"working homes only" thought of this after reading "pet people" thread - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default "working homes only" thought of this after reading "pet people" thread

So some breeders say "this breeding is for working homes only".
What do you guys usually take that to mean?

"I promise I will title this dog", sport homes, homes that have titled a dog before, homes that are just extremely active and like to train a lot but don't participate in the sport scene, homes where family members are already part of a club, SAR homes where dogs do real-life rescue work, etc?

Just curious because in the pet thread the debate on what is a working dog vs a sport dog vs a pet dog came up and I recall seeing this "working homes only" phrase on a lot of breeders' websites

I know some breeders just say this to deter families that don't put any effort into rigorous training their dogs beyond maybe basic walking on a leash and manners / preventative measures for families that might get a little more dog than they asked for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
mego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I take it to mean the dog has to much drive, or is to sharp, for a normal pet home and needs an experienced handler.

My breeders next litter is for working homes only because of this.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You'd have to call the breeders to know for sure but at face value I take it to mean they want the dogs to go to homes where the dogs will be worked. Either real work or competitive sports.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think there are a lot of reasons. In my hunt for a dog, I talked to a few people about this. Dogs that breeders pair up with the specific intent of producing working dogs could have a propensity for producing "hard" dogs, a possibility of dog aggression, dogs that may be prone to handler aggression in response to unfair (and/or inexperienced) corrections, dogs that are so high drive/intensity that even a very active pet home would not be suitable, etc.

In my hunt for my current pup (I was looking at GSD and Malinois litters, and a dog for IPO), I almost never found a breeder labeling a litter "working home only" just to deter pet owners- if they said it, they really meant it. But, those breeders spend enough time getting to know potential buyers that they were straightforward over what dogs would and wouldn't be an appropriate match.

Last edited by LoveEcho; 03-28-2014 at 03:30 PM.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

While I have never used this phase for an entire litter, I have used it for individual pups. Most of the time it is a pup that I want in a working/certain type of home because of the drive and temperament of the pup.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

The puppies I can think of being advertised this way by people I know are because they are good puppies that the breeder will hold back until a good home is found. They are in no rush to sell/move the puppy and feel the dog has good potential. Why the breeder makes this designation can be many things. Maybe the puppy is too strong or too sharp for a pet home or an experienced owner, maybe the breeder just wants to ensure that some of their puppies end up competing and earning titles.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

It fascinates me that breeders can tell so much about a puppy's drive so early. Does anyone know of a YouTube video demonstrating low vs high drive pups?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

You know, this is a good question, and I never really sat down and thought about what it was intended to mean.

I always just sort of go "okay, that's not the dog for me then" and move on. But I never stopped to think about why. I guess I just assumed that the dogs were going to be too spun-up and low threshold for me to want to deal with.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
I think there are a lot of reasons. In my hunt for a dog, I talked to a few people about this. Dogs that breeders pair up with the specific intent of producing working dogs could have a propensity for producing "hard" dogs, a possibility of dog aggression, dogs that may be prone to handler aggression in response to unfair (and/or inexperienced) corrections, dogs that are so high drive/intensity that even a very active pet home would not be suitable, etc.

I think this is probably the best explanation. I don't think "sharpness" has as much to do with it, but possibly.

My personal take on this, is homes that are already involved in sport/service. I know and talk with a lot of breeders, and it seems like every potential buyer want's their puppy for sport or SAR. Of those, the majority are not currently involved in anything. Of the ones not involved in anything, guess how many actually get their puppy and truly go out to participate in sport/service? Less than 10%. So for me, unless the home is already active in a venue, I don't believe them.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
You'd have to call the breeders to know for sure but at face value I take it to mean they want the dogs to go to homes where the dogs will be worked. Either real work or competitive sports.
Pretty much this. Worst case scenario it's some puppy mill trying to market their dogs as badasses. Best case scenario it's a breeder with world champion blood line dogs and they want them going to people who can continue to work and win with them, or at the very least keep them from going to kill shelters because the owners couldn't keep up with their needs and had their houses destroyed.

Most likely something in the middle but there generally won't be any confusion about what you're looking at.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.