German Shepherds Forum banner

I don't want to make the same mistake

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  vomlittlehaus 
#1 ·
Hello!
About 3 years ago I purchased a GSD from a breeder in NH. I am a bit ashamed that I did not do my research as well as I should have. I will admit that I was looking for a long coat female and that is what I focused on in my search. I found a breeder with the long coat, did a little checking around and thought they were legit. I have a wonderful dog whom I wouldn't trade for the world, but she is probably going to have some health problems due to her breeding. I wish I had spent more time looking and asking questions. I was a first time owner, a very naive one at that. I am now hoping to add another member to the family and am reaching out to anyone who may be familiar with breeders in the New England area. I am again looking for a long coated shepherd. Any insight or advise would be greatly and sincerely appreciated. Thanks for your time :):help:

#3 ·
Yes, I would agree with HG that perhaps your initial mistake was focusing on coat length. As I understand it, a long hair can crop up in a litter with many regular coated siblings. But breeding for long coats (I've had two - they were great dogs) - as I understand it, that isn't recommended any more than breeding for blues or livers.

#4 ·
As stated above, breeding for a long coat specifically might compromise other traits and health. The long coat gene is recessive and will show up in well bred litters if both parents carry the gene. I know someone with a very plush coated male, of great breeding. She is probably going to have to lease a female to get a pup out of him. All her females are related to him, so its going to take some work. I know my West german working line female carries the recessive for long stock coat (she has produced some). There is a breeder out there for you and you may have to wait for the coated one to show up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.