German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Reputable import breeders (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/440865-reputable-import-breeders.html)

RyanNeus 04-21-2014 12:37 AM

Reputable import breeders

Does anyone here know any active gsd import breeders? I am looking to import because of personal preference and less health/ behavioral issues. I live in the united states, Ohio. I have looked at multiple different breeders and still cant seem to find one. I have already done my research and know what to look for but i though i'd ask some people that have good experience with import breeders. I am looking to pay $1000-$2000 for a pup.

I have looked into us breeders and the only one that caught my attention was Mittlewest

Mittelwest German Shepherds - German Shepherd Puppies for sale - German Shepherd Breeders

Any information on reputable us gsd breeders and European gsd import breeders would be GREATLY appreciated, i am looking forward to owning a GSD and becoming a part of the community :D

wolfstraum 04-21-2014 10:03 AM

You are not going to get a better puppy by importing than by buying in the US. Look up Wilmoth dogs. com - near Akron...They are retired police officers and have been breeding a long time....you should get a decent puppy from them.

Lee

RyanNeus 04-21-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfstraum (Post 5407721)
You are not going to get a better puppy by importing than by buying in the US. Look up Wilmoth dogs. com - near Akron...They are retired police officers and have been breeding a long time....you should get a decent puppy from them.

Lee

Thank you, I will consider that option! I do like having the ability to visit the kennels and looking at the pups first but I am still open to all options right now.

wolfstraum 04-21-2014 02:17 PM

My point was that by importing from Europe, you are going to get the puppy that has not be chosen by local and known buyers to the breeder - ie, possibly a less desirable puppy with issues...have seen it happen so so many times....if you have good connections, you have a better chance at a pup who is more desirable or stable or better nerved. As you are in the US, and looking for a companion pup, I would think you are better off with a US breeder who is reputable.

Lee

SuperG 04-21-2014 02:58 PM

I politely disagree with some of the previous posters generalizations

The WGSL pup I imported from Germany is head and shoulders better than the previous 2 ASL shepherds I had. They are all great dogs...but I had my fill of health issues and decided to look elsewhere....closer to the source I guess. I will say my current GSD import is much more smart and capable than the previous two....however, in all fairness, some of this might be due to the fact I have learned more thanks to the previous two dogs.

I think the upside of many import dogs...especially from Germany is the breeding requirements....ASLs just have to meet conformation requirements ....no performance requirements whatsoever. WGSL imports have a much more rigorous testing process....especially pink papered GSDs. Sound nerves are required in order for a GSD to be pink papered along with many other requirements.

One can most definitely get a "better" GSD by importing....just as one might be able to get a "better" GSD without importing. So, suggesting one cannot get a top quality GSD via importing is a sweeping generalization which has no merit.

SuperG

wolfstraum 04-21-2014 03:08 PM

Oh - it has lots of merit!!!!!! From right here on this board, there have been quite a few people sent dogs with temperament and or health problems...Look through some of the older posts - people getting disasters from Europe for their first dog....it is NOT uncommon...

It also has merit from personal observation! I have seen people buy from big name kennels in Europe - Germany, Belgium and Czech Republic....sent pups with weak ears, weak nerve, runts of litter....have seen it happen over and over! OTOH - people with a track record, people with contacts, or people who just get lucky have gotten nice pups! I think it is much higher risk for someone with no experience in IPO here, no contacts in Europe and no contacts here for networking to import a pup. At least by going to a breeder like the Wilmoths (whose breeding stock is imported and pink papered!) they have the added advantage of having a breeder close by who does breed nice WGSL dogs.
and frankly - comparing an imported WGSL pup to 2 problematic ASLs .......apples to oranges

There are good pink papered dogs in the US....and many who are titled and koered born here.

Lee

Merciel 04-21-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfstraum (Post 5408857)
As you are in the US, and looking for a companion pup, I would think you are better off with a US breeder who is reputable.

I agree 100%.

asja 04-21-2014 04:11 PM

Or go to Europe and visit breeders there, but know what you are looking for and want and what the cost should be.

I'm still a little peeved at one Czech breeder I emailed. As soon as I told him we go to Europe often and I'd come pick up a puppy, he didn't want to talk to me anymore! I'm guessing he realized I wouldn't pay an inflated price and I know how much they should cost.

SuperG 04-21-2014 04:14 PM

Everything you cite regarding issues on imported GSDs happens all the same with ASL dogs.....and perhaps even more.

Bottom line to me is simply, the SV is more strict regarding breeding standards and both sire and dam are scrutinized considerably more than the overall practices in the USA...excepting the USA/SV perhaps

Oh, who ends up with the "pups with weak ears, weak nerve, runts of litter." from US breedings of pink papered imports? Or does that never happen ???

So, if we are comparing imported WGSLs pink papered and then bred in the US compared to importing a pink papered pup from Germany...we are essentially talking about the same thing...sans the breeder proximity. The same " pups with weak ears, weak nerve, runts of litter." exist in either situation......

Also....American breeders ( not all ) of German imports have already bastardized the breed pedigree and lure buyers by stating " German import bloodlines...etc" when only one dog in the breeding has any "German" bloodlines....

If I had to chose between an imported pink papered WGSL versus an American BYB GSD....I'd take the import.....plain and simple.

SuperG

carmspack 04-21-2014 04:24 PM

apples and oranges --- you can buy a West German Show line bred dog right here from USA or Canada . Same genetics .
I believe this is what the OP was asking about.

Super G you then disagreed . Here was your answer "The WGSL pup I imported from Germany is head and shoulders better than the previous 2 ASL shepherds"

You are comparing two completely different sets of genetics. W German show lines and the two AMERICAN show lines . So different there would not be one animal in common ancestry probably going back to Lance of Fran Jo's sire .

When you buy from abroad it is pretty difficult to return if necessary or to get guarantees for anything . NO guarantees .