German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Kalmes Acres Shepherds (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/443722-kalmes-acres-shepherds.html)

noahsmommy2007 04-28-2014 12:42 PM

Kalmes Acres Shepherds

We just purchased our puppy from this breeder. I recently saw a thread mentioning to stay away from her...could anyone please PM me or elaborate further? We are quite concerned. Thanks!

noahsmommy2007 04-28-2014 06:16 PM

Thanks everyone, for your input! Should we consider re-homing her? We just booked an appointment for a reputable trainer in our area (who we found out too late, also breeds GSD's), and he is going to do a thorough evaluation on her.

When typically are OFA results best for? We thought that 2 years was good, but clearly, we should have looked further. She seems to be rather challenging...but we are guessing that is typical puppy behavior? The breeder also mentioned that she takes them away from the mom's area during the 6 week mark, although extended it to 7 for ours because they 'forgot'...I was concerned that that extra week might have made a big difference. Or is 7 weeks still enough time with her mom and litter? They are all on-site, so we didn't understand why she would take her away that early.

JakodaCD OA 04-28-2014 06:39 PM

why would you rehome her? You bought her, stick with her.

She probably is showing typical puppy behavior.

Tho I don't know the breeder, only LaRen's experience, it says on the site they don't 'home' their puppies out until 8 weeks. It sounds like from your post, they just remove them from the mother at 6 weeks which is ok.

Did you get your puppy when it was 8 weeks?

Do your evaluation, deal with what you've got, you may learn alot from the experience..

DaniFani 04-28-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahsmommy2007 (Post 5443026)
Thanks everyone, for your input! Should we consider re-homing her? We just booked an appointment for a reputable trainer in our area (who we found out too late, also breeds GSD's), and he is going to do a thorough evaluation on her.

When typically are OFA results best for? We thought that 2 years was good, but clearly, we should have looked further. She seems to be rather challenging...but we are guessing that is typical puppy behavior? The breeder also mentioned that she takes them away from the mom's area during the 6 week mark, although extended it to 7 for ours because they 'forgot'...I was concerned that that extra week might have made a big difference. Or is 7 weeks still enough time with her mom and litter? They are all on-site, so we didn't understand why she would take her away that early.

Sorry, but this post kind of makes me mad. You just created another thread about a dog in urgent need of adoption, yet you are willing to drop off/rehome this PUPPY because you read some bad reviews about it's breeder online?? The puppy could be fine...could have some issues. It's not the puppy's fault you didn't do your research and that it came from such a breeder. It is what it is. The one thing most of us have in common is when we found out our first dog's breeder wasn't stellar, it didn't change our love and commitment to the dog.

However, imo, if your first inclination after reading nine people's negative reactions to your breeder is to dump the dog, I think you should find it a home that will love and care for it. I think from now on you are going to be looking for everything wrong you can find in this dog.

Argh, I'm going to stop there before I go too far.

LaRen616 04-28-2014 07:18 PM

I do not think the OP should rehome her puppy.

I have stated it a million times on this forum and I told the OP through PM that my dog is fantastic, he really is the best dog I have ever met and I have had several other people make the same comment. He's ridiculously smart, catches on very fast, he's a joy to take places, very well behaved and very loyal to me. Even though he didn't come from a reputable breeder he is an amazing dog, I would never give him up for all the money in the world, he's the best decision I ever made. I don't regret buying him, I regret giving her money.

OP keep your puppy, love her, spoil her, train her and later on in life when you are ready for another puppy, do more research, support a breeder that does all the proper health testing and titles their dogs in show or work/sport.

Sabis mom 04-28-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahsmommy2007 (Post 5443026)

Why would you rehome her? She's just a baby, you bought her and you need to deal with her.
A trainer who breeds GSDs is likely going to make some harsh judgements, take them for what they are worth. Be prepared to hear a lot about living up to bad breeding. Hopefully he will be fair in his assessment, but she is still really young?
Ideally pups need to be with Momma until at least 8 weeks, I prefer to see 10 weeks. A breeder who forgot would scare the crap out of me.
Ideally hips should be prelimed prior to 24 months and then checked again after 24 months when most of the growing is done.

holland 04-28-2014 08:20 PM

Puppies do not need to be with their mother for 8 weeks-they are usually weaned much before that- it is important for them to have that time with their litter mates

noahsmommy2007 04-28-2014 09:21 PM

I think that my question came off wrong here. It's interesting that I was just asking the previous posters the question based on their responses, and didn't expect to be chastised here by other posters :(
I was asking because the previous posters had all stated quite negative things about her and I was just curious if that's what the overall consensus was (from the previous posters.) We would not just dump a puppy because of a breeder, it's unfortunate my question was a bit misconstrued, I was just curious as to what the responses would be.

We rescued our other GSD and really wanted to rescue another this time. We have been trying to adopt for the last few months, I applied to various GSD rescues (because we did really want another GSD) and have had no luck. The CA rescue was discouraging us, because we were so far away, they had so many GSD's that need homes, so that was disappointing. Because of timing issues, we were looking at getting one this spring/summer and after having no luck, my hubby suggested perhaps getting a puppy from the onset would a good option (and also, to see if we could help shape her a bit more in behaviors and such, as our rescue had lots of issues that required a lot of work.) We spent ample time looking at various rescues, but did not do our homework on the breeders as well as we should have, clearly, because we had really thought we would be rescuing.

We never rehomed our first rescued GSD, we adopted him at the 6 month adolescence period and he is now 9...we paid for lots of individual and group training, and did quite a bit of work with him to get him where he is now. We are constantly trying to network GSD's that need a home (through Facebook, etc.) as well as pledging money to save them.

noahsmommy2007 04-28-2014 09:25 PM

Thanks for clarifying about how long they should stay with the mom. It didn't make sense, that she was removed from her mother, when her mother was also on-site. The puppies were in a different area than the other dogs, so I don't think she saw her mother again after she was removed. She was with her litter mates, though, but was the last one adopted out.

glowingtoadfly 04-28-2014 09:35 PM

Enjoy your puppy! I can't wait to see pictures, and hear about her, if you stay around after all this.:-)