Pedigree Opinion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pedigree Opinion

Hi Everyone,

Can the pedigree experts offer their opinions on my pup's pedigree. Do you think that he'd be a good sporting dog? He will be my first IPO dog (when he's old enough) and I'm really excited : )

Sire: Halk vom Grafental

Halk Vom Grafental

Dam: Dery Gaja-Nova

Dery Gaja-Nova

Thanks for your help!
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Good sporting dog? Probably not. A dog that you can do IPO, maybe. I find the mother more encouraging in that aspect than the father. Will this be an easy dog to work for a first time handler, IMO, no.

The sire and dam are not titled (at least on the website) which doesn't make me feel encouraged (no, titles are not everything, but they do tell us potential). Does the breeder have any IPO experience? Do they have a lot of pups out there working and titling?
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your feedback : ) I plan on doing IPO with him.

There are a few pups out there that are doing things, Its a fairly new breeder, who I have heard good things about. They do work their dogs, but as far as titles, not all of them are. One is in training for an IPO I. This particular dog, came from a non working home. They've had him for several months. Originally, I was planning on just an active family member, but with updates from her previous pups competing in different venues, I thought it wuold be something fun: )

What about this dog in your opinion would make him difficult for a first time handler? Just so I know what to possibly expect!

Thanks so much : )
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lacking the drives that make it easy to work with the dog in both obedience and protection. You have two parents that have done nothing. The sire's mother and her sire and dam have done only the minimum they had to for breeding. That is not encouraging to me for good working ability. If the breeder was extremely experienced I might overlook that, but the breeder isn't. Training a dog like this is not fun for the novice. Heck, they aren't fun for experienced people. Obviously this is JMO.

The mother at least comes from a lot of dogs that have been heavily worked/titled. Yes, a lot of the females only have a ZVV1, but that is their breeding title and is based more on the raw dog.

Cliff would be able to tell you more. I know some of the Czech lines, but not enough to help in that respect. I know a bit more about the DDR lines (dad) from experience.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

@Kavallerie.Shepherds

Umm wow your profile pic puppy has a serious case of way to cute for his or her own good!!
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have owned GSD since 1985, working dogs since 1983, SchH/IPO since 1992 and in that time I have handled and/or titled a LOT of dogs from a lot of different lines. As I said, JMO looking at a pedigree and based on my experience.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did you breed Hank? The b&t with Lisa?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Cool. I have met him a few times when I take my Paisley to Lisa for training. He is a handsome boy.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

The poster was asking for opinions on the pedigree (the paper), and that is what they got. You should reach out to your potential buyer and attempt to answer their questions one on one.

Mocha is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank everyone! I agree with Jillian, the Kavallerie Shepherds breeder. I have complete faith in her dogs and their ability...which is why I chose her in the first place. I spent many months researching and then waiting patiently (as I could) for my pup. I love the upport she has for her clients, how she provides you with anything you need to know in reference to the dogs, their abilities, the progeny, all the health tests, not to mention ALL the questions I have asked her over the past year : )

My first priority is for my pup to be a family member. To bond more with him, after seeing all the other venues her puppy owners have taken with their puppies....I wanted to try IPO, since its in their pedigree. Something fun. I found a great club I completely satisfied with, thanks to Jillian. She provided me with potential questions, concerns, rules and things to take note on (which helped tremdously) when going to meet them. An inexperienced person of the sport I don't think could do that...JMO.

I am a novice to IPO titles, which is the ONLY reason I asked for opinions. I am on here often, just trying to learn like everyone else about these dogs we all love. I want to read and learn as much as I can before my pup gets here, so we can exceed in IPO. That in no way is a knock on Jillian's ability as a breeder or trainer.

misslesleedavis1 - I agree with you, one good looking puppy!

Thanks again everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.