pups in Florida - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default pups in Florida

Hi there,

Hubby and I are looking for a (preferably) female pup in Florida. We are in sarasota but willing to travel. We are in no rush, looking into purchasing sometime this year. We do prefer german working lines, but our main concern is health and temperament. We want a sound dog to join our family as a companion. I do have experience with GSDs since my father owned several and currently has one he imported from Poland. Absolutely beautiful, intelligent dog, but importing is way out of my price range. Is it possible to find a sound dog from a reputable breeder for under $1000?

If anyone knows of a breeder in Florida in this price range please let me know..

Thanks
endlessaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you are looking for working lines in Florida, contact Betty with Little River she is also on this forum.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Since it looks like you are doing the right thing to find a great responsible breeder (How to find a puppy!) alot of them don't breed many litters a year. This will give you more time to save up to maybe match up with the $1000+ cost.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessaley View Post
. Is it possible to find a sound dog from a reputable breeder for under $1000?

If anyone knows of a breeder in Florida in this price range please let me know..

Thanks
I think you need to expect to pay more than that if you want a well bred dog.
Good luck
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I would say possible but not probable. Our pup is precisely as you described and was around $1500 which seems to be about the going rate around here.

Keep in mind on top of the price of the pup, you will have vet expenses, I highly suggest some formal training with a trainer that has experience in Shepherds or working breeds in general.

I've never been a huge advocate of formal training. We have owned shepherds for over 20+ years but signed up for some basic puppy classes and I'm so glad we did. It has helped with structure, motivation, etc. Of us more than the pup. We have also met like minded people and it also gave some socialization in a controlled environment.

Ok, off my soap box
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

we didn't have money to spend on a pup. we saved $25.00 to $100.00
a week untill we had enough for a well bred pup. you're going to need a
few extra dollars for classes, toys, crate, bowls, bed or beds, shots, leash,
collar, treats, food, etc.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default thank you

thank you for the replies.

I do realize the expenses that come with dog ownership. I have had dogs my whole life and have 2 dogs currently. We can definitely pay more than $1000 but I wanted to know if it really is necessary for a pet/companion dog. I see such a range of prices for pups going up to 3K. I dont plan to show or breed, so just wanted to get an average cost of a regular healthy dog, since most breeders dont list prices on their websites.

I have seen the devastating effects of hip dysplasia and other diseases so I definitely want a reputable breeder. The search is incredibly overwhelming though, with so many breeders everywhere with such a wide range of dogs. ::Sigh:: got plenty of time though so want to do as much research as possible. The nearest kennel to me is Tropisch. They look like they have some beautiful dogs so might give them a visit.
anyone else have any FLoridian breeders they would recommend please let me know! thank you

Last edited by endlessaley; 02-24-2014 at 09:07 PM.
endlessaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live in St. Augustine FL and where I train with my GSDICNDF, he breeds working line and import lines, he has been for over 25 years. He trains high end police dogs to service dogs. He just had a litter about 2 weeks ago. The older the pup is the higher his prices go up I think at 8 weeks it's 1,500. I highly recommend him. You have to call and make an appointment and such. My next puppy will 100 % be from him. Here is his website. http://www.icndf.com
CleoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

check breeder references and then look at price.

If you have dogs, you can imagine the vet bills just to make sure you have a healthy litter.

Add to that, titled dam and sire etc... and you can see why pup gets expensive before there's even a slither of profit for breeder.

cost the same to breed a pet as a 'show' dog.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleoPatrick View Post
I live in St. Augustine FL and where I train with my GSDICNDF, he breeds working line and import lines, he has been for over 25 years. He trains high end police dogs to service dogs. He just had a litter about 2 weeks ago. The older the pup is the higher his prices go up I think at 8 weeks it's 1,500. I highly recommend him. You have to call and make an appointment and such. My next puppy will 100 % be from him. Here is his website. http://www.icndf.com
My mistake his puppies at 8 weeks are 2,500 then as they age they go up to 4,500, He also never breeds dogs unless they have perfect hips.
CleoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.