German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Breeder in Ga (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/444865-breeder-ga.html)

wyowolf 05-01-2014 12:11 PM

Breeder in Ga

Looking at Breeders in Georgia, specifically German Shepherd USA in Cedertown Ga, anyone have any experience with this one?
or can recommenced a good breeder in Georgia?

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 05-01-2014 12:20 PM

This place gives me really bad vibes - aside from the point that they don't list any OFA results for any of their dogs, nor any titles, under their "our dogs" section there appear to be a HUGE amount of dogs and their kennel is licensed by the state. All of this leads me to believe they are a large-scale, commercial operation - and if that's true, it's not someone I would ever want to support or purchase a dog from.

What kind of GSD are you looking for? What lines?
Here is a bunch of info to start with:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-breeder.html

wyowolf 05-01-2014 12:41 PM

I am looking for a good family dog, probably female for my 11 yr old son and I. I grew up with one and just fell in love with them.
I looked at a couple others... but i cant see spending several thousand on one, not for what I am looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5456897)
This place gives me really bad vibes - aside from the point that they don't list any OFA results for any of their dogs, nor any titles, under their "our dogs" section there appear to be a HUGE amount of dogs and their kennel is licensed by the state. All of this leads me to believe they are a large-scale, commercial operation - and if that's true, it's not someone I would ever want to support or purchase a dog from.

What kind of GSD are you looking for? What lines?
Here is a bunch of info to start with:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-breeder.html

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 05-01-2014 12:55 PM

You can get a well-bred GSD from a good breeder for about $1500 (maybe a bit less). Read through that link I posted, research the lines and determine which will best fit with your goals of having a dog. Then, find a breeder that will match those goals. It will be worth your time and money to find a good breeder who does health checks on the parents (hips, elbows, DM, etc) and titles and/or works the dogs (give you an idea on the dog's temperament).

wyowolf 05-01-2014 01:11 PM

1500? The lowest I have found was 3k+
if you could point me to a good breeder for 1500 i would be grateful :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5457113)
You can get a well-bred GSD from a good breeder for about $1500 (maybe a bit less). Read through that link I posted, research the lines and determine which will best fit with your goals of having a dog. Then, find a breeder that will match those goals. It will be worth your time and money to find a good breeder who does health checks on the parents (hips, elbows, DM, etc) and titles and/or works the dogs (give you an idea on the dog's temperament).

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 05-01-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyowolf (Post 5457241)
1500? The lowest I have found was 3k+
if you could point me to a good breeder for 1500 i would be grateful :)

German showlines tend to be more expensive - maybe that's what you've been looking at? Look at working lines and American showlines - really with the right breeder you could find a family pet with either line. But, I think you should research what you are looking for first.

This is an American showline breeder in Florida that has puppies available now, I don't know what they charge, I've met some of their dogs in the past:
JLyn Shepherds - Home Page

Here is a working line breeder that I have seen others on this board recommend, but I personally don't know anything about:
Atlanta K9 Academy

Xeph 05-01-2014 07:21 PM

My bitch's mother is out of a Jlyn bitch :) There are several decent breeders of AmLines down in GA and AL

everglades 05-02-2014 10:45 AM

Vonlotta has good reviews in that part of Georgia.

wyowolf 05-05-2014 09:10 AM

I visited the Von Lotta kennels and was very impressed.

Does anyone have any reviews on Vom Zeder Haus?
Authentic German Shepherd puppies for sale Tennessee Kentucky
He has quite an extensive website with a TON of information
I tried a search but came up empty.

Frank

Gwenhwyfair 05-09-2014 11:36 AM

A couple of folks have dogs from von den oher tannen as well. They are just south of ATL Von den Oher Tannen

Send member Neko a PM on this kennel she has two Oher Tannen dogs now.

On the other kennel you mentioned in TN I'd just double check their breeding dogs born here in the US are certified by the OFA, X-rays on file at vet isn't the same as official OFA scores. This statement on their website was confusing..(and boy that is one wordy, wordy web site LOL!)

Quote:

Regarding our warranties for our puppies, we give a written warranty for crippling Hip Dysplasia. This disease is rare in the Authentic German Shepherd, however our dogs hips are either certified in Europe or they have x-rays on file with our Veterinarian here in Tennessee