Looking for a breeder, British Columbia... Bullinger Shepherds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Messa
Default Looking for a breeder, British Columbia... Bullinger Shepherds?

Hello! This is my first post on these forums, so bare with me. I have been lurking around for months and finally felt the need to post!

I am looking for my first German Shepherd Dog.
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I have taken a gander across the websites of all the kennels within driving distance that I could find, and researched into each breeders reputation to the best of my abilities. Currently, the most likely option seems to be Bullinger Shepherds .

First and foremost, and if nothing else, I want this dog as a companion. I want a dog that won't mind sitting next to me or at my feet and will always want to be close more than anything.

I am, however, very interested in the sport of Schutzhund/IPO and am considering taking part in this as well. It sounds like the dogs that participate in schutzhund, when the time and effort is put into them, are very stable and well-adjusted dogs.
This is something that I would give my right arm for! I am extremely interested in how precise and focused the obedience in schutzhund is, and the discipline that the dogs show during protection work amazes me. As far as I am aware, all of the dogs at Bullinger Shepherds have at least some titles in the sport.

All that being said, the purpose of this thread was to ask those of you who own or have owned a Bullinger dog, or know someone who does, what your overall thoughts on them have been.

- Dogs with sound temperament, good in most situations, trainable, loves to be close to/lay against their human, able to work?
- Has anyone had or heard of any significant problems with the dogs that come from Bullinger Shepherds? Behavioral in particular, but health-wise as well.
Everyone here is far more experienced with the breed than I am, obviously! So, given the dreams I have of who my next best friend could be, would a Bullinger dog be right for me? Companion for life first. Work second.

If not Bullinger Shepherds, do you have any other recommendations for a good breeder?

I've tried to keep this as short as possible but am definitely willing to provide more information.

Thank you very much in advance!
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Make sure you only buy an 8 week old pup - not an older pup who has been living in a run since unsold at 8 weeks.

And try to interact with the mother....if she is not friendly and outgoing and happy to be with you - move on.

Titles on dogs being shown extensively are put on for show purposes...and I would not give them much credence for passing on working ability. This is a show kennel primarily, while a few have done well in sport....I would look more to the personality of the dam to pick a litter and not buy a pup older than 8 or 9 weeks.

Good Luck.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you Lee, I will definitely keep that in mind and pay great attention to the dam of whatever kennel I end up choosing.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Be careful of Bullinger. They are known for line breeding. They have some great dogs, even my own breeding bitch was bred to an Eddie son and i got a great tempered male out of that litter. But, do your research.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Bolen View Post
Be careful of Bullinger. They are known for line breeding. They have some great dogs, even my own breeding bitch was bred to an Eddie son and i got a great tempered male out of that litter. But, do your research.
Hi Bolen,

Linebreeding is something I haven't yet managed to understand. I know that it's breeding relatives 3-5 generations away, but is it always bad?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

No, not always. it just depends on how you look at it, i guess. My personal preference, i generally avoid it. I didn't realize this about Bullinger when i bred to those lines, but hey, we all continue to learn as we go.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Bolen View Post
No, not always. it just depends on how you look at it, i guess. My personal preference, i generally avoid it. I didn't realize this about Bullinger when i bred to those lines, but hey, we all continue to learn as we go.
I'm glad you got a nice male from it, at least!

I still have yet to go see her dogs, which I plan on doing soon. But at this point it almost sounds best to try to ship a dog from one of the kennels on this forum. I just wish I could meet the dogs.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

I recently purchased a puppy from Tracy Bullinger and am extremely happy with her so far. I had done a fair amount of research on GSD breeders in the lower mainland and after visiting a few, settled on Bullinger Shepherds. Recommend that you go out and meet with Tracy, ask all the questions you want. She is very open and very patient. If you are interested in Shutzhund ask her all about that too as she also trains for Shutzhund. If you want/need more info feel free to pm me.
graciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

don't get all swayed by the state of the art , super gorgeous grounds and facility .

know what you want from the dog , and make sure that the dogs that are provided fulfill those needs and desires.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

If you are able, there is a GSSCC Show/Breed Survey coming up at Western Rescue SchH Club April 25-27th that may be worthy of checking out. There are usually multiple dogs from Tracey's kennel and some from other local kennels that are entered into the event and lots of folks mingling about . As far as I know, the event is still on, although sadly I cannot attend as I had hoped due to work :P

Upcoming Events - Western Rescue Schutzhund Club

Last edited by Northern GSDs; 03-17-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Northern GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.