NON GSD- Border Collie Breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default NON GSD- Border Collie Breeder

Hey. I am kind of on a thread rampage right now... I haven't been back in awhile and thoughts and ideas and questions have been spurring inside of me. Well, I don't know much about determining the quality of a breeder, and I am contemplating getting another puppy. Long story I would not care to get into, but IF I were to get another puppy/dog I would want one from a professional breeder. I am really just looking now, no specific breed or anything at the moment, but I stumbled upon a breeder's website a few weeks ago and always find myself going back to it. The name is Hob Nob Border collies. Site: hobnobbordercollies.com. The breeder is Jan DeMello, and she is in Rochester, WA. I originally found the website from looking up border collie breeders on Google and accidentally found it because I was looking for breeders in California, and it used to be in Riverside, CA. Well, anyway I read through the website and was extremely impressed by how many of these Hob Nob BC's are champions in a lot of AKC competitions such as: agility herding, and obedience; agility being the strong suit of these dogs. I was also stunned by the beauty of Miss DeMello's dogs, and how beautiful and calm the puppies produced were/are. Over those few weeks after I found the website all I did, I mean ALL I did was look at every video on the youtube channel, read every dog's bio, go on the blog, and Facebook, and I learned more and more about the breeder. Jan seems like she really loves her dogs, and what she does, and I am pretty ready to go to my parents, but I thought I should look up true reviews because the Testimonials page on the website is only going to be good reviews. I found a few negative ones, mostly loons complaining about the non-refundable deposit that is clearly stated on her website, but I stumbled over a few saying Hob Nob Border Collies are mostly bred for their looks and not their working abilities. Now I am not in a place to judge something like that. Yes, her dogs are gorgeous, but does that really mean their beauty empowers their ability to be the true working dogs they were bred to be. Now I am not sure how many people on this lovely German Shepherd forum know about BC's, but I am hoping anyone who does, or is experienced with breeders, and can determine the quality of Hob Nob Border collies will relay their knowledge to me. Sorry for my long rant of a thread!!! Appreciate any responses!

Noah
GSDLover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

How's this puppy doing?

Training New Puppy!
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

They're great sport dogs, I can say that much. I don't know much about herding, so if you are defining a working BC as a herding BC, then I can't speak to that.

But in obedience and agility, yeah, they're good. These are dogs that deserve top-notch handlers.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think you may find some better feedback, or at least more of it, if you search for Hob Nob on bordercollie.org
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
I think you may find some better feedback, or at least more of it, if you search for Hob Nob on bordercollie.org
Yes I know. I made an account, but I can not post until the admin approves me, and he/she has yet to. I joined late, so I expect a response in the morning.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover2000 View Post
Yes I know. I made an account, but I can not post until the admin approves me, and he/she has yet to. I joined late, so I expect a response in the morning.
I spent about 2 minutes on the site and knew what general type of breeder they are. I'm suggesting you read stuff that is already there. There are threads about them.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
I spent about 2 minutes on the site and knew what general type of breeder they are. I'm suggesting you read stuff that is already there. There are threads about them.

David Winners
bordercollies.org is where I read about them breeding just for beauty, not really working. I did as much research as possible, but thought I would turn to you guys.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't think Hob Nob is primarily breeding for "beauty," i.e., AKC conformation champions.

Looking on bordercollies.org confirmed what I already thought -- this is primarily a sport breeder. And a good sport breeder. If what you want (and are capable of handling) is a high-level obedience/agility competition dog, this might be a breeder to seriously consider.

If not, look elsewhere.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
How's this puppy doing?

Training New Puppy!
Great question! How about some updated pics too!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.