German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   "working homes only" thought of this after reading "pet people" thread (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/430673-working-homes-only-thought-after-reading-pet-people-thread.html)

mego 03-28-2014 03:15 PM

"working homes only" thought of this after reading "pet people" thread

So some breeders say "this breeding is for working homes only".
What do you guys usually take that to mean?

"I promise I will title this dog", sport homes, homes that have titled a dog before, homes that are just extremely active and like to train a lot but don't participate in the sport scene, homes where family members are already part of a club, SAR homes where dogs do real-life rescue work, etc?

Just curious because in the pet thread the debate on what is a working dog vs a sport dog vs a pet dog came up and I recall seeing this "working homes only" phrase on a lot of breeders' websites

I know some breeders just say this to deter families that don't put any effort into rigorous training their dogs beyond maybe basic walking on a leash and manners / preventative measures for families that might get a little more dog than they asked for

Jax08 03-28-2014 03:19 PM

I take it to mean the dog has to much drive, or is to sharp, for a normal pet home and needs an experienced handler.

My breeders next litter is for working homes only because of this.

Whiteshepherds 03-28-2014 03:25 PM

You'd have to call the breeders to know for sure but at face value I take it to mean they want the dogs to go to homes where the dogs will be worked. Either real work or competitive sports.

LoveEcho 03-28-2014 03:28 PM

I think there are a lot of reasons. In my hunt for a dog, I talked to a few people about this. Dogs that breeders pair up with the specific intent of producing working dogs could have a propensity for producing "hard" dogs, a possibility of dog aggression, dogs that may be prone to handler aggression in response to unfair (and/or inexperienced) corrections, dogs that are so high drive/intensity that even a very active pet home would not be suitable, etc.

In my hunt for my current pup (I was looking at GSD and Malinois litters, and a dog for IPO), I almost never found a breeder labeling a litter "working home only" just to deter pet owners- if they said it, they really meant it. But, those breeders spend enough time getting to know potential buyers that they were straightforward over what dogs would and wouldn't be an appropriate match.

lhczth 03-28-2014 03:33 PM

While I have never used this phase for an entire litter, I have used it for individual pups. Most of the time it is a pup that I want in a working/certain type of home because of the drive and temperament of the pup.

Liesje 03-28-2014 03:37 PM

The puppies I can think of being advertised this way by people I know are because they are good puppies that the breeder will hold back until a good home is found. They are in no rush to sell/move the puppy and feel the dog has good potential. Why the breeder makes this designation can be many things. Maybe the puppy is too strong or too sharp for a pet home or an experienced owner, maybe the breeder just wants to ensure that some of their puppies end up competing and earning titles.

Curtis 03-28-2014 07:25 PM

It fascinates me that breeders can tell so much about a puppy's drive so early. Does anyone know of a YouTube video demonstrating low vs high drive pups?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Merciel 03-28-2014 07:29 PM

You know, this is a good question, and I never really sat down and thought about what it was intended to mean.

I always just sort of go "okay, that's not the dog for me then" and move on. But I never stopped to think about why. I guess I just assumed that the dogs were going to be too spun-up and low threshold for me to want to deal with.

mycobraracr 03-28-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 5286017)
I think there are a lot of reasons. In my hunt for a dog, I talked to a few people about this. Dogs that breeders pair up with the specific intent of producing working dogs could have a propensity for producing "hard" dogs, a possibility of dog aggression, dogs that may be prone to handler aggression in response to unfair (and/or inexperienced) corrections, dogs that are so high drive/intensity that even a very active pet home would not be suitable, etc.

I think this is probably the best explanation. I don't think "sharpness" has as much to do with it, but possibly.

My personal take on this, is homes that are already involved in sport/service. I know and talk with a lot of breeders, and it seems like every potential buyer want's their puppy for sport or SAR. Of those, the majority are not currently involved in anything. Of the ones not involved in anything, guess how many actually get their puppy and truly go out to participate in sport/service? Less than 10%. So for me, unless the home is already active in a venue, I don't believe them.

Baillif 03-28-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds (Post 5285969)
You'd have to call the breeders to know for sure but at face value I take it to mean they want the dogs to go to homes where the dogs will be worked. Either real work or competitive sports.

Pretty much this. Worst case scenario it's some puppy mill trying to market their dogs as badasses. Best case scenario it's a breeder with world champion blood line dogs and they want them going to people who can continue to work and win with them, or at the very least keep them from going to kill shelters because the owners couldn't keep up with their needs and had their houses destroyed.

Most likely something in the middle but there generally won't be any confusion about what you're looking at.