GSD Hunting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD Hunting

Hey guys,

My family and I are looking to add a companion for our 15 month old GSD. We got him exactly one year ago. We certainly did not know what we were doing at the time but lucked out with a dog whose parents are DM negative and no problems with hips in the pedigree. His parents were West German imports and Schutzhund trained but we bought him strictly as a family pet. He has turned out to be just the greatest dog that we could imagine. He is great with people and just loves other dogs. Now we would like a companion for him (and for us) that will also be a family pet. We can spend up to about $1500 and have been looking at various sites. We're in Louisiana near New Orleans and actually found a site called Top Notch German Shepherds. They are a hobby breeder and we'll be going to look at their dogs this weekend as they have a litter due in 2 weeks. The mom is a czech import and these are more DDR type dogs. However, my current boy has a very high drive and NEVER gets tired so I think that a high energy working dog wouldn't be a problem. So far, all that I know is that the parents both have OFA good hips and elbows but have not been DM tested but no known history of DM. I'm going to talk to the breeder that we got Kodi from tomorrow about the whole situation to get his opinion as he's been very helpful and always available over the past year, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys as well. I'd be willing to have a dog shipped and would pay extra if that's what it took.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Coincidentally my breeder has a litter due in a few days that is very drivey and is a "proven combination" of dam and sire. I will PM you her info. No pressure just thought I might help out

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers
madis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

i wouldn't get another dog untill my 1st dog is well trained
and highly socialized. i wouldn't get a dog from a breeder
that only partially test their dogs. i also want to see titles.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice pedigree on the bitch from Top Notch in my novice opinion. No titles on her, but bloodlines I like. Her sire is a Tom grandson, and dam is a Tom granddaughter.

I really don't know much about this stuff though. Just getting my feet wet.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Madis,

Thanks for the info. Might nice of you. I'll check them out.

Doggiedad,

Appreciate the input. My boy has gone through a few obedience courses. He's really good at the house but can use more work when distracted. As for socialization, I don't think he could be any more socialized as he is around new people and dogs about 5 days a week and is great with both. And you're right, the fact that the dogs have not been tested for DM would likely be the deciding factor. Just want to do a lot of looking and research for our next pup as I realize now after hearing so many horror stories just how lucky we were to get Kodi with almost no prior knowledge other than my wife grew up with a GSD.
As for titles, I was not too worried about that because he's going to be a family pet (of a highly active family). But I can see where buying from a breeder with non-titled dogs could potentially but not necessarily promote breeding practices of less than stable dogs or perhaps dogs that don't fit the temperament standard even if they are proper in conformation. Our breeder may be doing a repeat breeding this spring and if so, we could get a sibling of Kodi which would be ideal (his parents are both kkl1). If not, any personal recs on breeders that might be right for us?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When a breeder with experience breeds an untitled dog, they have a REASON for doing the breeding, and a reason why the dog is not titled....and a REASON for the pairing. The untitled dog is likely to have been trained and the breeder should be knowledgeable about the dog and it's background and be able to tell you why that dog is being bred.

When someone with an untitled male, who has an untitled parent/grandparents, is buying females and just breeding...that is not responsible or knowledgable - PARTICULARLY in working lines.....in show lines, it is not as risky IMO, but in working lines, it is not "responsible breeding"....there are WAY WAY too many ways to combine two apparently decent tempered dogs and come up with nervy, fearful, aggressive progeny!

I see alot of "red flags". That does not mean every pup in the litter will grow up to be a dangerous dog - but it does mean the potential is there, and IMO pretty risky, to get a apparently cute happy puppy who turns out to be way way more than you bargined for! No matter HOW NICE THE PARENTS ARE!!!!!! And the parents are probably very happy, pleasant dogs and that is the selling point for their puppies.

