Newbie Looking for Input on Breeders in Northeast - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie Looking for Input on Breeders in Northeast

Although I've done a lot of reading on this forum, this is my first time posting. My husband and I live in central NJ and looking for the right GSD breeder for us. We both grew up with the breed and love them. Sadly, some of the dogs we owned as kids and early on together suffered from health problems, especially DM, so we are trying to do all the right research now to find a healthy dog with the right temperament.

We are open to considering both working lines and show lines, but ultimately we are seeking a dog to be an active family companion. We don't plan to show, breed, or do Schutzhund and actually would like to avoid a dog with super drives as we have two cats and plan to have children. We ultimately want a healthy, sound Shepherd with a confident, relaxed temperament. We are open to any coat color. We would also like to try to keep the price of our dog to $2,000 since it will be a companion.

These are the breeders I've narrowed my list to so far. Some I've visited and others I haven't. Do any stand out in a good or bad way? Also, are there any others in our area that you would recommend? Thanks!!

-Eichenluft: German Shepherd Breeder PA - Eichenluft German Shepherd Dogs Home - German Shepherd Breeder VA - German Shepherd Breeder MD - German Shepherd Breeder OH - German Shepherd Breeder DC - German Shepherd Breeder NY - German Shepherd Breeder NJ (working lines with some show lines and show line x working line crosses)
-Von Wyndmoor: www.vonwyndmoor.com (working lines)
-Hollow Hills: http://hollowhillsgsd.com (German and American show lines)
Vom Ledgemere: German Shepherds, German Shepherd Breeder MA, German Shepherd Puppies MA, NH, CT, VT, NY, ME, NJ, German Shepherds Massachusetts - Home (German show lines) out of our area in MA, but I liked the fact that they DM test all dogs
Jagermeister Shepherds: German Shepherd Breeder in New Jersey. Puppies and trained German Shepherd Dogs for sale. (working lines)
NJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think you should be considering working lines at all with what you've told us. Had you not posted your price limits I would have said to get an adult. Maybe try adopting from a rescue. Better still, you should probably consider a different breed.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but it makes no sense that you would be looking at both show and working lines and then say you don't want a dog with super drives. Which one is it? You should really think about what you want and more importantly why you want it. You should also consider more carefully your family plans as a puppy won't be the dog you want for a couple of years.
nedved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She did not post anything that made me think they shouldn't get a German shepherd or a puppy-not all working lines are high drive
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedved View Post
I don't think you should be considering working lines at all with what you've told us. Had you not posted your price limits I would have said to get an adult. Maybe try adopting from a rescue. Better still, you should probably consider a different breed.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but it makes no sense that you would be looking at both show and working lines and then say you don't want a dog with super drives. Which one is it? You should really think about what you want and more importantly why you want it. You should also consider more carefully your family plans as a puppy won't be the dog you want for a couple of years.
The right puppy from working lines is perfectly fine for an active family. A good breeder that knows how to evaluate their litters and puppies won't put a dog with "super drives" in a pet home.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sent pm.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
The right puppy from working lines is perfectly fine for an active family. A good breeder that knows how to evaluate their litters and puppies won't put a dog with "super drives" in a pet home.
This is my opinion as well. Our breeder chose our pup for us and she really nailed it. So far he is perfect for us.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

I wouldn't go to Eichenluft. Personal experience. Also out of your price range anyway.

I haven't heard anything but good things about the rest

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vom Wyndmoor is good. Jim has been competing with his dogs for years. Very good guy and honest.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am pretty happy with my eichenluft dog
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Breeder in Vermont

I have been very pleased with Hoby. Easterngermanshepherds Vom Benza Haus.
Hoby was matched to me by the breeder and the match is right on.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.