Looking for a LONG list of reputable breeders! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a LONG list of reputable breeders!

Hey All,

I'm looking for a GSD that I will be personally training for the first time. Agility training seems like it would be a really fun thing to do, but I'd need a dog that can be ok with being in the house for hours at a time when I'm at work as well. Are there any good breeders on the East Coast (preferably, however I am not averse to traveling to get a puppy, so generally anything from Kentucky to the East Coast would probably work) that, in your experiences, have dogs that basically have good "Off" switches? I also like strong looking GSDs, with high rear ends, not the tapered hindquarters of the show breeds.

Sorry if this is a common question but it would be a huge help! I was looking at Sequoyah, while traveling (I haven't been able to call Sherle), but she unfortunately hasn't replied to my e-mail just yet. Those dogs look amazing, and sort of epitomize what I want in a GSD (Argo being the prime example of that).

Thanks a ton for the time reading this!
AlexRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Argo

Basically I want a German Shepherd that looks like his DAD or just like this gorgeous puppy
Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Apologies for the number of posts - No editing makes it tough, but I currently live in NJ. Distance is not too big of a deal, but I really haven't found an ideal pair aside from these two that had Argo. Any similar suggestions would be awesome! I might be interested in more than Agility competitions, but I'm not sure I'd be able to train a dog at a higher level than that since this would be my first real attempt at that.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Welcome to the board, Alex.

One of the best ways to find a good breeder in your area would be to visit local GSD breed clubs and all-breed training/performance clubs (Schutzhund/IPO, agility, obedience, etc...) Typically clubs are a great way to find a large population of GSDs from various bloodlines and breeders concentrated in one place, and to meet the dogs in person and talk to their owners to see what dogs/breeders you like and don't like, and get recommendations.

These are also some good places to start turning up breeders that may or may not have what you want. These are by no means comprehensive lists and there's no guarantee these are all good breeders either. It's just a place to start your research.

United Schutzhund Clubs of America ? Registered Kennels

Breeder Directory - German Shepherd Guide

Also some good info on how to select a breeder:
How to Select a Breeder - German Shepherd Guide
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Chris has given you some good links to check out, especially the "how to select a breeder".

Wanted to add, it would benefit yourself and the dog to find a good trainer/training facility to go to, vs training on your own.

There is a thread here if you do a search, on members of this forum who have sequoyah dogs..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! I've actually been reading quite a bit (the How To Select a Breeder link as well!), and have an idea that if I were to do agility training where I could go once or twice a week within 45min of my house.

The idea would be to train him once a week in obedience to start, then agility when he's old enough to start (I might be interested in Schutzhund but I think it might be a bit out of my ability to do so).

I have gone through about 50 breeder websites and haven't found any mix that looks as amazing as the parents of Argo... There are a lot of positive messages about Sequoyah on here.

I should be able to give Sherle a call soon, I hope I'm not too late!

Thanks again everyone for the welcome and help I will definitely be using the websites you provided Chris, and the advice you gave JakodaCD
Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've met some Sequoyah dogs in person and they were lovely. The male I met was largish and the owner had nothing but good things to say about Sherle too. She did say her boy was a handful but in GSD world that's not always a bad thing!

BUT....you mention Argo's parents and he's a Drago Vom Patriot son, Drago is drop dead gorgeous for sure. Most folks I know who get Drago babies also mention the intensity.

Meaning the *potential* is there for them to be a LOT of dog....and more geared to bite sports then agility(?).

I'm just sharing that bit of information so you can ask Sherle questions about what her breedings with Drago are producing... There are a couple of members here with Drago babies also but unfortunately they don't post a lot.

Good luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRD View Post
Thanks for the replies! I've actually been reading quite a bit (the How To Select a Breeder link as well!), and have an idea that if I were to do agility training where I could go once or twice a week within 45min of my house.

The idea would be to train him once a week in obedience to start, then agility when he's old enough to start (I might be interested in Schutzhund but I think it might be a bit out of my ability to do so).

I have gone through about 50 breeder websites and haven't found any mix that looks as amazing as the parents of Argo... There are a lot of positive messages about Sequoyah on here.

I should be able to give Sherle a call soon, I hope I'm not too late!

Thanks again everyone for the welcome and help I will definitely be using the websites you provided Chris, and the advice you gave JakodaCD

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 04-24-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here is a stacked picture of Drago (page link below)

Welcome to the Canine Concepts
Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well that's helpful information! The reason I was interested in Agility competitions more than bite-work stuff is because I feel like the barrier to entry as far as learning is much lower for a first-time trainer. If the offspring of Drago (who is a gorgeous and impressive dog - I saw that website you linked earlier this week!) aren't a fit for my intended lifestyle, then I definitely don't want to shoehorn the dog into something like that.

All these responses are great and much appreciated I'm being very honest with the intended lifestyle, because I really don't want to get a dog that needs to be outside and active 10 hours a day stuck inside while I work. So a balance needs to be struck! Thanks again for the responses
Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think, in that regard, it comes down to the individual parents of the dogs. I have had some who were just fine switching between couch potato and work and my current one who is busy busy busy and is very inventive at getting in trouble. I doubt he will ever be let free in a house.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.