REputable??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default REputable???

Hey everyone,

Soooo while looking around to find a mate for my Bell, (not to become a breeder but because I want her to have a litter before she is spayed, this way she is complete and does not feel like a part of her is missing) I stumbld upon Von Shiprock shepherds here in the SanTan Valley area in Arizona. Has anyone gotten a pup from them or know them, or can tell me if they are reputable or not?
G&Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Is this the puppy who is 6 months old?

A reputable breeder would not stud his dog out to a female who he did not feel was a good specimen of the breed with hip and elbow OFA testing (or SV) and a brucellosis test, etc. She really does not need a litter to "feel complete".

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you're not going to shatter the dogs dreams by not allowing her to have a litter .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

are you thinking about buying a dog to mate with your dog
or are you looking for a breeder who has a stud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&Arabella View Post
Hey everyone,

Soooo while looking around to find a mate for my Bell, (not to become a breeder but because I want her to have a litter before she is spayed, this way she is complete and does not feel like a part of her is missing) I stumbld upon Von Shiprock shepherds here in the SanTan Valley area in Arizona. Has anyone gotten a pup from them or know them, or can tell me if they are reputable or not?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I wouldn't breed her just so she "feels complete" dogs don't know any different.
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&Arabella View Post
not to become a breeder but because I want her to have a litter before she is spayed
If someone allows - by choice or through inaction - a bitch to become pregnant they ARE a breeder.

So you have a to make a choice - do you want to be a RESPONSIBLE breeder (do the health tests to confirm that your bitch is healthy, have her evaluated to confirm that she is breed worthy, study her to find her faults and then study the males to find the one that will compliment her faults but not bring any others, check out potential puppy buyers and be ready to take back ANY of the puppies - at ANY age - if their owners cannot keep them) or an IRRESPONSIBLE breeder (pick any male, throw them together, have puppies and sell them to whomever).

Those are your two choices. If you want to be a RESPONSIBLE breeder then the first steps are to have your bitch tested - health, structure, temperament and working ability.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Face palm smilie?

You place yourself in a conundrum. A truly reputable breeder would never never never sell or stud a male to you to breed for the reason you mention above.

So...if you buy/find a male for the purpose of breeding you will not be dealing with a reputable breeder.

Please please please don't do this. Every week, every day I have a parade of local,broken, starved, sick and homeless german shepherds being tagged on my FB page. They too were produced by someone who was breeding for the wrong reason. Our local rescue can't pull and find fosters for them fast enough and they often die in 'the room' where they are put to death.

Please please please don't breed your female, get her spayed, love her and enjoy her.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
If someone allows - by choice or through inaction - a bitch to become pregnant they ARE a breeder.

So you have a to make a choice - do you want to be a RESPONSIBLE breeder (do the health tests to confirm that your bitch is healthy, have her evaluated to confirm that she is breed worthy, study her to find her faults and then study the males to find the one that will compliment her faults but not bring any others, check out potential puppy buyers and be ready to take back ANY of the puppies - at ANY age - if their owners cannot keep them) or an IRRESPONSIBLE breeder (pick any male, throw them together, have puppies and sell them to whomever).
I may have worded that wrong, I am not looking to become a full time breeder and let Bell have more than one litter and repeat the process gain and again with her pups. I do plan on having her tested when she is a little bit older before I do allow her to have a litter. I do not want to just pick up a male and let them have at each other. That isn't fair to the dogs and it doesn't sit well with me. That is as bad as saying "I want a kid, so I'll go get some random woman pregnant and claim the child."

I want to find a good quality male and do want to keep him.
G&Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

is your dog from several generations of dogs that have been
tested and titled?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm confused....you are looking to buy a male puppy, or looking for a stud dog? If the latter, for a good quality stud you will likely need to have hip and elbow certifications at barest of minimum, plus brucellosis testing and many will require vaginal cultures as well and also progesterone testing before the breeding. Most will also require the female to be trained and titled, possibly even breed surveyed.

If you are looking for a puppy and like your female, why not just go back to her breeder and get a second dog with similar lines? Seems like a lot of work to be doing all the necessary training/titling, health certifications, etc on TWO dogs to breed a litter.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.