Breeder Recommendations in MI? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeder Recommendations in MI?

With the possibility of getting a GSD in the next few years becoming more likely, I am starting to look very intentionally for a breeder. This will be my first GSD, and even though my puppy will primarily be a companion, I am not looking at "pet" breeders.

I'm partial to working GSDs, but am especially interested in West German Working lines. If any of you have breeder recommendations in MI, I would love to hear about your experiences.

I may also consider traveling to breeders relatively nearby (including north IN & IL, and possibly west OH and south WI), but a shorter driving distance is preferable.

Thank you!

Lena (Keeshond, 7 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
― Dean Koontz
Mesonoxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wildhaus, zu Treuen Haenden, vom Geistwasser, vom Flussblick. I know all these people and have seen many dogs from each kennel. I owned and trained a dog from Geistwasser (northern IL).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice avi, does gildaf work for you?

Set the lady an email wasn't a fan of her
Willingness to help but people seem to like her dogs
Fuzon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Wildhaus, zu Treuen Haenden, vom Geistwasser, vom Flussblick. I know all these people and have seen many dogs from each kennel. I owned and trained a dog from Geistwasser (northern IL).
Thanks for these recommendations! I've looked at Wildhaus before (love what I see and read), but have not looked at all of the others. After reading through their websites, they all look like great options. In your opinion, are there any kennels from that list that might be more likely to produce a reasonable puppy for a first time GSD owner? I'm pretty set on WL, but I often see people vehemently state that they're never for first time GSD people.

Geistwasser has some amazing looking dogs, and I've watched some videos of their work, too. Would you mind telling me a bit about the temperament and biddability of the dog that you had from them?

Lena (Keeshond, 7 yrs)

― Dean Koontz

Last edited by Mesonoxian; 05-19-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzon View Post
Nice avi, does gildaf work for you?

Set the lady an email wasn't a fan of her
Willingness to help but people seem to like her dogs
Thank you! My sister is a great photographer, and lets me pirate her work.

Gildaf is a very reasonable distance, and the dogs do look good. Would you mind PMing me to let me know a bit more about your experience? Thanks!

Lena (Keeshond, 7 yrs)

― Dean Koontz
Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have two gildaf dogs, and I love them, and their breeder.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
I have two gildaf dogs, and I love them, and their breeder.
Grim and Skadi look lovely! Would you tell me a bit about them? (Temperament, "off switch," biddability, etc.)

Lena (Keeshond, 7 yrs)

― Dean Koontz
Old 05-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Skadi and Grim were both returned to the breeder at between seven and ten months old, so there are some mysteries about their pasts, although I have been in contact with Skadi's very sweet previous owner, who had a young child and an intense young working line shepherd and just couldn't get past some issues she was having in Skadi's training around her child . I have written extensively on Skadi's issues as a teen on the forums but we are mostly past them now with time and training. She was deeply loved and extensively socialized as a puppy and young dog, and it shows in how friendly and fearless she is with strangers and strange dogs. She has a bubbly, exuberant personality and is one of the smartest dogs i have ever met, but she does test boundaries if she feels she can ( Melinda warned us that she was pretty nonstop when we brought her home, but she is currently napping by my side as she has developed the ability to relax). Skadi is medium to high drive and is two. She has an intense ball and tug drive. Ball insane. Tug insane. She stares at the toy cabinet and begs to train often. She is high energy, loves to meet anyone, loves other dogs, could care less about loud noises, picks up on new commands very fast and is great off leash.
We have only had Grim, her half brother, for a few months. He is nine months old and unneutered still, so his hormones are going right now. He is the cuddliest, most loving boy you could ask for with my husband and I and his foster family, who really wanted to keep him but were unable to with their other two dogs and still stay in close contact and offer to Grim-sit if we ever need it. He has a good off switch and could cuddle all day, is ball and tug silly, though his drives are increasing a bit as he gets older, learns quickly, and loves to train. We are dealing with some reactivity right now with strangers and strange dogs, which I believe stems from him being undersocialized and never being taken to classes as a baby, his hormones, and natural GSD suspicion. He is food insane.

Last edited by glowingtoadfly; 05-19-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lucy Dog on the forum has a vom gildaf dog and is very happy, I believe.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
Lucy Dog on the forum has a vom gildaf dog and is very happy, I believe.
My ears are ringing.

I've got a gildaf pup. Well, dog now, i guess. He just turned 1. Very good young guy - exactly what i asked for. I'd call him medium drive. Very easy to handle for anyone that knows the breed and what's expected of it. It was a breeze to raise him as a puppy - he never destroyed anything and was house broken in weeks of getting him home.

No reactivity to anything - noises, dogs, kid, adults etc. Balanced dog, but a little crazy and all over the place when the ball comes out. That will probably get better with age and maturity. Great with everyone and never a problem anywhere i take him. Happy-go-lucky type personality is probably the best way to explain him. Goofy boy that is very pack driven. Always trying to sit on my lap like he's some little lap dog. Perfect "off switch" that we're all looking for. Just an all around good dog.

He's not the biggest male and will probably top out at about 70+, but I told melinda that I preferred a dog that size. He'd be a perfect agility or flyball dog, but I just keep him as an active pet.

This is him.
Attached Thumbnails
Breeder Recommendations in MI?-img_0300.jpg  
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.