German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Germelhaus Kennels - Texas Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/406898-germelhaus-kennels-texas-breeder.html)

whitebassfisher 02-05-2014 11:08 AM

Germelhaus Kennels - Texas Breeder

I just wanted to take a few minutes to give a review, so to speak, about my experience. I have already paid my money and have my puppy, so there is no gain or loss to me in any way for this.

I have heard for many years that choosing a good breeder is important to get any breed of dog. When I made my decision for a GSD, I decided to follow that advice. I really researched! I may not know anything to speak of about GSD's, but I know how to use the net to search fairly well. Some breeders that had a fairly big name also had some poor reviews or other bad info on the net. As my search narrowed, I became more interested in Germelhaus Kennels in Princeton, TX. MelloDee Middleton has been in the business of raising GSD's for 30+ years. I found a lot of praise for her, but what surprised me was that I found nothing negative about her or her dogs. How do you run a business 30+ years and not make people mad or put out any inferior products or services? Long story short, I paid a deposit on a pup and then began 5 weeks of almost daily communication with MelloDee. She kept me informed in writing, pics and videos of the litter. I became very happy with my choice of breeders.

When I went to pick up my pup after she was 8 weeks old, I was thoroughly impressed. She spent a good 3 hours with me going over things she felt I needed to know. She not only provided all the paper work expected, but so much more! I really have no reason to make the 260 mile trip again, but I sincerely recommend Germelhaus as a serious consideration for anyone looking for a GSD. I am convinced that MelloDee runs Germelhaus just because of her love for quality, working GSD's.

doggiedad 02-05-2014 11:17 AM

i'm glad you had a great experience. what are your plans
for your pup?

whitebassfisher 02-05-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4969010)
i'm glad you had a great experience. what are your plans for your pup?

To start, just basic obedience, then hopefully the AKC CGC. I would also like for her to earn the BH title. Then maybe some agility or nose work, I don't really know. I admit I wanted a companion and obedient pet that I could be proud of, and may never work her to to the level she was bred for. But, I don't rule anything out at this point.

doggiedad 02-05-2014 11:41 AM

having a well trained, highly socialized dog is great. i have
what i call pet/companion/go every dog. GSD's look great,
they're versatile and highly trainable. you can train your
dog to do whatever you want. you have the dog for it.
good luck.

MaggieRoseLee 02-05-2014 11:52 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience! Great to get the puppy we all dream we will get :)

doggiedad 02-05-2014 12:02 PM

some maybe dreaming, a lot have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee (Post 4969218)
Thanks for sharing your experience! Great to get the puppy we all dream we will get :)

Kayos and Havoc 02-05-2014 04:31 PM

Thanks for sharing that! It is always nice to hear about the good breeders out there.

I bet you end up doing a fun sport with your pup. :)

Stosh 02-05-2014 08:18 PM

A guy in our obedience club (in Tyler, TX) has a dog from there too and she's great. He's had nothing but good things to say about them too. You might look into herding- there are some great trainers in the Hempstead/Brenham area. I drive 3 hrs to do that every once in a while. Two big AKC herding trials put on by HAHA (Houston Area Herding Association) held at Roux Crew Farm in Hempstead.

DobbyDad 02-05-2014 08:24 PM

How old is the puppy now? Do you have photos?

onyx'girl 02-05-2014 08:30 PM

I'm fb friends with MelloDee and have never seen any drama or other negative stuff you normally may see from people posting on fb!
I know fb isn't the true window of character, but more often than not, kinks in the armour will show up if someone has a lack of integrity, etc.
Best wishes on your journey with your pup!