German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   WGSL Breeder in KY, TN or surrounding areas (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/429866-wgsl-breeder-ky-tn-surrounding-areas.html)

cards*fan 03-26-2014 09:16 PM

WGSL Breeder in KY, TN or surrounding areas

I am new to the board. I live in Louisville, KY and am looking for a reputable breeder within a 5 to 6 hour drive. I have had 2 American Show lines in the past who were riddled with temperament and health problems. My last dog, Ben, had EPI, severe skin allergies and perianal fistulas. He was a nervous, aggressive and unpredictable dog as well. So, most important to me is a breeder who cares about the health and temperament of their dogs! I think I would prefer WGSL because the temperament would be more laidback than a working dog and also we prefer the looks of the showlines but that is less of a consideration than temperament. The dog would primarily be a companion to my family which includes two children (7 and 11). But I would also like to get the dog involved in obedience at a young age as well as agility or rally when he is older. After reading many posts by others on the boards, I am considering Drache Feld, Alta-Tollhaus and Sequoyah as a possibility but don't know if these dogs would be too active for our lifestyle. Anyone have any suggestions or other recommendations?

Kayos and Havoc 03-27-2014 02:57 PM

Welcome to you. All of those breeders are good breeders.

Most GSD's require a fair amount of exercise and training but also settle well if they been given a chance to blow off steam through exercise.

If you want a more laid back GSD let the breeder know what your expectations are and they will do the best they can to match you with the right pup.

hunterisgreat 03-27-2014 03:03 PM

WGSL = west german show line... as far as I'm aware Sequoyah is working lines

cards*fan 03-27-2014 04:42 PM

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards WGSL over working because of more middle of the road temperament and also prefer the looks of the showlines over working dogs. But am considering Sequoyah because of their outstanding reputation. Drache Feld is close to home and that is a plus as far as really getting to know the breeder.

Gwenhwyfair 03-27-2014 04:59 PM

I've met a couple Sequoyah dogs in person, owner was happy but mentioned they were a handful.

If you're willing to drive into GA two WGSL kennels near Atlanta, kennels Von Lotta. Owner is very active in showing and in IPO.

German Shepherd puppies for sale | German Shepherd breeders | Imported German Shepherd Puppies| German Shepherd Kennels

South of ATL is oher tannen also active in competition and IPO. A member here, Neko, has two dogs from oher tannen. You can PM her for her feedback. I bump into a oher tannen dog fairly often at the dog park and owner is happy and dog is friendly and easy going with people and other dogs.

Von den Oher Tannen

Smithie86 03-27-2014 07:15 PM

There is also Jeff Lund in Franklin, KY and Charlie Star in Lexington.

There is a show at the horse park in two weeks in Lexington.

Liesje 03-27-2014 07:26 PM

Definitely go to the show! I'm sure you will see a lot of breeders there. I would go except we'll be in Florida and my dogs at my friend's farm.

The Packman 03-27-2014 09:21 PM

I have two Sequoyah GSD's...and they couldn't be any better.

Dr. Sherle is the greatest and we use her as our Vet and classes also.

cards*fan 03-27-2014 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the input!

cards*fan 03-27-2014 10:20 PM

Anyone know the dates on the GSD at KY Horse Park in Lexington? Is it April 12 and 13 or 13 and 14, 2014? I see conflicting dates when I google it.