I have done 3 breedings with Tom sons...including Gringo....I have seen quite a few Vito Waldwinkle dogs, own progeny, and progeny of those dogs. I have seen pups from those litters go on and be bred - both as line breedings on Tom and with other prepotent dogs in the males pedigree. I would NOT line breed on Tom like this...I don't see high drive, and happy to settle in the house after some playing ball...add to those genetics, I would NEVER add several of the lines behind the male to a dog linebred on Tom.....I probably would not even want a puppy from this litter for a sport dog even if the parents were titled...now - this is not going to be true for EVERY puppy in the litter...but at 8 weeks - even 8 months, you do NOT see the total mature character that the dog will end up with.

Find a breeder who understands the genetics behind their dogs....not a "hobby" breeder who just buys some dogs with decent pedigrees and breeds them for pets.

Get another WG Showline dog.....you will be much happier!

JMHO

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net

Last edited by wolfstraum; 01-01-2014 at 10:09 AM.
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
When a breeder with experience breeds an untitled dog, they have a REASON for doing the breeding, and a reason why the dog is not titled....and a REASON for the pairing. The untitled dog is likely to have been trained and the breeder should be knowledgeable about the dog and it's background and be able to tell you why that dog is being bred.

When someone with an untitled male, who has an untitled parent/grandparents, is buying females and just breeding...that is not responsible or knowledgable - PARTICULARLY in working lines.....in show lines, it is not as risky IMO, but in working lines, it is not "responsible breeding"....there are WAY WAY too many ways to combine two apparently decent tempered dogs and come up with nervy, fearful, aggressive progeny!

I see alot of "red flags". That does not mean every pup in the litter will grow up to be a dangerous dog - but it does mean the potential is there, and IMO pretty risky, to get a apparently cute happy puppy who turns out to be way way more than you bargined for! No matter HOW NICE THE PARENTS ARE!!!!!! And the parents are probably very happy, pleasant dogs and that is the selling point for their puppies.

I have done 3 breedings with Tom sons...including Gringo....I have seen quite a few Vito Waldwinkle dogs, own progeny, and progeny of those dogs. I have seen pups from those litters go on and be bred - both as line breedings on Tom and with other prepotent dogs in the males pedigree. I would NOT line breed on Tom like this...I don't see high drive, and happy to settle in the house after some playing ball...add to those genetics, I would NEVER add several of the lines behind the male to a dog linebred on Tom.....I probably would not even want a puppy from this litter for a sport dog even if the parents were titled...now - this is not going to be true for EVERY puppy in the litter...but at 8 weeks - even 8 months, you do NOT see the total mature character that the dog will end up with.

Find a breeder who understands the genetics behind their dogs....not a "hobby" breeder who just buys some dogs with decent pedigrees and breeds them for pets.

Get another WG Showline dog.....you will be much happier!

JMHO

Lee
Thanks for that explanation Lee!

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey David Winners,

Thanks for the reply. All input is appreciated as I'm also new to German Shepherds as of last year though I have been a dog owner throughout most of my life. We had our last 2 dogs for over 15 years so we have just been used to having 2 dogs. I know Kodi is probably fine with a companion or not but "his" companion will probably be fitting our needs more than his.
I'll look through the pedigrees more closely. I'm not really familiar with a lot of bloodlines so other than titles and ratings, not really sure what I'm looking at other than "hey, that dog looks cool." I suppose I might be able to find out if the grandparents were tested as if they are all dd then I wouldn't have to lose a lot of sleep about it. However, I would feel much more comfortable if the individual dogs being bred were tested. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why don't you go back to Kodi's breeder? He seems to be a great dog!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Onyx's Girl,

Yes, if he does a repeat breeding with Kodi's parents then that will be our first choice. However, he owns the female and anther breeder owns the male so not sure if he will be going that route. Just depends on what he wants to do with his lines.

Wolfstraum,

Very thoughtful reply of yours and much appreciated. And yeah, from what I've read, I think I'm probably more of a WGSL person though I've been around several DDR dogs over the past year that got along quite well with Kodi and my son and were a pleasure to be around. Anyway, their owners said that they were DDR and they looked it but I'm novice enough to be duped if they were just ignorant but more informed than myself.
Do you think that $1500 is reasonable for what I'm looking to get? Also, if I go with any other WGSL breeder, please PM me any breeders you would steer clear of if not too much trouble. And thanks again for a very informative reply.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.