Questions about breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about breeder

I found a breeder that I like and would like to get some second opinions before I make any final decisions. I am not not looking for a working dog prospect with high drives or a show dog. The dog will not be bred or titled. I am really just looking for a healthy family dog that will be great with kids. I don't want the dog to have a ton of energy and want a clear on/off switch. I am also looking for something in the $1000 range. I found this breeder to be a great fit, as he is only about 15 minutes from my home and he has a puppy from the current litter (link below) that he is selling for $1000. He is selling it cheaper because the puppy is so small. It's the puppy with the aqua collar, and it's definitely smaller, but he said that it should top out at about 75 pounds. He also isn't going to offer the health guarantee. Any thoughts on the breeder, pedigree, or buying the smaller puppy?

Klaus x Della Litter - Jan 2014
GSDWVU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I didn't need to look any further after "No Health" guarantee. I would move on. His size does not affect anything, some puppies develop slower and he could even end up being the biggest in the litter. The fact that he will not be coming with a health guarantee instantly makes me run the other way.

Ps, you will not find a GS puppy without high energy They will all need plenty of exercise every day regardless of pedigree.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The reasons you listed (price, proximity and timing) are not things that make a breeder a great fit. The things that make a breeder a great fit are the dogs they produce, their goals for their breeding program, etc. You are looking for a lower-energy dog, I would start with finding breeders who produce the kind of dog you're looking for. GSD's are not a one-size-fits-all.

I would be VERY wary of the breeder not giving any sort of health guarantee. The fact that he charges up to $3500 from untitled parents is a little mind-bending. I can't comment on selling the small puppy (who the breeder still thinks is going to mature within the standard) for cheaper, but the whole thing smells very fishy to me. The fact that he takes deposits online is also off-putting. Any breeder I would want to deal with would want to get to know ME and if I would be a good fit first. I would pass.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I also really do not like how on their page, they really only mention "great pigment" as an accomplishment..... That also makes me cringe. Though some people are big on color, a good breeder advertises that last, since that's the least important in the development of the puppy. Since its the first and almost only thing advertised....red flag.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
The fact that he charges up to $3500 from untitled parents is a little mind-bending.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who scratched their head. What also baffled me is it isn't a strong titled line... there are several untitled dogs in both lines, and a couple 'fair' hips
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"mind bending" is an understatement!!!!! $3500 for pups of a "working" show cross???? neither parent with any credentials?

On the Sire: his mother is of very ???? pedigree first 3 generations then a working and show mix....very unfocused pedigree....looks to be just dogs thrown together randomly.....

Dam: all WGSL - probably all titled as the dam carries the same kennel name as dam and from a titled male....

But $3500????????????? I guess people are paying that for "designer" mutts too!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have spoke with the breeder a good bit through email and there are several reasons as to why I think it would be a good fit for me. I agree that the proximity should not be the first priority, but I do think that it will be nice to be close for help with training, which he offers. The timing of the puppy is not a concern for me either, as I'm prepared to wait if things don't go well when I visit next week. The price however, is a concern as I am not willing to pay over $1000. I do agree that the $3500 puppies seem to be way overpriced though. As far as the energy level goes, I am familiar with the amount of energy a german shepherd has, and I'm okay with that. I just prefer not to own one who has an endless amount of energy like some of the ones from working lines that I hear about. I would definitely like to have a health guarantee, but most of the ones I've seen for $1000 don't come with one. Choosing a breeder has a lot to do with a "gut feeling" and although everyone has made valid points, I still seem to be getting one from this breeder. I will know for sure next week when I visit the kennel. This "gut feeling" hasn't been easy for me to find, as I have made several calls and sent several emails to well respected breeders in the area and struggled to get responses from them.
GSDWVU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the pedigree is a bit of mash up.
$3,500 , come on , dogs that I have held back because they were pick , socialized, drives promoted, tracked, developed handler responsiveness, and prevented problems , prelimed and guaranteed to certify / graduate service dogs are that and less !
that price tag is huge . for what ?

Maybe the breeders you contacted are so busy doing the day to day - and need to prioritize -- $1,000 and under ? - place a phone call , much quicker than answering emails - get an immediate response.

The breeder is offering the pup for $1,000 . They must have reservations -- no health guarantees. I wouldn't sell a dog till I was 110% sure that the dog is healthy . Until then they are my responsibility and I will deal with whatever comes -- and if they turn out good , they are available to a great home .

Sometimes there is small and then there is failure to thrive .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

I know it really isn't what you wanted to hear, but they really do have a lot of the red flags of bad breeding programs. Hopefully a visit will help you better.

Because a few in the lines had 'fair' hips, I would require a genetic health agreement. In my opinion, 'fair' shouldn't even be bred. I understand that even 'excellent' can throw bad hips, but 'fair' is just flirting with disaster.

Maybe just keep in mind what we are mentioning and bring it up on your visit?

Where are you located? Perhaps we can aid you in your search?

My 7 month old male came from highly titled Czech Military K-9, with every dog in his line being titled / great hips, etc. His mother wasn't titled, but her entire past line was and she had all her health credentials in order. I received an extensive health guarantee that not only covered all the common GSD problems like hips but even small things like a retained testicle, ears not going up, etc etc. He was $1200. Moral of the story, you just gotta search longggg and hard! (I think I got a deal! Prolly because mother wasn't titled). It isn't easy, I think for three weeks I saw nothing but $2000-$3000 dogs but I eventually found my match!

Regardless, good luck! If it doesn't work out, there are so many knowledgeable people on this site who can put you in the right direction for breeders around you.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
I would be VERY wary of the breeder not giving any sort of health guarantee. The fact that he charges up to $3500 from untitled parents is a little mind-bending.
I seriously cannot believe that this person is charging $3,500 for puppies from untitled parents.

A well bred working line GSD with titles and health guarantees will cost you anywhere between $1,200-$2,500 and a well bred showline GSD with titles and health guarantees will cost you anywhere between $1,500-$3,500

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.