German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   American Expats in Belgium seeking responsible German breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/446810-american-expats-belgium-seeking-responsible-german-breeder.html)

juliejewel 05-06-2014 06:06 AM

American Expats in Belgium seeking responsible German breeder

Hello everyone. My husband, myself, and our three kids ages 5,3,and 1 are over here in Waterloo, Belgium (Brussels area) for a 2 year expat assignment. Our dog we had in the states recently passed away before we moved here. We are ready for a new start and as we obviously are not in the states, we can't get a dog over there. I had German Shepherds as a child, and have a love for the breed and think they make excellent family dogs. Does anyone know of any reputable good breeders in Germany? We are very close to Dusseldorf, Frankfurt sort of area (the mid-western German area).

Specifically we are looking for a family companion dog, hip and elbow certifications are a big deal to us (we just went through a devastating pet loss - so we are very concerned about this), we would like a female, and like the look of the West German Shepherds. Temperment is also obviously a big deal to us, having small children - the dog needs to not be nervous or skittish, and needs to be patient and tolerant. I have been in contact with Gunbil German Shepherds in America, and like that they have the guarantees on health, and the hip/elbow certifications, also really liked the look of their dogs - and they have facilities over here in Germany, however; it seems very expensive at $3,800 for a puppy (not including shipping obviously).

Does anyone on here know of any other Germany located breeders that have good reputations or has had personal experience with any? I don't speak German, so English is a must for us. Thank you so much for your help in advance :)

wolfstraum 05-06-2014 09:21 AM

there are quite a few breeders in Belgium who speak English....some are more reputable than others!

Even if you were in the States, I don't think many here would endorse your interest in Gunbil - who is highly over priced!

I will IM you the contact info for a friend of mine who speaks good English who can point you to someone in Belgium or in Germany with showline dogs....the people I have met and the ones I know a bit better are all working line people but should be willing and able to find you a show line breeder....with reasonably priced pups....I don't think you should pay more than 800 Euros for a pet pup...

Lee

juliejewel 05-06-2014 11:27 AM

Thank you so much, I would appreciate any help or names you could offer my way. It is very hard to get information on breeders over here when you don't speak the language: and the websites are just not as prevalent as the U.S. breeders.

asja 05-06-2014 11:43 AM

Small world, I lived in Aachen for several years and we spent some time in Brussels. I love Brussels. We got two dogs from a small breeder just north of Frankfurt, and they are breeding one of their dogs soon. Their English is a little questionable, but they are honest and fair people. I have a 2 year old daughter and our dog is great. The going rate for a puppy is around 800 Euros, don't pay more than that or they are taking advantage of you.

Vom Barbatus
They are breeding their dog Finja, who is quite dark, not the classic black and tan if that's what you are interested in.