West German Show Line puppies and info - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default West German Show Line puppies and info

Hi Everyone, I am planning to get a pup in Summer or Fall of '14. Does anyone have any suggestions for breeders of West German show line puppies? I live in southern NJ, but don't mind traveling to pick up a new puppy. I am interested in any insight from anyone familiar with the West German show lines, I love their dark red coloring and blocky heads with dark masks. Looking for best buddy and companion, will not be showing the dog, though we will do obedience, Good Citizen Cert. and novice tracking. I've seen some of the more famous breeders websites (Bannfy Haus, Gunbil) and they have some fine looking dogs, but would love to know about any breeders, especially if there are any in the NJ tri-state area for this line of GSD. Any info or questions for and about me will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
thewickk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum! You a vaguely in my 'neck of the woods'.

MOST important thing is doing what you are doing, researching WAY ahead of time. Many of the best breeders have waiting lists. And you want to make sure you know how to link up with these 'responsible' breeders!

Make sure you take the hours needed to go thru --> How to find a puppy!

Breeder Directory - German Shepherd Guide that link has some of the better breeders and is a good place to use as a reference on what good websites/breeders are putting out there.

Since the better breeders just want the best dogs with best owners, they will chat with you and also recommend other breeders that may have dogs more like you are considering, or are having a litter when you are considering getting a puppy. So don't hesitate to email and touch base with them.

And you may want to keep an eye out in the Rescue Forums, some wonderful dogs show up there, puppies too.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Neither of the breeders you mention are "famous" - infamous more likely!!!! One imports litters of pups from Germany - where those pups may be sold for E1000-1200 (US$ 1300-1400) and sells them at a HUGE markup - 200 - 300% or more!

There are some WGSL breeders more locally to you....and a few up in New England....Traum Hof - I think Karen Priestly is the breeder, is respected....von Airmont is in VA - a smaller breeder but nice people trying to breed good dogs...there are some bigger, well known breeders, but sometimes it is better to do business wiht the smaller more family oriented people....there are definitely ones closer to stay away from too!!

Good luck!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to you! I don't know any WGSL breeders out that way. I have 2 WGSL but one came from Oregon (when I lived there) and my others came from local breeders in Oklahoma.

I prefer them too.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I picked up my WGSL at our local airport, direct from Germany. So, you can always choose that option as well rather than deal with proximity as an issue.

I will say, it was a leap of faith to acquire our pup without ever visiting the pup and seeing the sire and dam, much less the breeder's operation. Granted there were pictures and pedigrees to exam which helped a bit but I still felt uncomfortable.

My rationale for going to the "source" was predicated on the basis that the Germans exhibited a stricter adherence to an overall criterion resulting in a better chance to have a healthy GSD with the proper structure and qualities a GSD should have. Unfortunately, our previous two American bred shepherds were plagued with health issues, so I searched elsewhere in an attempt to lessen the odds of another short lived companion. By no means am I suggesting that quality American bred shepherds do not exist because they do, I just had bad luck, I believe.

It would also be to your advantage that the WGSL is "pink papered" as this supposedly means the breeding is of a certain quality pedigree in health, performance and temperament.

I also was motivated by the fact that the Germans no longer consider a longstock GSD a fault whereas AKC guidelines do. I have always had longstock shepherds and find that their coats are much softer and actually they shed much less on a daily basis than standard coated shepherds. But when longstocks blow their coats....WOW !

Our gal weathered the long flight from Frankfort, Germany wonderfully, which of course I was concerned about but the company taking care of transport and importation requirements did a wonderful job.

The picture is of her at 10 months.....

Happy hunting to you in your pursuits of getting a wonderful if not the best of companions !!!

SuperG
Attached Thumbnails
West German Show Line puppies and info-p5150208.jpg  
SuperG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Wonderful advice, thanks SuperG for the insight of getting a puppy from Germany, that never crossed my mind, I will start to look into that. Thanks everyone.
thewickk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sent you a message
My5dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you can get the same quality WGSL companion quality puppy in the States....seriously - without contacts (more $$$ too) getting a pup imported is a lottery ticket....the weakest tempered in the litter are often sent to unknown buyers in the US....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
Neither of the breeders you mention are "famous" - infamous more likely!!!! One imports litters of pups from Germany - where those pups may be sold for E1000-1200 (US$ 1300-1400) and sells them at a HUGE markup - 200 - 300% or more!

There are some WGSL breeders more locally to you....and a few up in New England....Traum Hof - I think Karen Priestly is the breeder, is respected....von Airmont is in VA - a smaller breeder but nice people trying to breed good dogs...there are some bigger, well known breeders, but sometimes it is better to do business wiht the smaller more family oriented people....there are definitely ones closer to stay away from too!!

Good luck!

Lee
Hello Lee, talking about New England - do you have any comments on the Grafenstein in CT? Thank you.
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Alexq - other than a less than friendly to navigate website!!? PIA to look at and not much info...

but they seem to breed titled dogs, show and title some of their own...no clue on their ethics, business practices or quality of the dogs they breed

Lee

wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.