With living critters, it is more than just your problem. I mean, if I sold you a piano, you being military means you have to move every few years, it is really none of my concern if you aren't going to be able to move the piano. The piano doesn't have feelings. The piano doesn't run the risk of landing in a shelter, to be euthanized.
And if you have to wait for a tax-return, the breeder does offer a good question, how come you can't put it on a cc? Do you not have a valid cc? If you don't have the money, and you don't have a cc, than how will you manage a serious illness.
Again, if this was a piano, then it is none of my business if you are not going to be able to have it tuned when it needs it. But a critter probably will have you at the vet, and even an e-vet. Regular vets generally want their money on the day, but e-vets generally will not even look at your dog without money or a cc up front.
These are red flags to breeders. Or, I should say, yellow flags. I don't like red flags. There are some, but yellow flags require more questions. Give me your plan of action for when you have to move. Show me how you have managed to keep other large dogs and make moves with them. Tell me you have a CC but, you want to keep that open in the even that there are problems unforeseen with the puppy and waiting for the tax-return just makes more sense for a one-time expenditure such as the purchase price of the puppy.
Breeders who are letting their conformation puppies go -- puppies that they WANT people showing in the show ring, probably would want a pretty strong commitment that you will indeed show the dog. However, a pet-quality pup from a breeder who shows their dogs in conformation, may be the best entry-level dog for a kid who might get into showing in conformation.
You have a 13 week old GSD puppy, and you are thinking about getting an 8 week old other puppy? That is another breeder-reddish flag. Really. Two puppies at once is really tough. And baloney on the kid taking responsibility for a puppy.
I don't like what I am hearing about the breeder not wanting to keep the puppy for another week, until your check comes. If they have a deposit, breeders should be pretty flexible about the actual time the pup comes home. Who cares if the rest of the litter is gone? Are they selling the dam too. What is an extra week with a puppy?
It sounds like the breeder and co-owner do not want to wait for their money. Their concerns are valid, but if it is used as pressure for you to come up with the money quicker for them, then walk away.
One last note: On waiting for the breeder you like, who has dogs that you like, this is the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY to TEACH your daughter that dogs are not something that you run out and get, right now, that it is more important to go with the breeder you trust, and somethings are better to wait for.
Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Last edited by selzer; 03-13-2014 at 03:41 PM.