Staatsmacht, Gildaf or Other MN, WI or IL Breeder? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Staatsmacht, Gildaf or Other MN, WI or IL Breeder?

I am looking to get a working line GSD in the near to intermediate term.

My past experience with GSDs:
I have owned three GSDs in the past: One American line that was as smart as a whip, a Czech long coat, working line GSD that loved to heard but that was about it for drive and a mix of a WG show and working line that was good, but had been abused a bit before I got her.

What I am looking for:
None of the 3 dogs I have owned could do protection or shutzhund work for various reasons. However, each was a very good pet and valued by our family in its own way. For my next dog, I want a dog that is capable of doing protection/IPO/schutzhund level work but is also not going to require me to run it for an hour each day. I'm a responsible and dedicated GSD owner, but between work and two children, I can't honestly say that I will be able to commit to extensive daily excercise (although I do live on 5 acres). Hopefully this makes sense and you don't all tell me to go get a golden retriever and a security system.

So here is the question:
I have interacted with Stefen from Staatsmacht and the owner and Gildaf and both have been very impressive and very generous with their time in answering my questions. Both are indisputably very good choices, but would you recommend one over the other in general given what I have said I am looking for? Or, would you recommend anyone else in the WI-IL-MN area in addition?

Very curious to hear your thoughts. Also, for extra credit, I live near Wausau, WI. If anyone knows of a club that exists nearby for training, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
badschnitzel92@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

short list for working dogs in that area, Vom Dreieck, Staatsmacht and Bill Kulla

What kind of dogs do you like? not being smart ass, but go see them, which ones are like what you want to live with? Between the two you've mentioned and having worked dogs from both places, Staatsmacht for me. No question

Last edited by crackem; 02-27-2014 at 02:08 PM.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I think it would come down to which of the two had the sort of dog you want. While I've not met either breeder in person or seen many dogs from them, between the dogs I have seen, venues that they participate in and bloodlines they use, I would expect a very different type of dog from each. Only you can determine which would be a good fit for you.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sent you a pm about our club..check your messages

Sue
justde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm getting a puppy from a Gildaf sire (Buzz) this time next year if the litter is repeated/takes. I personally love their dogs, but I can't tell you which over the other because I've never looked at the other breeder. I just love how involved they are with each dog, I feel they go above and beyond when it comes to working them and they seem to know everything there is to know.

Not to mention their dogs are drop dead gorgeous, just a bonus

But again , don't know the other to say who is better :/

I'm sure regardless both breeders are great. Perhaps look into some of the puppies they've produced in the past and what they expect in their litters.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi, I have an 18 month old dog from Staatsmacht that I train for IPO. He's a very good dog for sport, and also watchful and barks appropriately at home. He's not overly friendly to strangers, but not unfriendly either. He does require some exercise each day. In the cold weather I've been doing a short obedience session in the morning and evening, and he gets time in the yard with my other dog. That keeps him good in the house and totally quiet in his crate. To be successful in IPO you do need a certain energy level. He's a very athletic dog, and easy to train. I expect to start trialing with him this year. I can't comment on how a Gildaf dog would compare because I've never actually seen one work. In my opinion you can't go wrong with Staatsmacht for what you've described. Hope this helps and good luck with your search!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My male's dam is a female from Staatsmacht, and I am extremely pleased with him. I admire the type of working dog Staatsmacht produces, so they get my vote.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a Staatsmacht dog that I am very happy with. He is almost 2.5 years old now. He is a wonderful family pet and lives with 4 little girls and 2 other dogs. He has lots of ball/toy and food drive and does well at Schutzhund. I am hoping to have his IPO1 this summer. With the drives, comes a lot of energy. I try to get him his daily exercise, but when I don't, he is still pretty calm in the house. He knows how to run on the treadmill, so that helps a lot on these really cold or snowy days. He loves to cuddle and get his belly rubbed. He is now at the point where I can leave him out in the house for a few hours a day and trust him not to destroy anything. He also comes up to our cabin (LOVES to swim and dock dive) and is good at meeting strangers, but not overly friendly. He does have a nasty bark when people come up to our house, but is friendly when people come in the house. He doesn't love new dogs (NOT a dog park dog), but when properly introduced is fine.

I have been training with Stefan since I got Dude and can say that he is very honest and I would buy another dog from him in a heartbeat.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have two working line German shepherds from Gildaf and would reccomend Melinda as a breeder. Her dogs are beautiful and intelligent and I love mine. She will work with you to find the right puppy for your situation. I will say that working line dogs are a commitment as far as training and exercise. Show lines are a bit less of a commitment because they are not as driven.
glowingtoadfly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Italian One

Sounds kind of like what we were looking for when we got our Butch. Butch is our Staatsmacht puppy from the D-litter here in the states and is just over 2 years old. Butch lives in the house with us and our other dog. He does like to have daily exercise but there's no way I'm taking him for an hour long run (even in nice weather). Actually with this cold weather we've had this winter he doesn't get as much outdoor physical exercise as he probably would like. Instead we do more mental exercises in this weather such as short obedience sessions in the house (10-15 minutes each), maybe work on a crazy trick or two for fun, play a short game of fetch and he gets to run outside with our other dog. He doesn't seem to have trouble settling down in the house when we want to watch a TV show or something calm. My husband and I both work full time and he has free roam of the house while we are at work. We usually go out to training every weekend and have earned our SchH - BH along with a few other minor titles (HIC & Nosework ORTs) and are training for more titles in SchH & Nosework this coming trialing season. We know and train with several Staatsmacht puppy owners and I have to say these dogs are impressive. Stefan is a wonderful breeder & trainer. He is great to work with.

If you want a dog to train and compete in Schutzhund/IPO, you are very fortunate to have Staatsmacht so close. Like you, I did look at other breeders in this area and I would very confidently say that Staatsmacht would still be my top recommendation in this area for a puppy and for training.

Bark A Little on Facebook
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.