Is it okay to ask about people's experiences with specific breeders? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it okay to ask about people's experiences with specific breeders?

Hello!

I've come across a number of threads that were edited, so I'm not really sure if it's okay to ask folks to comment on a particular breeder?

I'd rather not hold the discussion on the boards, but would it be okay to ask folks to send a private message if they've met the breeder at shows or events, and or have one of their dogs?

Thanks!

Last edited by talihawk; 04-08-2014 at 01:39 AM.
talihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The board asks that anything negative about a breeder be kept in PM's. Usually when a thread is edited for breeder bashing the negatives bled over to the thread.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great thank you! Is this the proper board to ask for folks experiences?
talihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah, if anyone has bad ones they'll usually PM them to you.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talihawk View Post
Great thank you! Is this the proper board to ask for folks experiences?
You can openly ask about the breeder here, but all "negative" responses must be done by PM.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the problem with forum type PM's is that the comments are not scrutinized for veracity and protected by the cloak of anonymity .

if you want to find out about a breeder , contact them and ask them to provide you with a list of an entire litters buyers . Pick a litter randomly. Example in 2012 they had a litter and there were 5 pups. Get the contact information of the buyers of those 5 pups and ask them . If there is a particular combination that you are interested in then get the data for dogs sold with those dogs and ask.

A breeder should be proud of what they are putting out.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
the problem with forum type PM's is that the comments are not scrutinized for veracity and protected by the cloak of anonymity .
Very true & something that should be kept in mind. Personally, I find PMs useful b/c there can be a more detailed exchange of information. Almost all of my PMs regarding breeders have been positive rather than negative. For that matter, while I might not be particularly 'sweet' I'm not sneaky & anybody I've PMed is welcome to repeat anything I've said. Still, Carmen, you make a very good point. I once exchanged several PMs discussing a breeder I've long felt 'meh' about & was told that another member had expressed similar concerns. Curious (b/c it's among the exalted breeders) I asked who the member was & was astonished to discover it's someone who publicly recommends the breeder (& still does!?!?)! I don't get that but whatever...Just another reason I prefer using my own judgment.

There really is no substitute for buyers knowing very clearly what they want, what they need, why particular qualities are important & seeking breeders who consistently produce dogs who embody those qualities. I am stunned at people who change their opinions in a nano sec based solely on internet info.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like things to be open and transparent .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Carmen, I too prefer open & transparent. I frankly enjoy wide open boards. There have been threads on this board that were nothing more than an extended breeder bash fest despite the 'rules' against breeder bashing. I suspect that I (or the breeder if she knew) could have had em pulled they were *that* egregious, but I never tried b/c I believe a good breeder should be able to take the heat, whether 'deserved' or not. It goes with the territory.

Wide open, Wild West styled boards, often provide insight into people acting their worst, which can be helpful. This board has elected to do it differently which has advantages as well as disadvantages. In my experience, wide open boards have at least an many lying, conniving hypocrites working an agenda behind the scenes as more heavily moderated boards. PMs exist on those boards, too, & are used at least as extensively, often to nefarious purposes. A useful exchange of information & ideas can be tough when a board devolves into who SCREAMS the most & the loudest. Those aren't necessarily the ones most worth listening to & yet it can be hard to 'hear' others over their racket.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ironically, I think in some ways a wide open board would be fairer to breeders. That way, if someone is trashing them or their dogs, they are aware of the accusations and can come on and defend themselves. There's usually two sides to every story and someone with an ax to grind against a particular breeder may well either misrepresent or omit relevant facts.

Of course, you should always take anything posted on the internet with a grain of salt. I think this is particularly true when it comes to dogs. I've owned a half dozen dogs over the last 20 years and loved each and every one of them. My natural inclination is to emphasize all the great qualities each dog possessed. I tend to forget that my beautiful Samoyed was also barky and obedience challenged, our noble and gentle Golden Retriever shook like a leaf and hid under the bed during thunder storms, and my last beloved GSD was not only loyal, intelligent and devoted but also occasionally dog aggressive.

And then there is the other side of the coin - an inexperienced owner who buys a dog for all the wrong reasons, keeps it chained to a tree all day, never trains it or socializes it, and then blames the breeder because it isn't like Rin Tin Tin.
John C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.