hip guarantee - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hip guarantee

Hello everyone again,

Looking through different breeders, I have noticed most provide a 2 year hip guarantee, where at 2 years the dog gets x-rayed and checked. There are several that only have a 1 year guarantee, so the dog has up to 14 months or so to get x-rayed. Is this a red flag? Why would some of these breeders want the hips to be checked at 1 year and not 2 years? I was just looking at a breeder, and dogs looked great, but then I saw that on the webpage and was wondering if this is something to worry about?

Thanks
endlessaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I haven't heard of this in Australia. Does the guarantee mean if positive for dysplasia they will refund your purchase price or offer a different dog?

I suspect the reason why some say 1 year rather than 2 is perhaps there are dogs in this pups pedigree that had/have HD or high scores and the smaller time period guarantee reduces the chance of dysplasia developing due to anything the owner does environmentally (excessive weight & exercise) as opposed to waiting 2 years?

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Generally they'll let you return the dog for a new one or get an additional dog at a discount.. of course, most people (myself included) are much too attached to the dog by that time to do anything

You can have prelims done before 2 years old and if the dogs hips are crap you'll usually see it by then. Whether or not they'll rate the same as they would at 2 isn't for sure, but it's not like a dog will look excellent at 1 and severe at 2.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can get preliminary xrays done at 1 year. And you can get xrays done before 2 years. If there is HD, it will show up.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had prelims done at 6 months, as I was doing sportwork with my pup and wanted to know early on what the inside looked like. My dogs breeder also wanted to know how the pups were turning out, so this information is good early on if repeat breedings are a possibility. I also did them at 2 yrs old. It had nothing to do with any guarantee, but all about the health and safety of my dog. Supplements are very helpful.
A close friend had her dog diagnosed with severe HD in both hips at 1 yr of age, and she was able to get the FHO surgery done on him so he wasn't in constant pain. We use to walk the dogs in a 6 mile loop and soon after, he started showing signs of discomfort at 10 months old. He was a byb GSD, so there was no breeder guarantee.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

From my understanding the SV does hips at one year, so a lot of working line breeders do the hips at a year as well.

Several studies have shown that environment can cause HD, so at a year maybe they are hopefully to weed out only the cases of genetics, not environmental?

I don't see it is a red flag. If the dog has HD you should be able to see it by a year.
mjta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.