Find a breeder not just based on bloodlines but character of the breeder as well. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Find a breeder not just based on bloodlines but character of the breeder as well.

Hi everyone, I would like to post about an experience I had with a breeder and help people in their search for a truly good breeder, not just ones that put out good dogs but one that is a good person. Around August of last year, I was in search for a puppy, I finally decided on a breeder about a 6 hour drive from my home. At first she was really nice, but I noticed she put down a lot of other breeders, that should have been sign number 1 for me. We made the trip after the puppies were two weeks old, I wanted a male and out of a litter of 4 there was only 1 male born so it was a given that he would be mine. I fell in love with "my pup", prior to us making the trip there was constant communication. After I gave her the $500 deposit, there was almost no communication. I asked for pictures to see how he was coming along but was met with excuses. The breeder finally called me a week before we were to pick up our puppy and told me she could meet me half way, we were thrilled and couldn't wait. The very next morning she called and said the puppies had parvo and I would have to wait a week before delivery. A week? she told me to get my other dogs vaccinated and all would be well if the pup lived. Wow, I was paying $2000 for a puppy with parvo that might not live? I contacted my vet who advised me not to get the puppy because although some dogs with parvo come out of it fine, there are equally the same amount that have future problems. We decided against getting him and asked her for the deposit back, she blocked me from facebook and email. We got a different puppy from a different breeder and couldn't be happier and can't help but think everything happened for a reason. This breeder was supposed to be a good breeder, she ships her dogs off to Germany for their sv titles. I don't doubt that she puts out good dogs but she is not a good person. When I asked her for the deposit back she said fine, as soon as he sells I'll return your deposit. 3 months later we finally got it back. At least she did that. We were nice, calm and understanding of her situation but was floored later to find out that after the pups illness the price for him didn't decrease but increased to $2200. Did she ever tell the new owners that he had parvo? I don't know, we can only hope so. My point in this message is don't just search for bloodlines of the puppies but also the character of the breeder. Hope this helps somebody out there looking for a good breeder with good character as well.
Silverhorse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you made the right decision. You thought with your brain instead of your wallet which was probably the smart thing to do here. Live and learn. Good luck with your new pup.
Lucy Dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I could not agree more with your statement. Buying from a good breeder that you trust and that will be there for support later is important.
robk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

I'm not positive of the reason for this post, but I will say that there's no proof the dogs were ever sick, they may have done the "bait and switch" on you and raised the price. Your vet was correct in his or her suggestion and you got you money back.

My problem with breeder's is not all breeder's match the animal to the owner's capabilities. The screening process goes out the window in lieu of cash. When I wanted a pup, I was delivered an animal the breeder felt and had great confidence that I would be able to handle the dog and it would not be given up or re-homed as it seems to be called now. Recently, a breeder guy said to me, "send me $500 to hold the dog ASAP, no pictures, no purchase agreement, pay $1500 upon delivery and see ya..

Sorry, that is not a good business practice and I let him know, it was not the way I would do business.
sehrgutcsg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post
I'm not positive of the reason for this post, but I will say that there's no proof the dogs were ever sick, they may have done the "bait and switch" on you and raised the price. Your vet was correct in his or her suggestion and you got you money back.
A breeder willing to do a bait and switch type lie over $200 measly dollars probably doesn't have their priorities straight to begin with.
Lucy Dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post

My problem with breeder's is not all breeder's match the animal to the owner's capabilities. The screening process goes out the window in lieu of cash. When I wanted a pup, I was delivered an animal the breeder felt and had great confidence that I would be able to handle the dog and it would not be given up or re-homed as it seems to be called now. Recently, a breeder guy said to me, "send me $500 to hold the dog ASAP, no pictures, no purchase agreement, pay $1500 upon delivery and see ya..

Sorry, that is not a good business practice and I let him know, it was not the way I would do business.

Did I mention I'm not a first time GSD owner? lol, I've had 5 in my life and all have been wonderful. Why in the world would she tell me they had parvo the day before delivery? I'm sorry but you're statement doesn't make sense and as for proof, would her vet lie as well to make sure I wouldn't get the dog? And even if she did lie about the parvo, why would she keep the dog for 3 months making him 5 mo old after finally selling him? lol
Old 02-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
A breeder willing to do a bait and switch type lie over $200 measly dollars probably doesn't have their priorities straight to begin with.

I agree Lucy Dog, It wasn't a bait and switch, this breeder actually had the gall to tell me "At least I told you he had parvo, a lot of breeders wouldn't do that". Besides how I know that the price went up to $2200 was because I had a friend contact her to see if the male was still available 2 months later and she said he was and stated that price to her.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

???? Is there ever an opportunity to do right?
You got your full money back . Correct?
The person did hold on to the dog for an extra 3 months . That is the breeders, time, socialization, feeding , cleaning, shots , start training. Let's not forget treatment for the parvo. The dog is no longer the same dog .

Parvo -- sneaky stuff. I remember one litter , many years ago , that had been vaccinated against parvo , as all my dogs are . This was in the early days though when the vaccine wasn't totally perfected -- 8 to 9 days later , a pup that had already left and been in his new home came down with worrisome symptoms. Told them to go to a vet asap . Later in the day the contacted me and told me parvo was confirmed. I held on to the balance of the litter still with me and predictably they showed the same symptoms a day or two later. I did the same thing. People that were to pick up their dogs that weekend were contacted -- (I don't take deposits) . They were free to go anywhere else , or to receive their pup when we had gone through the process , healing.
Dogs that are taken care of don't have future problems . Breeders that went through parvo when it first emerged probably had more than one close and personal challenge with it .
Many breeders send dogs to Germany to title and koer in Schutzhund and in conformation .

I don't really see any wrong doing .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Many breeders that keep a pup for a while (even if it's an unsold one from a litter) will end up selling it for more because they put a LOT more into the pup. A lot take them to classes, work on their obedience and basically give them a good solid foundation for later training. That's a heck of a deal really for only $200 more from those types of breeders as I would spend that much myself or more on the classes it has already taken.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't get it . The person got the full refund of the deposit . Not every kennel does this , and is even stated on the contract -- no deposit refunds. I assume the person had the option to collect the pup after the treatment for parvo . Their vet put them off siting future problems.
She even warned you to make sure your dogs parvo vaccinations were active , preventing a greater problem .
You were not "Wow, I was paying $2000 for a puppy with parvo that might not live?" You weren't paying anything on the balance until you were delivered one healthy dog .
What more can the person do ? Once the deposit refund was given within the agreed time frame , the OP , sorry Silverhorse, has no obligations nor expectations -- you are finished , both parties being free agents to do as they need to do.
Maybe the dog matured into an even better specimen than expected?
So what . If the breeder wants to capitalize on this they can.
Maybe you benefited by finding a nicer pup at a lessor price .
"floored later to find out that after the pups illness the price for him didn't decrease but increased to $2200. " that though is none of your business . You walked away , you satisfied yourself with another dog , you got your money back . Get on with it , love and train the dog you have .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.