German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Newbie Looking for Input on Breeders in Northeast (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/399257-newbie-looking-input-breeders-northeast.html)

NJGirl 01-20-2014 10:15 PM

Newbie Looking for Input on Breeders in Northeast

Although I've done a lot of reading on this forum, this is my first time posting. My husband and I live in central NJ and looking for the right GSD breeder for us. We both grew up with the breed and love them. Sadly, some of the dogs we owned as kids and early on together suffered from health problems, especially DM, so we are trying to do all the right research now to find a healthy dog with the right temperament.

We are open to considering both working lines and show lines, but ultimately we are seeking a dog to be an active family companion. We don't plan to show, breed, or do Schutzhund and actually would like to avoid a dog with super drives as we have two cats and plan to have children. We ultimately want a healthy, sound Shepherd with a confident, relaxed temperament. We are open to any coat color. We would also like to try to keep the price of our dog to $2,000 since it will be a companion.

These are the breeders I've narrowed my list to so far. Some I've visited and others I haven't. Do any stand out in a good or bad way? Also, are there any others in our area that you would recommend? Thanks!!

-Eichenluft: German Shepherd Breeder PA - Eichenluft German Shepherd Dogs Home - German Shepherd Breeder VA - German Shepherd Breeder MD - German Shepherd Breeder OH - German Shepherd Breeder DC - German Shepherd Breeder NY - German Shepherd Breeder NJ (working lines with some show lines and show line x working line crosses)
-Von Wyndmoor: www.vonwyndmoor.com (working lines)
-Hollow Hills: http://hollowhillsgsd.com (German and American show lines)
Vom Ledgemere: German Shepherds, German Shepherd Breeder MA, German Shepherd Puppies MA, NH, CT, VT, NY, ME, NJ, German Shepherds Massachusetts - Home (German show lines) out of our area in MA, but I liked the fact that they DM test all dogs
Jagermeister Shepherds: German Shepherd Breeder in New Jersey. Puppies and trained German Shepherd Dogs for sale. (working lines)

nedved 01-29-2014 03:20 PM

I don't think you should be considering working lines at all with what you've told us. Had you not posted your price limits I would have said to get an adult. Maybe try adopting from a rescue. Better still, you should probably consider a different breed.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but it makes no sense that you would be looking at both show and working lines and then say you don't want a dog with super drives. Which one is it? You should really think about what you want and more importantly why you want it. You should also consider more carefully your family plans as a puppy won't be the dog you want for a couple of years.

holland 01-29-2014 03:31 PM

She did not post anything that made me think they shouldn't get a German shepherd or a puppy-not all working lines are high drive

Lucy Dog 01-29-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nedved (Post 4927378)
I don't think you should be considering working lines at all with what you've told us. Had you not posted your price limits I would have said to get an adult. Maybe try adopting from a rescue. Better still, you should probably consider a different breed.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but it makes no sense that you would be looking at both show and working lines and then say you don't want a dog with super drives. Which one is it? You should really think about what you want and more importantly why you want it. You should also consider more carefully your family plans as a puppy won't be the dog you want for a couple of years.

The right puppy from working lines is perfectly fine for an active family. A good breeder that knows how to evaluate their litters and puppies won't put a dog with "super drives" in a pet home.

Merciel 01-29-2014 03:39 PM

Sent pm. :)

Sp00ks 01-29-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 4927538)
The right puppy from working lines is perfectly fine for an active family. A good breeder that knows how to evaluate their litters and puppies won't put a dog with "super drives" in a pet home.

This is my opinion as well. Our breeder chose our pup for us and she really nailed it. So far he is perfect for us.

Xeph 01-29-2014 08:46 PM

I wouldn't go to Eichenluft. Personal experience. Also out of your price range anyway.

I haven't heard anything but good things about the rest

gsdsar 01-29-2014 08:54 PM

Vom Wyndmoor is good. Jim has been competing with his dogs for years. Very good guy and honest.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

holland 01-29-2014 10:10 PM

I am pretty happy with my eichenluft dog

HOBY 01-29-2014 10:19 PM

Breeder in Vermont

I have been very pleased with Hoby. Easterngermanshepherds Vom Benza Haus.
Hoby was matched to me by the breeder and the match is right on.