German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   DDR German Shepherds (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/422554-ddr-german-shepherds.html)

Fate 03-11-2014 05:04 AM

DDR German Shepherds

I have been very interested in the DDR/Czech/Slovak type of dogs but I need some direction. Do any of you know any of breeders of this type of type in California or Arizona, or Nevada? Any experiences with this type of dog?

phiction 03-11-2014 08:17 AM

I have a DDR German shepherd, Lucy. She is a year and a half now. Unfortunately, I can't help you with breeders in the southwest. We got our dog from Von der Haus Gill in western Ohio. The owner, Al Gill, does ship dogs all over the world. I can say that Lucy is whip smart, fairly high energy, but with a good "off switch." Her temperament is lovely. Very even and not a mean bone in her body. She's rarely skittish about any thing, and even then her approach is to stop initially and then investigate. Lucy is without doubt the best dog I have had (of six in my lifetime). As with any dog you would get from a breeder, you would have to research the parents and try to see previous pups, if that's possible. We were fortunate to know a local police canine officer who recommended VDH Gill, since he had obtained several police dogs from them. You may want to check with local law enforcement in your area to see if they can recommend local working dog breeders. If you get a working line dog, you have to be committed to giving it sufficient mental as well as physical exercise. We have found that basic obedience training and running her outside is not enough. Lucy definitely needs mental work like trick training, agility, Schutzhund/IPO, or similar. Good luck to you.

JakodaCD OA 03-11-2014 08:59 AM

Masi came from kleinenhain in KY.

GSDAlphaMom 03-11-2014 09:35 AM

Eli is from Schraderhaus in Washington state.

SunCzarina 03-11-2014 10:36 AM

I've had 2 DDR males, so much alike they're almost the same dog. Fun loving and a bit hyper, daily exercise and BALL is a must. Brilliant though, so loyal, never wanting to do the wrong thing and make me angry. Always happy, almost like a rottweiler in their sense of humor (gonna mess with you!) and how they would eat.

Protection skills came natural and very young, even if somewhat lopsided. Otto at 8 months did a bark and hold on the plumber changing a toilet tank. My plumber still tells his guys that story.

His breeder's in NH so I can't really help you there.

blackshep 03-11-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom (Post 5174738)
Eli is from Schraderhaus in Washington state.

How do you like him?

I've heard they are good breeders, if I ever get another GSD, I'm going to look at them a bit more closely.

Fate 03-11-2014 09:50 PM

Any in the southwest? I'd like to be able to meet the breeder.

kleinenHain 03-11-2014 10:07 PM

how close are you to Texas?

Nikki-Rose 03-12-2014 01:54 AM

I've been looking for the same for a little while. Here's what I've gathered in the area.
CA: JustK9s | Kistha Haus German Shepherds and Pembroke Welsh Corgi German Shepherd Dog, True Haus Kennels

There are a couple nice looking breeders in Washington state if you are willing to go a little bit further.

Fate 03-12-2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinenHain (Post 5179762)
how close are you to Texas?

I am currently in the Los Angeles area, so not too close. But any info is helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikki-Rose (Post 5181234)
I've been looking for the same for a little while. Here's what I've gathered in the area.
CA: JustK9s | Kistha Haus German Shepherds and Pembroke Welsh Corgi German Shepherd Dog, True Haus Kennels

There are a couple nice looking breeders in Washington state if you are willing to go a little bit further.

JustK9s was one that I found recently. Really good looking dogs coming from there. And I love the Corgis too. True Haus I have not seen yet. I'll take a look at that one.