Is this breeder right? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

What breed does your daughter want? A border collie?
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My main concern would be that you needed to get the pup by payments. If I were a breeder I wouldn't sell a pup on payments. Purchasing is just the start of a very expensive hobby and you already have a GSD pup. Teens have all these desires, idealistic ideas and plans but ultimately you probably will be responsible for the dog in the end. I would let her work with the GSD pup and if she won't, then that's too bad. In situation like that I practiced tough love and paid off big time in then end for us parents and for the kids. You can't always give what they want.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With living critters, it is more than just your problem. I mean, if I sold you a piano, you being military means you have to move every few years, it is really none of my concern if you aren't going to be able to move the piano. The piano doesn't have feelings. The piano doesn't run the risk of landing in a shelter, to be euthanized.

And if you have to wait for a tax-return, the breeder does offer a good question, how come you can't put it on a cc? Do you not have a valid cc? If you don't have the money, and you don't have a cc, than how will you manage a serious illness.

Again, if this was a piano, then it is none of my business if you are not going to be able to have it tuned when it needs it. But a critter probably will have you at the vet, and even an e-vet. Regular vets generally want their money on the day, but e-vets generally will not even look at your dog without money or a cc up front.

These are red flags to breeders. Or, I should say, yellow flags. I don't like red flags. There are some, but yellow flags require more questions. Give me your plan of action for when you have to move. Show me how you have managed to keep other large dogs and make moves with them. Tell me you have a CC but, you want to keep that open in the even that there are problems unforeseen with the puppy and waiting for the tax-return just makes more sense for a one-time expenditure such as the purchase price of the puppy.

Breeders who are letting their conformation puppies go -- puppies that they WANT people showing in the show ring, probably would want a pretty strong commitment that you will indeed show the dog. However, a pet-quality pup from a breeder who shows their dogs in conformation, may be the best entry-level dog for a kid who might get into showing in conformation.

You have a 13 week old GSD puppy, and you are thinking about getting an 8 week old other puppy? That is another breeder-reddish flag. Really. Two puppies at once is really tough. And baloney on the kid taking responsibility for a puppy.

I don't like what I am hearing about the breeder not wanting to keep the puppy for another week, until your check comes. If they have a deposit, breeders should be pretty flexible about the actual time the pup comes home. Who cares if the rest of the litter is gone? Are they selling the dam too. What is an extra week with a puppy?

It sounds like the breeder and co-owner do not want to wait for their money. Their concerns are valid, but if it is used as pressure for you to come up with the money quicker for them, then walk away.

One last note: On waiting for the breeder you like, who has dogs that you like, this is the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY to TEACH your daughter that dogs are not something that you run out and get, right now, that it is more important to go with the breeder you trust, and somethings are better to wait for.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah

Last edited by selzer; 03-13-2014 at 03:41 PM.
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would probably have the same reservations. It is not just one thing but a series of things that would make me uncomfortable about the transaction were I a breeder

-The commitment level and changing priorities of a teen
-You already have one puppy in the house; who knows what that will bring? What if it gets sick, too?
-The idea of a payment plan then a credit card but not until after the taxes
---kind of indicates a lack of planning/finances if the dog does get sick
-The question of military moves and maybe they have a past experience with this

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

The puppy is actually 13 weeks old. This breeder does not let the puppies go until later. Which is fine by me, they have more bladder control at that age then at 8 weeks! This particular puppy I believe is a hard sell because of some discoloration under his eyes that she swears will go away. It is a Samoyed. They are hard to find around here actually! When I was first talking to her this puppy had been passed on a few times.
I do have a CC but I don't want to pay for a puppy on it. I actually have the money in the bank to pay for him BUT that money is reserved for emergencies. We own 2 houses and 2 cars, I keep money in reserve. I did offer payments as an option if she needed this puppy gone NOW. She has another litter on the ground that is a few weeks old so I don't know why the pup needs gone right away.
No worries, again I feel my situation is good and I felt I had done enough soul searching to decide whether to get a pup for her or not. I understand not all people do the research and make sure they are in a position to get a dog so those that do sometimes get the short end of the stick.
SARpup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OMG, a Samoyed! That is a lot of work and upkeep. What is her reason for wanting a Samoyed? Why isn't your daughter paying for the dog? She should have a job and money saved for something like this.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Well she is not old enough to have a job right now. She does babysitting and odd jobs and I told her she will pay for her classes. She is home schooled so is home all day, she is aware of the work involved. I do not know WHY she wants a sammy, WHY do I only want shepherds? I guess it is personal preference. I have tried to talk her out of it and I was hoping this little rescue puppy would do the trick but she is not interested in any other dog. I have had her in classes for a few months now and she has handled all sorts of dogs and been given the opportunity to get several different dogs and has passed. Again WHY do I have and prefer shepherds? I just do!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think at that age, if I wanted a dog that was THAT expensive, I would have been required to take some odd jobs to help defray the cost. Not only is it a life, but it's an EXPENSIVE one! It doesn't hurt to learn to make sacrifices to appreciate the payoff. There is no reason to rush into it. I would let her babysit, do odd jobs (heck I mowed lawns .. fun when I could barely crank that push mower..and as a short gal wasn't that much taller than the handle). There will be other litters.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I think at that age, if I wanted a dog that was THAT expensive, I would have been required to take some odd jobs to help defray the cost. Not only is it a life, but it's an EXPENSIVE one! It doesn't hurt to learn to make sacrifices to appreciate the payoff. There is no reason to rush into it. I would let her babysit, do odd jobs (heck I mowed lawns .. fun when I could barely crank that push mower..and as a short gal wasn't that much taller than the handle). There will be other litters.
She's a teenager. Her mother knows whether she is mature enough and close enough to take on odd jobs, or get a job, or whether that makes sense to teach her about responsibility and all that.

$1800 is not all that expensive for a puppy from a responsible show-breeder.

What I have a problem with, is that it is more important to get a puppy NOW, than it is to get a puppy from a breeder that we know and trust. Is there a good Samoyed puppy out there right now from a good breeder somewhere? Sure. Somewhere. But waiting to support the breeder who does a lot with training kids up in the sport, that you know, that you like her dogs, that just makes way more sense to me.

Bottom line is, doesn't matter what you do. If you have the puppy ready right now, it will go. That is kind of sad.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

That is what I am trying to teach her now! That you need to wait for the right litter. This breeder is helping me in a way to teach that since I can not get this pup!
Again I was just frustrated and venting that! I don't think it was right for her to refuse to sell the pup to me based on my husbands active military status. Again, I know other military families have given reason to create a stereotype. I am not that person and have refused to get a dog until we are prepared and secure. THAT was my frustration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.