German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Thoughts on these breeders (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/388362-thoughts-these-breeders.html)

Schaferhunde 12-29-2013 10:47 PM

Thoughts on these breeders

***Note, I don't plan on getting a GSD for at least three years, more likely four years.***

Blackthorn Kennel

Narnia Kennels

Packen 12-29-2013 11:14 PM

If you plan on training and competing then there are better options out there. If not, then either will do ok.

GatorDog 12-29-2013 11:24 PM

The breeder at Narnia kennels just won the New England 2013 IPO Regionals with her female with a very nice performance.

David Winners 12-29-2013 11:26 PM

I have been told by SAR handlers in Canada that Narnia breeds some great search dogs.

Schaferhunde 12-30-2013 12:02 AM

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far!

Packen I am looking to compete. I am interest in many venues Schutzhund, Herding, Weight Pulling,& IPO.

What breeders do you recommend? Feel free to PM with the recommendations if you want.

Xeph 12-30-2013 12:02 AM

I disagree with Packen on Blackthorn, considering what Christine has put out there, but that's my opinion. She's got dogs in service work, SAR, IPO, various AKC events, etc.

I have a Blackthorn dog that is my service dog in training and should be ready to work full time by late spring/early summer. His sister (from the repeat litter) belongs to my good friend and is her guide dog.

Packen 12-30-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaferhunde (Post 4741394)
Packen I am looking to compete. I am interest in many venues Schutzhund, Herding, Weight Pulling,& IPO.

What breeders do you recommend? Feel free to PM with the recommendations if you want.

The first step is to make a list of the major championships (Bundesseiger, WUSV etc), Next step is to list the winners for several years. Third step is to list the breeders of these dogs. Final step to make selection. Pretty black and white, performance does not lie :)

holland 12-30-2013 12:59 AM

Is the op planning to compete at the BSP-

Packen 12-30-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holland (Post 4741634)
Is the op planning to compete at the BSP-

Dunno, but getting the right dog improves ones chances of success even at club level. Get a dog bred for club level or below and get ready to play those odds, not worth it.

robk 12-30-2013 07:28 AM

You have plenty of time. There are lots of great breeders out there. Having said that, I one of my three came from a breeder who imported both parents from Robin Winters at Narnia. Robin uses a lot of Czech lines in her program and is very active in IPO. My Narnia daughter tracks like a fiend, and has a monster grip at only 7 months old. Her obedience however is almost non existent yet. There is also another forum member here who imported her dog from Narnia. Her username is Sunflowers. You could send her a pm about her experience. Christine at Blackthorn is a member here on the forum and there are several members with dogs that came from her. She has a very active facebook page. You could follow it for a while and see if you like her program.