Frustration Finding a WGSL Breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Frustration Finding a WGSL Breeder

I have been trying to get a WGSL (plush black and red) dog for over a year and a half. The problem is that breeders I have inquired with/engaged have turned out to be either flaky, uneducated, dishonest, unresponsive, or some combination thereof.

I have read the forums quite a bit prior to joining, and the consensus seems to be that is it 'easy' to find a good breeder, if you know what you are looking for. At least for me, in my neck of the woods I have found this not to be the case.

I am no authority regarding titles, etc., but do understand temperament and health issues of the breed. I am looking for a pet/companion that has the best chance at being as healthy as possible, that fits the criteria above. I DO NOT want an oversized dog... I think 'conforming' is the term used to describe what I'm after.

If anyone has any leads they could provide I would be so appreciative. I really think it's imperative to visit a kennel/dogs before deciding on a pup/litter, hence my wanting to buy in my area. I have now realized I will have to expand my search in order to get what I'm after, and am willing to go wherever. That said, I would still prefer to get a dog in the 'area' (surrounding states). I am located in eastern Nebraska.

Thanks for any help you may have to offer!
Arcminster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

finding a West German pup should be easy. you may have to look
outside of your area.

i bought my dog before he was born. i saw pictures of his parents
and i never visted the kennel. when you deal with a reputable
breeder i don't think you're going to have any problems.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should be able to find a nice showline dog from a good breeder if you travel a bit out of the area....Terry Gimple in Texas is a very reputable breeder as is Charlie Starr at Drache Feld in Kentucky....the most promising show prospects are kept back, dogs whose ear set might be a degree off, angulation not quite ideal, etc are placed in pet homes....I have known a half dozen Drache Feld dogs in companion homes here locally, they have done therepy work and rally obedience...and been very good ambassadors for the breed.

There may be other showline kennels nearer you - but I don't know them personally or have not seen dogs from them....I generally only recommend kennels when I actually know the people or dogs.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

Doggiedad- would you mind me asking where you got your pup then? It seems you had total confidence in the breeder and everything worked out ok. Plus a beautiful dog if that's it in the picture!

Thanks also Wolfstraum. I have heard of Vom Volkkommen, but I have been made to understand they are more of a high drive type dog that they try to produce?

Any thoughts on this breeder in the link, just in terms of pedigree at least? I just talked to them and they seem pretty knowledgeable... hadn't inquired with them prior.

****************VON*** DER*** STEVENS** SHEPHERDS - Home

Thanks!!
Arcminster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Plush black and red shouldn't be that hard from German Showlines, though you may have to widen the area you are looking.

Just keep wandering around this forum. Many of us constantly post pictures of our dogs and when you see ones you like you can start PM'ing to contact where they got their dogs. There are also quite a few breeders (just click on websites that are part of their signature lines) and you can contact them for guidance/hints/suggestions too.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.