German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Northern California/Nevada breeder recommendations (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/381274-northern-california-nevada-breeder-recommendations.html)

Katy1985 12-14-2013 11:33 AM

Northern California/Nevada breeder recommendations

Hello, after loosing Greta 2 mos. ago, we are thinking of finding a breeder for another dog. I have had 3 GSD and 2 mutts. We are not going to show or work her. I would like to do obedience training and possibly therapy dog work maybe at the local VA hospital. We live in the mountains and hike/backpack quite a bit and our dog is always with us. So... we are looking for a female, black/tan (or red) dog with a gentle temperament.. I have a friend that does SARs work and her dogs are great but way to "high drive" for me. My past dogs all went 90 lbs, big females, sure would like to find one a bit smaller. I have been on the websites of the 2 breeders in Pilot Hill. I have also read about the breeder in Angels Camp mentioned in another post. We would like to find one within a few hrs our here since I would like to visit the kennel, see the dogs and puppies before bringing one home. This might sound na´ve, but is it common for a breeder to have 2-3 litters going at once? Seems like a lot of dogs to be taking care of. Thank you for any help.

mspiker03 12-14-2013 12:12 PM

I don't have any advice on breeders (although based on past threads - some of them being in the way past- I know who I probably would steer clear of, or at least go into it very cautiously), but wanted to say hi (missed your intro thread). I have also in N. Lake Tahoe :) There is also another member from here as well - her pup is almost the same age as my youngster, so we get together when we can. Neither of my dogs came from this area though (nor did hers for that matter).

I am sorry to hear about Greta.

Katy1985 12-14-2013 02:09 PM

Hi! I am in Truckee, how old are your dogs? Do you work your dog? My husband always said Greta was an ambassador for german shepherds due to her gentle demeanor. We travel to mexico frequently and the dog comes. Mexicans are afraid of large dogs but we could eventually form relationships with those afraid and by the end of the visit they were hugging Greta, great to see with the children and grandmothers. This is why we are looking for a dog with more of a medium drive that is protective when necessary but still sweet. We can travel to the bay area or anywhere 3-4 hrs away. I really want to be able to see the kennel and other dogs.

mspiker03 12-14-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katy1985 (Post 4670226)
Hi! I am in Truckee, how old are your dogs? Do you work your dog? My husband always said Greta was an ambassador for german shepherds due to her gentle demeanor. We travel to mexico frequently and the dog comes. Mexicans are afraid of large dogs but we could eventually form relationships with those afraid and by the end of the visit they were hugging Greta, great to see with the children and grandmothers. This is why we are looking for a dog with more of a medium drive that is protective when necessary but still sweet. We can travel to the bay area or anywhere 3-4 hrs away. I really want to be able to see the kennel and other dogs.

I am on the other side of the hill :)

My older female is 9. I did herd with her and her brother (who we lost this past March). She comes out of retirement every couple of weeks to 'play' with the sheep when I take the pupster. Paisley is now 8 months old and she herds and we are starting Nosework in Reno this January. The other member in the area that I mentioned does SAR with her dog (who is actually a 6 month old Dutch Shepherd).