Century Farms - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxromeo View Post
Yeah, I just want a companion who will be healthy and trainable. I'm not looking to show or breed. And I think that the male "Zak" has a really cool coat, but I know that sometimes rarities in appearance carry health concerns. Is this not true with variance in coat?

I believe in certain breeds such as rough coat collies and aussie shepherds that variances in coat colors can carry some negative characteristics ( real health issues ) if certain coat colors are bred together such as a dual merle breeding.

I am not certain if the same exists with GSDs as I have never taken the time to look into it...excellent question on your behalf..perhaps someone in this forum knows the answer to your question.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxromeo View Post
I am very interested in getting a pup from this breeder. Anyone have a dog from them/ have anything to say about them?
Why? What attracts you to this breeder?

I have no firsthand familiarity with their dogs, and their site keeps making my browser crash so I haven't been able to get a good look at what's posted there, but the couple of pages that I did see were sufficient to convince me that personally, I'd pass.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I do not know this breeder so this is not about them.

Please explain to me how a breeder that does NOTHING with their dogs, other than being nice pets, knows enough about nerve and temperament in their dogs? How do they test these things? I have always wondered about that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
this still does NOT stop a pup from an untitled breeding to earn it's agility etc. titles if the owner chooses
It is true that having untitled parents, in and of itself, won't prevent a puppy from growing up to have a decent sport career.

It is also true that if the breeder is not intensively training and trialing their dogs (which is what a performance title is ultimately supposed to prove -- it's just shorthand for, and external proof of, that whole process), they've got no way of actually knowing for sure whether the dogs they're breeding, and the puppies they're producing, are likely to succeed in that or any other venue.

There is an entire universe of difference in quality between a well-bred dog and a poorly bred one. The training and trialing process shows it. Without that, you have no proof of anything. That's the only reason titles matter.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Then we agree that a pup from an untitled breeding can obtain titles....that was my main point.

SuperG
Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciel View Post
Why? What attracts you to this breeder?

I have no firsthand familiarity with their dogs, and their site keeps making my browser crash so I haven't been able to get a good look at what's posted there, but the couple of pages that I did see were sufficient to convince me that personally, I'd pass.
I guess the things that attracted me to this breeder are first the less important things of geographic proximity to me, for easy pick up and time to pick up the pup.. I will be able to get it in may and the earlier the better so it was perfect.

Also price and availability.. I want a female and they have one for $1500.. Which in all actuality is the high end of what I want to spend but still doable.

Lastly is that I truthfully do like the coat on the male but if long coats carry some sort genetic ailments I wouldn't be as drawn to them...

Question: so If it is limited registration only will I still be able to title in say agility if I wanted to? Not saying that I do but curious nonetheless.
alexxromeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Limited Registration means that the dog is registered but no litters produced by that dog are eligible for registration.

So go for it.....get all the titles you can of these////Obedience, Tracking, Field Trials, Hunting Tests, Herding, Lure Coursing, Agility and Earthdog.

SuperG

Last edited by SuperG; 02-11-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

For $1500 you can get dogs from much more accomplished breedings than these. In my opinion that price is way inflated for what I'm seeing here.

Long-coated GSDs do not, to my knowledge, carry genetic ailments. That said, a breeder who is specifically aiming to produce long coats may be sacrificing other things in order to focus on that particular trait, so I would be a little more cautious in evaluating such a breeder.

Yes, you can compete and title in performance events (such as agility) with limited registration. The only event you'd be restricted from is conformation showing, which would be a complete waste of time and money with these dogs anyway.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Linebreeding ? pretty heavy -- let's look at one dog "Simon"

His sire Baron Sterntal -- Baron Vom Sterntal

Baron's sire and dam are son and daughter of Rebel.

Kesse dam line has Ute - sister to Uland . Rebel is progeny of Uland.

Fina Baron's mothers mother is Ute , sister to Uland, sire of Rebel.

so just this portion of the pedigree is inbred U litter Sterntal.

Simon's mother Bobbie -sire line Hero II same - identical to Baron (Urass x Whilemina) . Bobbie dam line , repeating Urass again (Rebel x Kess both having U litter Sterntal) and again (through Jerry Lee) another Ute .
MORE (whilemina) Rebel which is Uland , U litter , Fina again which is Ute , so U litter again.

Pretty intense linebreeding , inbreeding on U litter Sterntal

woow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh wow, I didn't even get that far because my browser crashed.

That is... a really inbred pedigree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.