Is it normal for a breeder to have 10+ litters welped in a 6 month period? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it normal for a breeder to have 10+ litters welped in a 6 month period?

In my search for a new pup I have come across two different breeders that I am considering. One has 8 litters or planned litters over a 6 month period this year. The other has over 20 bitches and 10 litters or expected litters over a 6 month period. I have spoken to both kennels... they both have good reputations, and they are both too far away for an easy visit.

So is this normal? Im not asking for judgement nor do I want to give out kennel names. Just questioning normality of this in breeding kennels.

Thanks
Emdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

sounds like they are big operations , personally I would look elsewhere, I kinda tend to like breeders that are more hands on with their puppies, with THAT many puppies I doubt anyone could be hands on

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Normal for commercial kennels....not normal at all for a hobby breeder who is breeding to better the breed, not for the greed.
Obviously the ones that are producing so many litters with so many bitches are not working their dogs to know the strengths and weaknesses. How can they make pedigree matching decisions when they aren't doing anything but breed?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

It depends. If the breeder is doing health clearances, has a solid plan and direction for the breedings, then it may be okay.

I would not rule out a breeder with lots of litters a year. Sometimes heat cycles and make availability make it all happen at once.

But, 10+ litters in a 6 mo period would make me look closer. That's a lot. I would ask who cares for the pups, who is in charge if early development and socialization. Stuff like that. Some of the larger breeders may easily have quite a number of bitches. And they may decide to do just one big spring cabang, instead of splitting it between spring a fall. Does not mean they are not worth while. But I would actually want to see the facility. I would want to understand the goals.

The pup I have now came from a breeder that may have 4 litters in a cycles. I talked to her extensively. This is what she does. And I was comfortable with it. But most hobby breeders will have 1-3 litters a season at most. It's an enormous amount of work, raising a litter correctly. And most hobby breeders have jobs aside from breeding.

So again, I would physically check out the kennel. Make sure it's not a glorified puppy mill, pumping out puppies with no goal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would want to visit the facility also -and talk to the breeder as well
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You never know unless you talk to them. Some breeders cross post for partners or friends who are small hobby breeders.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is a commercial kennel, and in order to do things right, they'd have to have a large, clean facility with a sizable staff. I understand there are a lot of kennels like this is Germany. But in Germany they have the SV system to adhere to, while those in the US have no such requirements.

If the kennel is voluntarily following the SV system and a personal code of ethics, OFA, titles, etc. and their dogs are well cared for and healthy, socialized, trained and exercised, given human interaction and attention, and the facility is clean, there are plenty of staff to help with whelping and caring for litters... if they give buyer support for the life of the dog and take their puppies back at any time, then I can't really say they're doing anything wrong.

Personally, I like a breeder with a more hands-on approach, who knows their dogs inside and out, lives in the house with their dogs, trains and titles themselves, etc. The understanding of each dog is so much more intimate, therefore, I think better choices can be made with respect to breeding the best possible GSD.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with the consensus: personally, and for the same reasons Freestep and others articulated, I would pass.

For a number of reasons, I'm not a fan of commercial breeding and not inclined to support that type of operation.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I want to know how the breeder can work with and socialize all those puppies. How can they evaluate each puppy and know what would be the best home for them.

If they are relying on their 'staff' to do the work then I don't consider them a breeder - I would call them a puppy producer and that they are only in it for the money.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Commercial kennels are in it for the money. Its a business that must make a profit or it will not keep going. They would have paid staff. Fidelco Guide Dog foundation is no different. They have paid staff, puppies raised in sterile environments, planned breedings from healthy dogs. I'm sure any one of us would love to get a drop out from a program like that. Be sure to do more research on each breeding facility. Talk with puppy buyers. What market do they cater to? I believe a majority cater to the working dog buyers (police, security). Those are usually housed in kennels anyway, but not always. As long as their goal in a particular breeding is what you are looking for, then I dont see a problem. Most of these facilities are inspected on a regular basis. See if you can find inspection reports and/or check with AKC (if in USA) for any problems.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.