German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   "What is a responsible breeder" TV show? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/384746-what-responsible-breeder-tv-show.html)

Freestep 12-21-2013 12:22 PM

"What is a responsible breeder" TV show?

I got to thinking, we get SO many people posting here asking the same question:

"What is a responsible breeder?" "How do you find a responsible breeder?" "What is a BYB?"

I know there are lots of websites that have good information on this, but how do you reach people that don't use the internet, or don't know how to sort through the hype? Or don't even know there's a difference? Or never even thought about it?

We should make a TV documentary on this subject. Sure it would be controversial, that's what makes good TV.

It seems like it should have been done already, but I can't recall seeing anything on TV that specifically relates to canine breeding practices. There's that "show dogs exposed" video that's been floating around the internet, and there's a fluffy "breed all about it" show on Animal Planet or something, but nothing with information about how to find an ethical breeder.

Of course, it's a slippery slope from there to breeder-based reality shows. [shudder]

dawnandjr 12-21-2013 01:17 PM

Even a youtube video might work.

Sunflowers 12-21-2013 01:20 PM

Puppy Mills Exposed : Animal Planet on Vimeo

http://animal.discovery.com/video-to...uppy-mills.htm

Freestep 12-21-2013 02:14 PM

I'm thinking TV, because there's a demographic that isn't computer-savvy, and with TV you have a captive audience, so to speak. There are a lot of people who have no idea that dog breeding is an ethical issue, people who never even thought about it. If such a show were advertised on TV, interest might be piqued. "What? You mean there's a difference between breeders? It never occurred to me that dog breeders might not always be on the up-and-up."

It seems like DUH to us, but you'd be surprised how ignorant the general non-dog populace is. Even the general dog-owning populace! You have no idea how many of my clients--often very nice, educated, successful people--have absolutely no clue where puppies come from (so to speak). Many of them have totally bizarre ideas about what a "responsible" breeder is, and there are a lot of misconceptions floating around.

I had one client who bought a puppy from a newspaper ad, an "oops" litter, because she thought that was more ethical than buying from a "breeder"--ANY breeder. There's a segment of the population who believes ALL breeders are bad, and so if you want a dog, you shouldn't support a breeder--you should rescue. Those people have a lot of misconceptions, too, and a TV show about responsible breeding could help correct those misconceptions.

Wild Wolf 12-21-2013 02:23 PM

I would be more than happy to assist in this kind of thing, I think it is a great idea. Anything to spread information, educate people and help promote responsibility.

You could ask popular news stations, 20/20, fifth estate type things to play it. Etc etc, then it also goes online obviously, which is great.

Wild Wolf 12-21-2013 02:24 PM

There are tons of videos on puppy mills and rescues - no shortage, what is missing is HOW to find a responsible breeder, why it is important, what to look for, the difference between buying a puppy in the pet shop and going to someone who has dedicated a chunk of their life to your breed of choice.

Freestep 12-21-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Wolf (Post 4707698)
There are tons of videos on puppy mills and rescues - no shortage, what is missing is HOW to find a responsible breeder, why it is important, what to look for, the difference between buying a puppy in the pet shop and going to someone who has dedicated a chunk of their life to your breed of choice.

Exactly.

There are lots of anti-puppy mill videos, which I think are responsible in part for the whole "anti-breeder" mentality. Of course, everybody hates puppy mills, but no one seems to be pointing out the distinction between good and bad breeders, and why we NEED good breeders. There needs to be more information about those that are responsible, dedicated, ethical, and passionate about their breed, and how they make a positive contribution to society. Dogs do so much for us... from the humble little lapdog that gives an elderly shut-in a reason to live, to dogs that work for a living like herding dogs, guide dogs, service dogs, to dogs that serve their community like SAR dogs, police dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, and so on. If we didn't have good breeders, we wouldn't have these animals that are so useful to us, and eventually, we wouldn't have dogs at all.

misslesleedavis1 12-21-2013 05:41 PM

GERMAN SHEPPARD PUPPIES - Mississauga / Peel Region Dogs & Puppies For Sale - Kijiji Mississauga / Peel Region Canada.

This is one of the more pathetic ones ive seen.

Sunflowers 12-21-2013 09:40 PM

There is a video on the link I posted. It is labeled Finding Reputable Breeders.

Puppy Mills: Animal Planet

Freestep 12-22-2013 11:56 AM

I'm not sure where one would start making a TV documentary. Any SoCal members have contacts with the industry?