Looking for a Breeder in Southwestern PA Area - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a Breeder in Southwestern PA Area

Hi all, I've been reading these forums for about week now, and learning a lot.

I'm looking for a German shepherd puppy within a few hours driving distance of Southwestern PA.

The dog will be a family dog. I'll take him to obedience classes for fun and socialization, but nothing competitive. I don't have much of a preference in color, though I prefer not to have a solid black or solid white one, but we do prefer a shorter coat rather than a long one.

I've done some searching on breeders in the area, but I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for. I found some gorgeous working shepherds near here, but it sounds like that's not what will be best for us as a family pet.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Sharon802 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

You dont have to get into competions with your dog. But continuing with classes is a great activity you and your dog can do together. I think you are speaking of working line GSD's in your comment "but it sounds like that's not what will be best for us as a family pet." Is it because of the drive level, the activity level? The GSD has been bred for years as a working breed. Are you sure a GSD is the right breed for you? There a lots of people with well bred working line GSD's as family pets. Daily walks (is good for everyone), some mental stimulation and letting them just go where ever you go is all they need.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

I was under the impression that "working" in regards to German shepherds meant they are active in some kind of competitions? I could be wrong though! I read another thread on here about breeders specifying they wanted their pups to go to "working homes" and it talked about dogs competing and being out there to promote that particular bloodline. It could just be my terminology is wrong.

I expect a family shepherd to be as active as my young son during the day, but still be calm enough to cuddle and be petted sometimes too.

Yes, I am sure a German shepherd is what we want. I've been around German shepherds since I was 5. (I'm over 40 now.) But my family has always gotten them from rescues, or shelters, and they've always been just pets, so we don't know any of the breeders, and I am not very knowledgeable in all the bloodlines and terminology. I've adopted three "German shepherd puppies" from shelters so far who, when they grew up, really didn't look like they had much shepherd in them. This time, I want to know what I'm getting.

We have six acres in a wooded/rural area, we're usually outside 2+ hours a day (weather permitting), and I work from home and only part-time. My last "German shepherd puppy" turned out to be an Australian Kelpie, so I am used to active dogs. I also am very aware of the socialization needs of shepherds compared to other dogs, and I have experience with obedience training as well. I did advanced obedience and agility lessons with my Kelpie for fun.

So....anyone know where I can get a shepherd from a reliable breeder in this area? My top two priorities are temperament, because there will be young children around, and sound hip genetics.

Thank you.

Last edited by Sharon802; 05-02-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Sharon802 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vom-H...s/296969018132
http://www.vomhausweinbrand.com/Puppies.htm
not right in your area, but within driving distance...litter due soon.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have known Valerie for a LONG time. :-) Excellent, hands on breeder - trains, shows, dogs in her breeding program are versatile.
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

You said you really dont want solid black. But how could you not want a puppy that looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a Breeder in Southwestern PA Area-010-6-.jpg  
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.