German Shepherds Forum banner

Be careful who you purchase from

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 ·
My GSD is a wonderful alpha, guard dog! Wendy was born that way. I had no experience about choosing breeders. When I first got her, she was aloof. She loved to play, but had not really been "introduced" to loving and being picked up! She is very obedient and attentive. But please check the breeder carefully! Dr. Preiser is great with GSD's, but they are not your "fun, easy going pups".

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for asking. Though Wendy is extremely sweet with us, she's always on guard. When we walk, though she stays by my side and obeys...you can tell that she is watching for danger. Where some dogs just walk and enjoy themselves sniffing, Wendy does that, but she keeps one eye peeled to anyone approaching us.

It's hard to explain. Kelly, her trainer, who is also a breeder noticed it when she first evaluated her before we began training. By the way, we went to Tops in Grayslake! What a place!!! Wendy was "put" through a gauntlet of K9's. She went to her full height, her hair bristled and she stared four down. One actually went #1 while standing there!

While training, Kelly noticed that she was very dominant. Though she obeyed, you could tell that she was "thinking about it."

I've met Wendy's half sisters, and brother. They all have the same attitude. Strong, protective and can stare any dog down. I love her and she's my baby, but she's incredibly strong willed. It's good, it keeps me on my toes with training. All of her siblings have gone on to win Schutzhund trials. Her father Santo Von der Neuen Welt is a champion.
These dogs are not meant to play with children. I could go on an on, but I think I've explained as much as I can.

I love our area, I'm right by Lake Arlington.

#9 ·
Why would a dog need to "think about it" while training in a place where everything is secure? Dog believes everything in this world is ready to kill it? To each their own I guess...

Stick around, learn what makes a dominant/guard dog, I'm not surprised about how you feel after going to Tops...you'll find a lot of mixed reviews about them in our area.

#11 ·
I go to a different club(in Illinois) and the dogs there are pretty well behaved. There are a few that are aggressive, but not many. My dogs are always watching their surroundings, they don't bark unless absolutely necessary and noise doesn't bother them. I don't know where either of them come from but they are perfect examples of what a GSD should be. I don't want a dog that will stare another dog down, that is nothing but them looking for trouble. A nicely trained GSD will focus on its owner and if they feel they don't trust a person they might watch them until they feel the threat is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.