Kennel breeder vs no kennel free space breeder? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Kennel breeder vs no kennel free space breeder?

I am questioning differences regarding to kennels. Some breeders use kennels others don't. Months ago a breeder I went to talk to face to face briefly discussed kennels. Reasoning says, it effects personality and their environment. It makes a difference for dogs when they are in kennels or no kennels. Anyways, I don't know much about this topic it recently came up to mind. Although, haven't thought much about no kennel breeders vs kennels. What are the differences? What are the pros and cons about kennel breeders vs no kennel free space breeders? What effects does it have on dogs? What are the red flags for kennels and no kennels environment?
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am not sure. A stallion got out of the barn one day and breed a mare, he was the male (talking about horses) , we know. I am not joking when I say (talking about horses) if I didn't see a stallion broke out from down the road trotting up and down my field.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I never heard about free range breeder. Get the blood work done if you are really going to do that.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are you talking about breeders who house their dogs in kennel runs vs. their own homes?
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am not sure what you are asking-think any breeder is going to have some area set up for puppies or its going to get very messy
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think the question is odd and not really relevant.

If you are talking about a breeder who keeps the breeding stock in runs all the time and is a mass producing operation then I would runaway runaway but I would expect most breeders to have kennel runs and probably rotate dogs around because, for one, I would not expect them to all "get along" with one another, plus you have to control who gets to mate with who - you can't have all your dogs running around together all the time.

Of course with the USDA getting into dog breeding. Hmmmmm

Cage raised
Free Range
Pasture Raised

Organic

It could be interesting? Just kidding. Lobobear, I know there are no "bad" questions but it would probably be better for you to, as we have suggested, get out there with flesh and blood GSD people who are working and showing dogs than ask a bunch of questions related to finding a breeder via the internet when you are, possibly, several years away from getting a dog.

I just bet if you do that, you may find suggestions based on seeing real dogs in the real world who impress you. .

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Do you mean big time commercial breeders vs hobby breeders?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Personnally, I think having the mom and pups in the house is better. I think it gets the pups used to people and sounds more quickly. The breeder can keep a better eye on mom and pups by not having to go out to a kennel.

My breeder keeps her pack together in her house and her yard, but she only has six dogs. Adult dogs help train the pups as they get older. I have no experience with kennel raised pups -- this is my gut reaction not based on any facts.
brightspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

If the genetics are solid, it won't matter in the long run. I know someone who bought a 14 month old dog that was born in an outdoor kennel, lived in that kennel for 14 months and had no real training or outside socialization. Within a few weeks, the dog was living in the house, potty trained, fine with the other pets in the house. Because she was 14 months old she could already "hold it" a long time so the transition to the house was easy.

As far as ethics or how a dog is treated, there's more to it than whether a breeder uses kennels or not. I don't have any blanket rule that says I don't accept using outdoor kennels/runs. Wish I had space for one myself!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My Grim was a kennel dog when I got him at 2. He had only barely been in a house and was a better house dog than Beau who is still a PITA inside (housebroken but into everything)

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.