Looking for a breeder in MD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a breeder in MD

Hi all,

I had a GSD as a kid and am looking for one at the moment. I'm looking for a black, long hair, GSD.

Looking for an active dog, since I run at least 3 times a week.

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated. I'm located in central MD.

Thanks

Dave
ICYBAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was able to locate one in my area , Johnson-Haus German Shepherd Breeder/Dog Trainer, Frederick Maryland

if there are reputable breeders, please send them my way

Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hi Dave,

Carolina from Johnson-Haus is a member on this board.

can you be more specific as to what you're looking for in terms of temperament? and does the breed HAVE to be in MD? Would you be willing and able to have a puppy/dog shipped? That would better help us help you.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
Hi Dave,

Carolina from Johnson-Haus is a member on this board.

can you be more specific as to what you're looking for in terms of temperament? and does the breed HAVE to be in MD? Would you be willing and able to have a puppy/dog shipped? That would better help us help you.
Hi KZoppa,

In terms of temperament, I am looking for a "medium", where the dog is friendly natured but will be protective of my family when the situation calls for it.

I do understand that training will also play a part in her temperament.

In regards to the breed in MD. I am willing to have the puppy shipped. The reason I choose to meet the puppy in person is because I believe in the notion that the animal chooses it's owner and vice versa. Some may find this notion to be silly, but i truly believe in it.

Thank you for your response!

Dave
Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think that Carolina and Dennis allow you to pick your puppies. They test them and match accordingly. And I don't think they have LC's either.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I don't think that Carolina and Dennis allow you to pick your puppies. They test them and match accordingly. And I don't think they have LC's either.
Jax, thanks for the info. I am ok with them matching the puppy to what we are looking for.

Dave
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

None of the reputable breeders we can recommend to you will allow you to choose your puppy. They are with the puppies from day one and get to know them and their personality. If you know what you want in terms of temperament and drives and are open with the breeder you choose, they'll match you with the puppy that best suits your needs and desires.

Carolina and Dennis are nice people with great dogs.

If you're not opposed to having a puppy shipped to you, there's several other breeders you can check out.

Weberhaus, Shraderhaus, Crooked Creek Ranch, Gildaf, etc. If color and coat are last on your list, as temperament should be first above all, any of the above would be suitable as would Huerta Hof.

Someone else want to chime in with others that I've missed?

They're all very nice knowledgeable people and great breeders. They know their dogs and work very hard at maintaining the lines they produce. If you're honest with them, they'll be honest with you.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
None of the reputable breeders we can recommend to you will allow you to choose your puppy. They are with the puppies from day one and get to know them and their personality. If you know what you want in terms of temperament and drives and are open with the breeder you choose, they'll match you with the puppy that best suits your needs and desires.

Carolina and Dennis are nice people with great dogs.

If you're not opposed to having a puppy shipped to you, there's several other breeders you can check out.

Weberhaus, Shraderhaus, Crooked Creek Ranch, Gildaf, etc. If color and coat are last on your list, as temperament should be first above all, any of the above would be suitable as would Huerta Hof.

Someone else want to chime in with others that I've missed?

They're all very nice knowledgeable people and great breeders. They know their dogs and work very hard at maintaining the lines they produce. If you're honest with them, they'll be honest with you.
KZoppa, you are absolutely right! I think being matched by the breeder will be wonderful, as you previously mentioned that they know the temperament of the puppies better than I do.

Thanks for the breeders recommendation. I will research and choose one that I'm comfortable with

Dave
Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Within driving distance of MD? I would look at Wolfstraum who has an upcoming breeding. No LC's but possibly black. Blackthorne in NC. Art Shaw at Zahnburg has a litter on the ground right now but I suspect those dogs are "more" than you are looking for in drives. Here is a list of breeders
https://www.facebook.com/notes/germa...99173850218448

Look in CT. Erich Grasso might be a possibility for you. I've met one of his dogs. Loved him

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You never know about long coats!!!! They pop up....!

Only have had a couple, G litter....Xito threw them, but I got none from Kyra, dam of Csabre, or Csabre with limited litters....Kira, daughter of Csabre, will be bred to a Falko Wolfsblick son (black) in the next few weeks...Kira is HGH titled, and Meghan Rabon will be whelping and raising this litter as she is co-owner...Ellex is said to produce very nice, stable, solid tempered dogs who should fit into any training/home scenerio...not overly hard but more biddable, not over the top in civil aggression...a good fit for a sport home or a companion home.

Lee

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.