German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Should I be concerned? (moved) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/399081-should-i-concerned-moved.html)

coulter 01-20-2014 03:13 PM

Should I be concerned? (moved)

So I put a deposit for "first pick" male from a litter from the same breeder where I got my current gsd sage at. I love this breeder I have a very good relationship with her. We always stay in touch and I take sage back from time to time to play with some pups.
Anyways so I put this deposit in and the pups were born on Christmas Day '13, she texted me told me they were born and said she was very sick and would give me pictures and more info on them when she was better. There were 4 males , 2 females.

So Saturday the 11th I made plans with her to go visit the pups. When I get there she informed me that 3 of the pups had died a couple of days after birth. She is not sure what happened but thinks they got too cold and died ( they are kept inside the house in a kiddie pool with heat blankets under it). She thinks because she was so sick and couldn't get out of bed that they got separated from the mom in the middle of the night and froze because she wasn't able to check on them regularly like she normally would if she wasn't sick( she was very upset by the loss). So she showed me two males and 1 female that were left.

Now I got a text from her saying that there was a mistake and one of the pups that they thought was a boy actually was a girl. How does this happen?! Maybe it's easy enough to confuse it at this age? So now there is only 1 male. So she said I can see if he suits me at week 7 and if not transfer my deposit to a future litter. So..... Should I be worried about those other pups dying? Or does That seem pretty legit/ common? ( I started another thread about the pedigree of the sire of this one male)

I just want to know what your opinions are on this. Like I said I really like this breeder she is more personable than others I have talked to.
Thanks for your input!

bibaxt 01-20-2014 03:53 PM

I think I would be concerned. It's not that easy to confuse sex in dogs and.... Anyone else ever seen a bitch push healthy pups away? Normally she nuzzles pups to her unless she seems them too unhealthy to care for.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Msmaria 01-20-2014 04:12 PM

I would be concerned too. Even I was able to tell boys from girls when my friends dog had puppies, and I'm pretty lost when it comes to breeding and such. There seems like there's other things going on. Most dogs can do a pretty good job of caring for their pups even without the help of a human. Did you get a chance to examine or look at the pups when you were there? How did they look?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she lying, but it does make you go hmmmm

marbury 01-20-2014 04:17 PM

Kittens can be difficult. Puppies are easy. IMO something is fishy, but it may not be the obvious. Perhaps she's been having someone else help with the pups since she's ill and hasn't actually been able to spend time with them? Could be an intersex pup, with some confusing anatomy. Could be that she sold your pup to someone else by accident or design and is trying to cover up.

But if she's spending any time with the dogs and this isn't her first litter I'd be scratching my head as to why she made such a mistake.

martemchik 01-20-2014 04:35 PM

Lol...no way someone that has had puppies before can confuse a male and a female pup. Especially at 5 or 6 weeks old. I mean, they're almost ready to go home. On top of that, puppies are bald in that area so nothing can get lost in the fur so to speak.

What are your plans for this dog? Any reason why he wouldn't fit you? If your first dog is solid from her, I don't see why just the single male is a problem.

Lilie 01-20-2014 04:48 PM

If you trusted your breeder beforehand, I don't see why you would question her now.

Her inability to properly sex the pups could be a direct result of what ever illness she has/had. As could the loss of the pups.

coulter 01-20-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmaria (Post 4870401)
I would be concerned too. Even I was able to tell boys from girls when my friends dog had puppies, and I'm pretty lost when it comes to breeding and such. There seems like there's other things going on. Most dogs can do a pretty good job of caring for their pups even without the help of a human. Did you get a chance to examine or look at the pups when you were there? How did they look?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she lying, but it does make you go hmmmm

All three pups looked good, except one had a little snort going on occasionally that she was going to get checked out.

coulter 01-20-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbury (Post 4870457)
Kittens can be difficult. Puppies are easy. IMO something is fishy, but it may not be the obvious. Perhaps she's been having someone else help with the pups since she's ill and hasn't actually been able to spend time with them? Could be an intersex pup, with some confusing anatomy. Could be that she sold your pup to someone else by accident or design and is trying to cover up.

But if she's spending any time with the dogs and this isn't her first litter I'd be scratching my head as to why she made such a mistake.

Well her husband recently quit his job and is helping her full time. So I'm sure he was helping out especially while she was sick. So I don't think she has spent a ton of time with these pups yet. So I also think he might be to blame on the confusion of sex. Or when those three died maybe there was a mix up if which died and they never double checked there sex until now.

I don't think there is any way she sold/got rid of my pup because they were only 2 weeks old when I saw them. There's no way she would give a pup away that young. I know that.

coulter 01-20-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 4870577)
Lol...no way someone that has had puppies before can confuse a male and a female pup. Especially at 5 or 6 weeks old. I mean, they're almost ready to go home. On top of that, puppies are bald in that area so nothing can get lost in the fur so to speak.

What are your plans for this dog? Any reason why he wouldn't fit you? If your first dog is solid from her, I don't see why just the single male is a problem.

Well these pups were only 2 weeks old when I saw them. And 3.5 weeks now.

Right, this dog is just a companion. I do a lot of outdoors stuff here in Colorado and I also take my current gsd to work with me very day so this male will be the same. I really don't have a problem choosing this one male as long as he is of decent size. My girl is small so I want a boy that's a little bigger

coulter 01-20-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 4870689)
If you trusted your breeder beforehand, I don't see why you would question her now.

Her inability to properly sex the pups could be a direct result of what ever illness she has/had. As could the loss of the pups.

How could her not properly identifying one pup directly result in what illness she had? And the loss of the pups? Please explain ?