German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Anyone familiar with Vom Holtzberg kennel (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/415130-anyone-familiar-vom-holtzberg-kennel.html)

Emdog 02-23-2014 12:46 PM

Anyone familiar with Vom Holtzberg kennel

Hello all. I am looking for a medium drive WL GSD in the pacific northwest and I found there web site. Looks like good dam and sire but owners do not test for DM. Dont know why you would not test for DM in this day??? Anyway, their communication is terrible and I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone familiar with them before I move on. Holtzberg K9, AKC German Shepherd Puppies, DDR Czech Working Dogs . Thanks for any help!

Xeph 02-23-2014 12:54 PM

There are many breeders who still do not do DM testing. It is a controversial test

DaniFani 02-23-2014 01:00 PM

How do they know the litter will have "excellent medium working drives" if they aren't working their dogs....sounds like another breeder cashing in on the huge market right now for "blocky head, dark sable, "pure DDR" german shepherds"...compound "terrible communication" to that...I'd move on.

erfunhouse 02-23-2014 01:51 PM

How do you test for DM?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

wolfstraum 02-23-2014 02:01 PM

DM testing is easy - check swab....less than $100 per dog...yes controversial but it does not hurt to do it and try to make intelligent breeding choices

Lee

Sp00ks 02-23-2014 02:17 PM

Our breeder is a vet. She tested for DM and they both tested Negative however, she said she doesn't trust the test 100% and gave an explanation that I can't regurgitate.

Emdog 02-23-2014 02:19 PM

Thanks all !! I appreciate the feedback.

Xeph 02-23-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfstraum (Post 5072130)
DM testing is easy - check swab....less than $100 per dog...yes controversial but it does not hurt to do it and try to make intelligent breeding choices

Lee

While I do not disagree, I also don't condemn those who do not yet test for this yet. There do seem to be some valid concerns.

When it comes to diagnosis, the crappiest thing about DM is that it cannot be truly diagnosed until after the dog has died. Very few people are going to allow a necropsy on their beloved pet.

doggiedad 02-23-2014 07:13 PM

their dogs are titled. isn't that working the dog?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaniFani (Post 5071882)

>>>> How do they know the litter will have "excellent medium working drives" if they aren't working their dogs <<<<....

sounds like another breeder cashing in on the huge market right now for "blocky head, dark sable, "pure DDR" german shepherds"...compound "terrible communication" to that...I'd move on.

wolfy dog 02-23-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 5073794)
their dogs are titled. isn't that working the dog?

This could be because they may have bought the breeding stock as titled. Not sure if that is the case currently.