German Shepherds Forum banner

Looking for Golden Retriever pup-IN, MI, OH

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Liesje 
#1 ·
Thought that maybe someone here would have info. to share.

My dd is looking for a breeder in the midwest, NE Indiana would be ideal!, but willing to travel, MI, OH or IL areas.

She has always wanted a GSD, but after watching me with my GSD the past year, she realizes that it is probably not the best choice for her right now.

We have had Goldens in the past (from BYB types & want to avoid that this time) and a golden really would be a much better fit for her.

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has a litter of field bred retrievers( Kalamazoo, MI area). They are two weeks old right now. She competes with hers in competitive obedience, hunt tests.
She isn't a big breeder, this is her second and final litter with her bitch Torch. Torch is a great dog!
PM me if you want Marcia's contact information.

#6 ·
what are you doing with your GSD to make someone think a GSD
isn't for them? GSD's are so easy, so easy to train.

Thought that maybe someone here would have info. to share.

My dd is looking for a breeder in the midwest, NE Indiana would be ideal!, but willing to travel, MI, OH or IL areas.

She has always wanted a GSD, but after watching me with my GSD the past year, she realizes that it is probably not the best choice for her right now.

We have had Goldens in the past (from BYB types & want to avoid that this time) and a golden really would be a much better fit for her.

Thanks!

#7 ·
Goldens are not necessarily easier then GSD's. My first golden was easy all the way around, the second one not so much. He has more energy and is more challenging then both of the GSD's put together. Maybe an older rescue that you can see what they are like? Or even an older one from the breeder?

#8 ·
Nothing I (or my dog) is doing has changed my daughters mind about wanting a GSD SOMEDAY.

When she does get a GSD, she wants a high drive working dog to compete with. She just sees how much time and energy it takes and is not ready to take that on yet.

Right now she feels that a golden may fit her life better, nothing wrong with that.

#9 ·
there's a good chance we're getting a Golden in the near future.
i don't think it will take less energy or less time to properly raise
a Golden compared to a GSD.

Nothing I (or my dog) is doing has changed my daughters mind about wanting a GSD SOMEDAY.

When she does get a GSD, she wants a high drive working dog to compete with.

>>>>> She just sees how much time and energy it takes and is not ready to take that on yet. <<<<<

Right now she feels that a golden may fit her life better, nothing wrong with that.

#11 ·
My dad had field dogs, golden retrievers and labs seem to be hyper puppies until they are 4/5 years old lol. I think it's funny that so many people get them as first time/family dogs, and then are shocked at how much energy and drive they have. They expect the lab/golden to be this quiet, sleeping by the fire, family companion. When in reality the dog loves everyone and everything, jumps like a jack russel (a 75 pound jack russel), and would literally run to go home with anyone lol, it's more like Marley and Me, than Old Yeller...

#14 ·
My GSD is definitely more demanding than the Labs I grew up with. GSD's need a job and need to be with you and are very demanding. I can definitely see that they are more work, but a Lab or GR can still be very busy dogs, especially when they are young.

I think your daughter is probably making a good decision, they are nice dogs, and generally more docile than a GSD.

Good luck with your search!!

#15 ·
"She just sees how much time and energy it takes and is not ready to take that on yet."

EVERY puppy, regardless of the breed, requires a TON of time and energy. It doesn't sound like she is ready to take on a puppy at all if that is the obstacle she is facing.

This was already said and I agree, that she should get an older rescue until she has the time for a puppy.

#16 · (Edited)
I dunno. I think some puppies/breeds are easier (in general) then others.

Depends on the breeding but the showline goldens I've been around are pretty mellow and easy going. You're not dealing with strong hunting instincts, nor high prey drive and in the case of GSDs the added layers of defense, protection and other drives they add to the mix.

My sister recently got a labradoodle and you know, the puppy is mellow, happy, easy going floppy little marshmellow with some food drive that housetrained in no time too.

Our little Aussie was very easy too, did not go through a land shark stage really, matured quickly, is very soft (a firm no is a serious correction to her) and just a little happy clown.

I think there's wisdom in the OPs friend's decision. She just needs to find the right breeder and get a more mellow pup of the litter and it may be just the ticket for her.

#17 · (Edited)
She has plenty of time for a puppy, I could have worded that better.... she just realizes that a more mellow dog may fit her life better right now. She will not be working April-August at minimum, she is 25, soon to be married and lives on literally 1000+ acres.

Just because she decided a GSD was not for her, does not mean that she isn't ready for a puppy, especially when she has had experience with 2 goldens and my current GSD! She is well aware of how much time and energy all puppies take.

The goldens WE have had were very mellow, quiet & easy to train, NO landshark phase, settled easily in the house and very cuddly from the beginning. Unlike my GSD, who drew blood every time you touched her for the 1st month or so and is just starting to find her 'off' switch at nearly 1 1/2 yrs. old.

Deciding against a GSD does not make someone not ready for a puppy, and some people find other breeds easier for THEM to relate to and train and a better fit. Good for her for realizing that now.

#18 ·
JMO...if she's looking at sl be very, very, verrry careful regarding health & longevity. They seem to be much more cancer prone than the field lines or the well bred pet Goldens. I've heard of too many sl dying even before 6! Friends of mine that felt they were doing it right & were assured they were going to 'good' breeders (ie breeders that do conformation) just gave up after losing 'em waaay too early.

Goldens are not necessarily easier then GSD's. My first golden was easy all the way around, the second one not so much. He has more energy and is more challenging then both of the GSD's put together. Maybe an older rescue that you can see what they are like? Or even an older one from the breeder?
Sooo true. They're very sweet but I find them uber soft (especially sl) & (imo) excessively needy. Pups (til 3-4 sometimes) can be VERY high energy. IF the demands of a puppy are a concern, an adult can be a much better choice, & even more rewarding. Breeders, even if they don't have adults available, often have contacts with adults or older pups available.

My dad had field dogs, golden retrievers and labs seem to be hyper puppies until they are 4/5 years old lol. I think it's funny that so many people get them as first time/family dogs, and then are shocked at how much energy and drive they have. They expect the lab/golden to be this quiet, sleeping by the fire, family companion. When in reality the dog loves everyone and everything, jumps like a jack russel (a 75 pound jack russel), and would literally run to go home with anyone lol, it's more like Marley and Me, than Old Yeller...
THIS! With the proper temperament they're friendly, biddable, trusting & do exceptionally well with people, especially children. With the proper temperament they're not easily riled, not inclined to bite & not intensely territorial. However, easy in some ways doesn't mean easy in all ways. They are, in their own way, very demanding, active, athletic dogs that must expend their energy constructively or else. Many young Labs aroung here have fallen victim to the vague promise of 'perfect family dog'. Yeahhh, adequate execise + training + 4 years=perfect family dog.

#19 ·
Just had a 9 week old Golden visit me at work. He was probably the most mellow puppy I've ever met. I'm guessing a SL, he had a big head and was huge (larger than my 5 month old GSD).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.