German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Breeder payment timing question (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/419217-breeder-payment-timing-question.html)

Forever_Skye 03-04-2014 06:45 AM

Breeder payment timing question

Hello forum,

I have just recently started my search for a GSD puppy. I am currently looking at a local breeder who has been well recommended on this forum and whose breeding dogs are fully health-certified. My question relates to the timing of payment. In the contract it specifies that $500 is to be paid up front to reserve a puppy and the remaining $1,500 to be paid at the age of six weeks. Then it specifies that no visits to the puppies will be allowed until after the age of six weeks (which I understand, as the threat of health risks can be quite serious at that age) and payment in full is received via a certified check. All money received by the breeder is non refundable, although there is a comprehensive one year health guarantee for complications due to genetic issues, with a replacement only policy. I should mention that visits to the kennel to see the adult dogs is permitted by appointment. So, in effect, I would be buying the puppy sight unseen (pictures posted to the kennel Facebook page excluded) and without recourse and trusting that I would be delivered what I paid for. Are these reasonable requests on the part of the breeder or is this practice unusual?

Sp00ks 03-04-2014 07:32 AM

I can't say if these requests are reasonable or usual. However, I can say I would not be happy with them to the point that I may look around.

We put a deposit down on our pup prior to his birth to make sure we got him reserved. We visited at about 5 weeks, Picked the pup up at 8 weeks and paid in full at that time. I'm going to say the deposit was non-refundable.

So I suppose other than paid in full before services rendered we pretty much followed the other requirements by default. I think the breeder posted pics twice from birth to 8 weeks.

I don't care for paying at 6 weeks. You have no options at that point. This would have turned me off. I'm not slamming the breeder, I just don't care for the payment schedule. I don't think I heard anything like this from any of the breeders I interviewed. I did see some interesting things in the contracts about breeding, showing, etc.

Shade 03-04-2014 08:22 AM

I paid a $500 deposit via etransfer when the litter was born, then brought the remaining $1000 in cash when I picked him up at 9 weeks. I did visit 3 times before taking him home so I felt very confident

I don't think the breeder is being unreasonable but if it makes you uncomfortable then try talking to them about it. Maybe if you get an explaination on why they request it that way it will help shed light on the situation rather then have you nervous about it.

JakodaCD OA 03-04-2014 08:53 AM

so what if the breeder hasn't got a puppy that will fit into what you want? Do they transfer that money to another litter? Are you willing to do that?

Do you trust this breeder enough to be able to pick the perfect puppy for you?

If not, then pass, if so, then proceed:)

Liesje 03-04-2014 08:54 AM

I've bought puppies "sight unseen" as in I didn't see the puppy until the day he came home, but I never paid ahead of time. I always reserve the right to change my mind when I see the puppy and get to meet the dam.

sehrgutcsg 03-04-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever_Skye (Post 5131961)
Hello forum,

I have just recently started my search for a GSD puppy. I am currently looking at a local breeder who has been well recommended on this forum and whose breeding dogs are fully health-certified. My question relates to the timing of payment. In the contract it specifies that $500 is to be paid up front to reserve a puppy and the remaining $1,500 to be paid at the age of six weeks. Then it specifies that no visits to the puppies will be allowed until after the age of six weeks (which I understand, as the threat of health risks can be quite serious at that age) and payment in full is received via a certified check. All money received by the breeder is non refundable, although there is a comprehensive one year health guarantee for complications due to genetic issues, with a replacement only policy. I should mention that visits to the kennel to see the adult dogs is permitted by appointment. So, in effect, I would be buying the puppy sight unseen (pictures posted to the kennel Facebook page excluded) and without recourse and trusting that I would be delivered what I paid for. Are these reasonable requests on the part of the breeder or is this practice unusual?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5132169)
I've bought puppies "sight unseen" as in I didn't see the puppy until the day he came home, but I never paid ahead of time. I always reserve the right to change my mind when I see the puppy and get to meet the dam.

OP,

Sounds like Stan.. I heard the same jingle exactly in California. Sorry, no contract, no payment, no pictures, no payment, no like the pup we move on... A 12 year agreement with no visitation rights.. :sick:

carmspack 03-04-2014 09:47 AM

you have to know what you are looking for . have conversation with the breeder . trust the breeder .

in this day and age ask for video of the dog being by itself , with the littermates, interacting with a person.

this kind of arrangement is not unusual buying a dog from Europe .
sight unseen , too far and inconvenient to visit .

you go on the reputation of the breeder , the feel you get dealing with them .

money for dog and expenses sent before receiving the dog.

what is so special about this litter? $2,000 for what ?

Kayos and Havoc 03-04-2014 09:47 AM

Many breeders do bot take despots until pregnancy is confirmed.

No problem with not visiting before 6 weeks. No problem with appointments either, as perhaps the breeder also has a full time job and stays quite busy.

I think the only thing I don't like is payment in full at 6 weeks. Money order, certified check or cash is fine, Many breeders have been burned by bounced personal checks or even stopped payments.

I would clarify that you can roll over to another litter if the litter does not produce a pup you want. I might also conform that your payment is refundable if there dis no pup suitable for you.

Most breeders that have been burned once or twice take measures to protect themselves. They may look like ridiculous polices to us (and some are) but not to them.

Some breeders do not offer contracts unless you ask for one. Mayhem is the only pup I have bought without a contract. Breeder just feels they are not worth the paper they are written on and she states she will deal with you in honest, Christian manner - and she does. As she is also a personal friend I have seen it. She also will draw up a contract if you want one.

Having other dogs purchased under contract and having health issues that I got nothing for, I can agrees somewhat with this. Mayhem is the first pup I have bought in a long time that has no problems either. I admit I was a little hesitant about no contract but I gave it a shot. I am happy.

So each breeder may be slightly different.

Bottom line - do you like the breeder and the dogs? Are you comfortable with your choice? If not - move on.

martemchik 03-04-2014 12:30 PM

I have a thing about paying the full price when I actually receive the product. Really don't think that's too much to ask in this day and age. We buy much larger items in this way...cars, houses, ect, and I don't believe that dogs should be any different.

If you've read some of the horror stories when breeders do get shifty or litters don't work out, its not always good. And for a breeder to hold on to $2000 for any period of time, without you knowing if and when you will receive a dog, IMO that just seems to be unnecessary. If the breeder is a good one, and is very reputable, they shouldn't worry about buyers backing out to the point that they're taking all that money that early. A 25% deposit is more than enough IMO for them to trust that the buyer won't back out at the last second. And even if the buyer does back out, I've never met a reputable breeder that didn't have a line of people behind that one waiting for a pup.

stmcfred 03-04-2014 01:08 PM

I paid a $500 deposit then paid the remaining balance in cash when I picked her up. I didn't meet her until the day I went to pick her up.