Century Farms - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Century Farms

I am very interested in getting a pup from this breeder. Anyone have a dog from them/ have anything to say about them? Seem pretty good to me -- but then again i'm a newbie to this.

*Century Farms, LLC - Century Shepherds
alexxromeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't really care for Century Farms, I've never dealt with them personally but they don't title their dogs, they breed long coated GSDs and they charge different prices for different colors.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

What exactly does title mean? I understand the registration thing.. Is that different?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxromeo View Post
What exactly does title mean? I understand the registration thing.. Is that different?
Working titles like BH, IPO, SchH or titles in the show ring or titles in agility, obedience, rally, etc. It looks like their dogs are just pets which is fine for a pet owner but I personally don't like that in a breeder. I want my breeder to do some kind of sport or show their dogs.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ohhhh okay that makes sense.. And about the long coat, is it a bad thing or preference? Or is it like a deviance from the standard?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I quickly looked at their website and I found it interesting....looks like they put a premium on hips, health and temperament....along with a variety of different types....

Since I am a fan of coats, I would guess you could count on getting a coat if that's what you wanted.

Who cares if the dogs have not been "titled" via the AKC....if you are looking for a dog which primarily is a companion dog. Otherwise, if you have heart set on titling the dog in one of many titles available, it might be a consideration but by no means a deal breaker. Sire and Dam need not be finished or titled in order for you to pursue getting a pup titled.....it's all in what YOU want.....

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh I forgot....at least one of their bitches is titled so the other poster was in error....

Renee is a beautiful bi-colored female born on July 8, 2007 and earned her first titles at the 2008 Mid Missouri Sieger show in Columbia, MO. She earned her International and National Championship Titles with a SG-1 rating.

Super G
Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I just want a companion who will be healthy and trainable. I'm not looking to show or breed. And I think that the male "Zak" has a really cool coat, but I know that sometimes rarities in appearance carry health concerns. Is this not true with variance in coat?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I quickly looked at their website and I found it interesting....looks like they put a premium on hips, health and temperament....along with a variety of different types....

Since I am a fan of coats, I would guess you could count on getting a coat if that's what you wanted.

Who cares if the dogs have not been "titled" via the AKC....if you are looking for a dog which primarily is a companion dog. Otherwise, if you have heart set on titling the dog in one of many titles available, it might be a consideration but by no means a deal breaker. Sire and Dam need not be finished or titled in order for you to pursue getting a pup titled.....it's all in what YOU want.....

SuperG
>>"It's all in what YOU want"

No, if the dog doesn't have the genetics, nerve, or thresholds to do it, then it cannot be titled...at least not ethically.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
>>"It's all in what YOU want"

No, if the dog doesn't have the genetics, nerve, or thresholds to do it, then it cannot be titled...at least not ethically.

The operative word is "if" and that "if" exists with pups coming from titled sires and dams all the same. Yes, if I were completely getting a pup for title purposes, of course I would want the sire and dam to have a laundry list of titles with the highest ratings BUT this still does NOT stop a pup from an untitled breeding to earn it's agility etc. titles if the owner chooses.....I do not understand your "ethically" comment....as there are probably multitudes of non-ethical practices in the world of line breeding "show dogs"...taking risks trying to get the best qualities of a breed except they are too closely related.....per the AKC...which I'm not a big fan of anyway.. but they at least do understand this fact ..."Line breeding, mating involving relatives other than parents and siblings, on similar pedigree (dog or dogs) not only gives you the best but can also give you the worst."

The old saying is true....when line breeding works, they call it line breeding when it doesn't work they call it incest......too many times the later is true..health issues and other flaws are overlooked too many times in order to produce a pup or two with the superficial qualities desired...but as long as the sire and dam are titled...then I guess it is "ethical" ???

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.