Point of certain pricing schedule - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Point of certain pricing schedule

I have spotted a pricing schedule on some breeders websites that have excellent choice/exceptional choice/ superb/ ultimate choice. Just curious to know and doesn't hurt asking. Asking in regards the point of it, and the difference towards other breeders pricing, pros and cons too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Those pricing schedules are nothing but marketing to a niche clientele who are looking to purchase prestige.

I feel that these pricing schedules are scams, aimed at uneducated people - either way, it is very effective, depending on the kind of person who purchases. People who like to feel like they made a smart purchase are happy, because they can get a "pet quality pup" pup from highly marketed parents and lines at what they feel is a lower price, and people in the market for prestige and conspicuous consumption are happy, because they are willing to pay more (often a LOT more) for what they feel is something special.

Don't be fooled - they are puppies from the SAME parents, marketed to appeal to different psychological factors. You often see these pricing schemes from big-name show line breeders, who are really nothing more than glorified puppy factories, with dozens of litters being bred at a time, selling to anyone that flashes money around.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

What Castlemaid said! Those pricings are a joke, if only it was funny and people weren't so gullible. I've seen those websites with grossly overpriced puppies, stay away from them. I just don't understand the people who brag they paid x-thousands for a puppy. I'm all for buying a well-bred puppy, I am against breeders who grossly overcharge, especially when they play games like that.
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with the others. Those kinds of pricing tiers are aimed at the gullible, novice puppy buyer. With pricing up to $8000 per puppy, it had better poop gold. It amazes me that people will even entertain paying these kinds of prices, but like P.T. Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.

If this is the breeder I'm thinking of, there was a member here who bought one of her higher-price puppies that turned out to be a mess, both in health and temperament, and the breeder would not honor their guarantee. Buyer beware.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I agree with the others. Those kinds of pricing tiers are aimed at the gullible, novice puppy buyer. With pricing up to $8000 per puppy, it had better poop gold. It amazes me that people will even entertain paying these kinds of prices, but like P.T. Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.

If this is the breeder I'm thinking of, there was a member here who bought one of her higher-price puppies that turned out to be a mess, both in health and temperament, and the breeder would not honor their guarantee. Buyer beware.
Seems real to me and some how suspicion in the gut was right again. I agree over pricing makes no sense absolutely. All the dogs will come out with different personality and from the same parents. Perhaps it is working reasons what people want to do. For example, doing certain work shutzund/prospect/breeding whatever is different than a family pet type. Would it be alright to asks breeders who do this the reason?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes a breeder will have different pricing for pets vs. show/working quality animals, with the "pet" being discounted. Some breeders will ask a little bit more for the "pick of the litter". I don't have a problem with this. But when you have a litter of pups and one puppy is $2500 and one is $7500? That's just insane. Especially when you're evaluating pups at 8 weeks of age.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Of course there's the possibility that some *lucky* (& very special) buyers get one heckuva deal on those 7/8K pups...ie the breeder is sooo impressed with the home they'd provide that the lucky (& impressionable buyers) are offered a heavily discounted price. Note that this sale price is probably still considerably higher than pups from other less gimmicky breeders. Many, many people will be thrilled & impressed to get a 7K pup for a mere 4K or a 3K pup for 1.5K which is just a steal of a deal, yanno...

Remember that the asking or advertised price is not necessarily the selling price. These breeders move pups & while they're eager to close a sale for 7/8K, I suspect that they're willing to let the pups go for considerably less while giving gullible buyers the impression they got the buy of the century.

What concerns me more is that a couple of these breeders have had a lot of health, temperament & early death problems. One of em hired an expert to solve a serious parvo problem & then refused to comply with any of her recommendations while pups continued to sicken & die. It might be a bit dodgy when pups cost 4 & 5x the general market price due to advertising hype & inflated claims. It's much, much worse when the pups are dross masquerading as gold.

Buyers should investigate thoroughly, evaluate carefully, question closely & ultimately make an informed decision that is right for them, their family, their circumstances & community. The right dog is such a blessing but the wrong dog can be a disaster.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Amazingly these people know the 'ultimate supreme' from the 'choice' (which by the way are few and far between) by the age of 2 weeks! There are 4 in the metroplex (all in cahoots with each other) and sadly have been in business for many years....meaning gullible people pay those ridiculous prices. Puppy mills with a paint job (website).
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom View Post
Amazingly these people know the 'ultimate supreme' from the 'choice' (which by the way are few and far between) by the age of 2 weeks! There are 4 in the metroplex (all in cahoots with each other) and sadly have been in business for many years....meaning gullible people pay those ridiculous prices. Puppy mills with a paint job (website).
So that kind of pricing is a ding for a puppy mill.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"puppy mill" is used so much that it means different things to different people....

the one breeder/broker I am thinking of as an example, is not a puppy mill in the sense that the dogs are stuffed into small cages, bred constantly, never vetted and taken out and "put down" with a bullet when they get old or sick...but instead a large scale commercial operation which uses such descriptions to appeal to the customer's desire to buy something exceptional in quality - and those people equate price with quality....a decked out Suburban can run the same sticker price as a Mercedes but the cachet is in the perception of the 'soccer mom' vehicle opposed to the "elite" vehicle...

The pups at some of these commercial operations are no better or worse than any hobby breeder using the same genetic families....Just the website bells and whistles try to convince customers they are getting something better because the price is inflated and a fancy label put on the pup.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.