but she's incredibly strong willed. It's good, it keeps me on my toes with training. All of her siblings have gone on to win Schutzhund trials. Her father Santo Von der Neuen Welt is a champion.
These dogs are not meant to play with children. I could go on an on, but I think I've explained as much as I can.

I love our area, I'm right by Lake Arlington.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

You know, you learn by experience. It's weird, but whenever I've gone to Tops and one Wendy's siblings are there, I can always tell! They're all aggressive (though trained) and don't take "garbage" from anyone!! Though Wendy melts in her trainer's hands!!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana lucy hernandez View Post
Hi, thanks for asking. Though Wendy is extremely sweet with us, she's always on guard. When we walk, though she stays by my side and obeys...you can tell that she is watching for danger. Where some dogs just walk and enjoy themselves sniffing, Wendy does that, but she keeps one eye peeled to anyone approaching us.

It's hard to explain. Kelly, her trainer, who is also a breeder noticed it when she first evaluated her before we began training. By the way, we went to Tops in Grayslake! What a place!!! Wendy was "put" through a gauntlet of K9's. She went to her full height, her hair bristled and she stared four down. One actually went #1 while standing there!

While training, Kelly noticed that she was very dominant. Though she obeyed, you could tell that she was "thinking about it."

I've met Wendy's half sisters, and brother. They all have the same attitude. Strong, protective and can stare any dog down. I love her and she's my baby, but she's incredibly strong willed. It's good, it keeps me on my toes with training. All of her siblings have gone on to win Schutzhund trials. Her father Santo Von der Neuen Welt is a champion.
These dogs are not meant to play with children. I could go on an on, but I think I've explained as much as I can.

I love our area, I'm right by Lake Arlington.
My "alpha/dominant guard dogs" play with kids all the time...
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know. Wendy was never around kids. She knows how to behave around them, but she's not too happy with so much noise!!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
My "alpha/dominant guard dogs" play with kids all the time...
Love Hunter! He's beautiful. By the way, you might enjoy watching Komissar Rex on YouTube. They have it in German, but with English subtitles. You just have to write "English subtitles." Wendy and I are addicted to the show. I wish she was like Rex, but she's no clown!!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why would a dog need to "think about it" while training in a place where everything is secure? Dog believes everything in this world is ready to kill it? To each their own I guess...

Stick around, learn what makes a dominant/guard dog, I'm not surprised about how you feel after going to Tops...you'll find a lot of mixed reviews about them in our area.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana lucy hernandez View Post
Love Hunter! He's beautiful. By the way, you might enjoy watching Komissar Rex on YouTube. They have it in German, but with English subtitles. You just have to write "English subtitles." Wendy and I are addicted to the show. I wish she was like Rex, but she's no clown!!
You made me blush. I prefer handsome though, it's less emasculating to my ego.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.