Looking for a Liver Male Puppy 6/1 is that reasonable? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a Liver Male Puppy 6/1 is that reasonable?

Hello, I'm new to the board, but have spent a bunch of time reading up over the past month. We are looking to get our first family dog, and I've forever been obsessed with GSDs. I vividly remember has a 9 year old, sobbing when my Uncle's "Rinny" passed away, and always thought that I would eventually get my own companion.

I'm in my mid 30s in Cincinnati with two boys (8 & 5), and work out of the house. I will have plenty of time to train the dog, as well as go on jogs, throw the frisbee, etc. Not to mention, I know my two crazy boys will tire that puppy out as well.

I am not at all looking to breed the dog, nor show it, or have it as a working dog. I simply am wanting a fun companion around the house to take care of my wife, keep my sons in line, and make me laugh with tricks.

Because I don't plan to show or breed the dog, I really love the look of the full liver color. I've read about it and completely understand that people are against breeding on purpose for that color as it could involve inbreeding, etc. It seems that most people on the forums also say that by chance, plenty of reputable breeders produce liver puppies by accident, and I'm trying to get a feel as to how I could make it known that I would be very interested in one.

My other question is in regards to price. If I'm going to have this guy with me for 12-14 years, I don't mind paying what it takes to get a dog that will fit in with our family. That said, is it worth spending $1,500-$2,000 for a dog that you don't plan on breeding or showing? I'm fine with spending the money for temperment, but at what point is it overkill?

I would prefer to drive to pick up the puppy as opposed to put him through the shipping process, but if we found the perfect little guy, I would gladly pay for shipping as long as it would be safe for the pup. As I wrote earlier, I'd love to find a puppy for June 1, but would be willing to wait for a dog that would be great for our family

I found a great looking AKC male liver pup in Knoxville, TN with a Google search, but he will be ready mid April and we will be on Spring Break for a week at the end of April so that won't work.

Sorry for the rambling email, but wanted to lay out my situation fully. Thanks so much for any advice or tips!!
billafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

$1000-$1500 is the current market for a well bred GSD. It's not about you showing, or breeding, but the titles in the pedigree tell you that the parents/grandparents/so on have been tested to have solid temperament so that means your boy/girl is likely to have good temperament.

I'd start contacting breeders, but unfortunately, many are probably not going to be to happy to admit they've produced livers. A good breeder is likely to not repeat a breeding that produced a liver as it takes two recessive genes and so the way to avoid that (knowing that both parents are carriers) is to not put them together again.

Personally, I wouldn't expect to pay "full price" for a liver. I'd expect the breeder to discount that dog because even though you're not interested in showing now, if you ever do get interested, the fact that the dog is a liver disqualifies you from showing. So although working/obedience wise your dog could be just as successful as any, you are automatically eliminating a venue from your list of possible things you can do.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are able to find a solid liver male that just happens to pop up in a well-bred litter, that is like finding a needle in a haystack, and you'd probably have to do a nationwide search and be searching for a very long time. Reputable breeders do occasionally get blues and livers, but they tend not to advertise that fact, and they certainly don't breed FOR it. I am sure that any good breeder would be happy to place a liver pup in a great pet home, but finding that pup would be a challenge.

So, you are stuck with one of two things: either putting the word out nationwide and wait until a solid liver male pops up, or you go to a breeder that breeds specifically for that color. I strongly advise against the latter.

I think blue GSDs are striking and gorgeous, and if I was in the market for a dog and a blue pup happened to crop up in a reputable breeder's litter, I'd be all over it. But honestly, it's a pipe dream. The universe would have to align perfectly, and I'm not waiting around for that.

If you are married to the idea of liver, have you considered other breeds that come in that color, like Dobermans? (in Dobes it's called "red") Chocolate Lab?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billafish View Post
I found a great looking AKC male liver pup in Knoxville, TN with a Google search, but he will be ready mid April and we will be on Spring Break for a week at the end of April so that won't work.

Sorry for the rambling email, but wanted to lay out my situation fully. Thanks so much for any advice or tips!!
Have you contacted the breeder and asked if you put a deposit down, if they would hold him for you until you get back? I had to do that with my mastiff pup. I got her a 12 weeks instead of 8 because Timing just wasn't right at 8 weeks, but she was the one I wanted.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have seen livered color GSDs many times over the years and I remember 2 really nice liver colored GSDs that were rich in color and absolutely stunningly beautiful. One was a female that was a dark blanket back with a rich red where the tan would have been, plus she had a wavy plush curly coat. The other was a working line rich solid milk chocolate color male doing guard duty at a local hospital with a security guard. Both had lighter tinted eyes, this only added to their beauty. Good luck on your search.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hmmm - I have seen solid blues (in photos) but not solid livers....have seen both in saddle patterns show up here and there.

as others have said - not going to be easy to find and then add to it if you want a pup who actually breeds for temperament and health and working ability - even harder!

and to put a specific date on it.....I think you will have an easier time getting a lottery ticket with a decent payout!

I think the showline breeders will have a blue or liver more frequently - I have known of a few working line litters where a blue will show up occasionally...but only a few....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the feedback, below is the link to the liver I found online that is Knoxville. Being that the price is only $550, it kind if spooked me.

AKC Liver German Shepherd Pups | Male German Shepherd Puppy For Sale in Knoxville TN | 3625162820 | Dogs on Oodle Marketplace

Says it comes with papers, but could be rolling the dice?
billafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hmm.. the listing puzzles me. Do they have the pedigree of the parents?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Looking for a Liver Male Puppy 6/1 is that reasonable?

I personally wouldn't go with anyone purposefully breeding a color fault. Someone who only breeds dogs with excellent health and temperament, and proves it, is your best bet for a good quality dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The listing seems bizarre to me too. Liver is a faulty color so why is she selling both puppies for the same price? Hey at least she knows the dam is bi-colored.

I'd personally pass. There are so many breeders that work diligently to match the puppy to the family, picking your dog based on color (opposed to temperament) isn't the way to go for your first GSD.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.