"What is a responsible breeder" TV show? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default "What is a responsible breeder" TV show?

I got to thinking, we get SO many people posting here asking the same question:

"What is a responsible breeder?" "How do you find a responsible breeder?" "What is a BYB?"

I know there are lots of websites that have good information on this, but how do you reach people that don't use the internet, or don't know how to sort through the hype? Or don't even know there's a difference? Or never even thought about it?

We should make a TV documentary on this subject. Sure it would be controversial, that's what makes good TV.

It seems like it should have been done already, but I can't recall seeing anything on TV that specifically relates to canine breeding practices. There's that "show dogs exposed" video that's been floating around the internet, and there's a fluffy "breed all about it" show on Animal Planet or something, but nothing with information about how to find an ethical breeder.

Of course, it's a slippery slope from there to breeder-based reality shows. [shudder]
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Even a youtube video might work.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Puppy Mills Exposed : Animal Planet on Vimeo

http://animal.discovery.com/video-to...uppy-mills.htm

Last edited by Sunflowers; 12-21-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm thinking TV, because there's a demographic that isn't computer-savvy, and with TV you have a captive audience, so to speak. There are a lot of people who have no idea that dog breeding is an ethical issue, people who never even thought about it. If such a show were advertised on TV, interest might be piqued. "What? You mean there's a difference between breeders? It never occurred to me that dog breeders might not always be on the up-and-up."

It seems like DUH to us, but you'd be surprised how ignorant the general non-dog populace is. Even the general dog-owning populace! You have no idea how many of my clients--often very nice, educated, successful people--have absolutely no clue where puppies come from (so to speak). Many of them have totally bizarre ideas about what a "responsible" breeder is, and there are a lot of misconceptions floating around.

I had one client who bought a puppy from a newspaper ad, an "oops" litter, because she thought that was more ethical than buying from a "breeder"--ANY breeder. There's a segment of the population who believes ALL breeders are bad, and so if you want a dog, you shouldn't support a breeder--you should rescue. Those people have a lot of misconceptions, too, and a TV show about responsible breeding could help correct those misconceptions.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would be more than happy to assist in this kind of thing, I think it is a great idea. Anything to spread information, educate people and help promote responsibility.

You could ask popular news stations, 20/20, fifth estate type things to play it. Etc etc, then it also goes online obviously, which is great.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There are tons of videos on puppy mills and rescues - no shortage, what is missing is HOW to find a responsible breeder, why it is important, what to look for, the difference between buying a puppy in the pet shop and going to someone who has dedicated a chunk of their life to your breed of choice.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
There are tons of videos on puppy mills and rescues - no shortage, what is missing is HOW to find a responsible breeder, why it is important, what to look for, the difference between buying a puppy in the pet shop and going to someone who has dedicated a chunk of their life to your breed of choice.
Exactly.

There are lots of anti-puppy mill videos, which I think are responsible in part for the whole "anti-breeder" mentality. Of course, everybody hates puppy mills, but no one seems to be pointing out the distinction between good and bad breeders, and why we NEED good breeders. There needs to be more information about those that are responsible, dedicated, ethical, and passionate about their breed, and how they make a positive contribution to society. Dogs do so much for us... from the humble little lapdog that gives an elderly shut-in a reason to live, to dogs that work for a living like herding dogs, guide dogs, service dogs, to dogs that serve their community like SAR dogs, police dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, and so on. If we didn't have good breeders, we wouldn't have these animals that are so useful to us, and eventually, we wouldn't have dogs at all.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

GERMAN SHEPPARD PUPPIES - Mississauga / Peel Region Dogs & Puppies For Sale - Kijiji Mississauga / Peel Region Canada.

This is one of the more pathetic ones ive seen.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is a video on the link I posted. It is labeled Finding Reputable Breeders.

Puppy Mills: Animal Planet
Old 12-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not sure where one would start making a TV documentary. Any SoCal members have contacts with the industry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.